• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid 80s Shelby's,

aceofspades

Local time
2:40 PM
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but could I take a turbo off of one of these monsters and use it on my low compression 8:1 360?

Your engine is nearly three times the size of the little Shelby. I don't think it's the best option, but if it's free...

Your engine is nearly three times the size of the little Shelby. I don't think it's the best option, but if it's free...

That's a good point. My thought was the fact that (from what I hear) too much boost can fry your engine unless it's built for it.

In theory, a smaller turbo would prevent that and give it just enough kick for a little more speed. Then again, I might be wrong and might as well hook up a hair dryer without the heating element LOL.

Makes sense though, use a turbo designed for s 360 or just build the 360 for more power.

Or use two of them....A friend used 2, 4 cylinder Ford turbos on a small block Chevy. Looked and ran great. I bet there are allot of the 80's Mopar turbos out there to be found.

A small turbo on a bigger engine will spool very quickly and give a ton of speed off the line and most likely have no turbo lag at all but then it'll hurt you some on the top end. A larger hair dryer will have some lag when stomped off the line but will give you good mid to upper power.

"A larger hair dryer will have some lag when stomped off the line but will give you good mid to upper power."

:rofl:

Or use two of them....A friend used 2, 4 cylinder Ford turbos on a small block Chevy. Looked and ran great. I bet there are allot of the 80's Mopar turbos out there to be found.

Twin turbo...not a bad idea. We all know there's a ton of room under the hood of a D100.

In case you missed it, I recently found a twin turbo draw-through set up from an rx7 in my dumpster.

I have fairly good intelligence that indicates it was simply removed to install a much larger single turbo. It is complete with the intake and exhaust pipes.

It looks like with some pipe trimming and additions and a a fabricated extension between the rx manifold and a "regular" intake, it could be workable to add to my D100.

If only there were a simple way to do the controlling, etc.

I did a little research and there were about 1350 twin turbo rx7s made.

I should probably just sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back