• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milodon transmission dipstick...check in park with a CRT Valvebody?

Brewzer67

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
I just had my trans rebuilt with a CRT full manual reverse VB with no transbrake and put in a new converter from Ultimate. At the same time this was done I switched to a Milodon dipstick. On the dipstick it says to check the fluid in park which goes against the usual 727 check in neutral scenario. Does anyone know if they marked their stick differently, or is this just a holdover from the fact they use the same stick for everyone? And does anyone know if I can check the level in park with John's valvebody? I could with my old TF-2 Transgo kit.

the pump doesn't work in park. I don't think valvebody has anything to do with it. check in neutral.

How much fluid is in the trans ? Can't check the dipstick until you know what you are checking. It is easy to mark any dipstick once you have established the full fluid level. The same as installing an oil pan that holds more oil and remarking the dipstick level.

You could call Cope and ask.
Mike
I will as far as the check in park vs. neutral from the valve bodies perspective, but I am more interested in getting the answer from the dipstick side of the equation. I know for sure I can check in neutral and the level will reflect properly, but I don't know what "properly" is on the dipstick because it says on the dipstick itself to check while the vehicle is in park. On a Mopar that would almost always be a fluid level higher than when in neutral so I would be getting a false full if I did so.

How much fluid is in the trans ? Can't check the dipstick until you know what you are checking. It is easy to mark any dipstick once you have established the full fluid level. The same as installing an oil pan that holds more oil and remarking the dipstick level.
Theoretically it shouldn't matter how much you change the capacity of the oil pan or the tranny pan. Full would still be the same distance below the machined surface that the dipstick goes into. As long as the dipstick is made to have the same amount protrude below that level, full will be full. It will just mean there is more volume under the surface you are dipping the stick into. If I had the old stick to compare it to this would be a non issue but the old one was not the original and was a "guesstimate" that worked for me for the life of the last tranny. I can use that as a reference for the new Milodon one, but I would rather know if anyone has personal experience that can say "yes, I replaced my factory stick with a Milodon one and they measured the same". I'd definitely rather know for sure than guess.

I just installed my trans the other day and I'm pretty sure the instructions from my Cope r/m valvebody mirror factory - check while running in N with the trans at full operating temperature.

That said, I have an OEM 727 dipstick on my bench (decided to try the lokar). Later today I'll check how far the stick penetrates into the trans case... and post some pix.

Ok, looks like I have to correct myself a bit. Cope's install instructions make no mention of the process for refilling, but in talking with the tech guy, follow the OEM.

Now, regarding the dip stick, looks like mine is a Delco unit, not OEM, and says the same thing as yours.

That said, here are my dimensions... all said and done, full hot is from 1/4" below hole on the trans case to 3/8" *above* the hole (range is 5/8" on the dip stick).

From the looks of it, the tube penetrated 1-1/16" into case, but that seems like a lot... can anyone confirm this?
IMG_5673.JPG

Stick extends 5/16" past tube...
IMG_5674.JPG

Full hot mark is 1-3/4" up from bottom of stick...
IMG_5675.JPG

That model number 15531900 is a Delco.
IMG_5678.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back