• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Misaligned trunk lid.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
I need some ideas about how to get the right side lip down level. The rear lip is tilted up on the right corner a bit. It's not a factor of adjusting the mounts, at least I don't think so. I have played with it a lot to no avail. It must be warped. Also the corners to the front of the lid are right but the middle is blow the body under the rear window. ? Help?

WP_20170912_17_45_49_Pro.jpg WP_20170912_17_45_56_Pro.jpg

Got it on my 69. It's called 'a characteristic. If ever redone, I will leave it alone. That's how it was screwed together in May of 69 at Lynch Road. It will remain.

Last edited:
Put a 4x4 block of wood under the low end and give the high side a shove down. Tweak that baby straight again...just dont get over agressive...little at a time.

I have found that my hood has a high spot in the middle. When you are sitting in the car, you can see it poking up above the cowl. I have not yet decided whether I am going to bend it or leave it. I think some of this stuff is from the factory as Dennis said. As for your trunk, I agree, a piece of wood and tweak it down.

Thanks. I thought of that but was hesitant about trying it. I don't want to ruin a deck lid I have done so much fabrication on. But, i'll give it a shot today. Can I do it while mounted on the car? Or do I have to take it off?

I went round and round trying to get my trunk lid alignment to an acceptable point. I never got it perfect, they just aren't made that way. I know you have a lot of work in the lid so proceed with caution. A bottle jack would work also just use some 2x4s to spread the load. You can go thru the back seat with the trunk closed but at our age it might be a little difficult. Good luck!

I have not mounted the trunk latch yet but I DID finally weld in a new trunk floor. I have the right/left & rear corner height correct, Also have the front/back correct. Just the center of the forward edge is lower than the rear window bottom panel and the rear right corner is hanging up by about 1/4". I guess I'll have to place a wood block in the center as well and push down on both corners.

isn't there rubber bumper on each side? or does it just sit on the gasket?...... get the low side to sit proper and pull the high side down with the latch

Our 67 is like that too, low in the middle at the rear window. I'm starting body work now and haven't figured out what I want to with it yet.

Auto Transport Service
Back