• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern B5 blue formula variations?

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
7:14 AM
Reaction score
Anyone know if there are any variations in the modern B5 blue during 2015-2018 model years?

With the 451 taken care of, I might just have the bodywork and spray on the list this next year and th modern B5 really strikes me over the 69 version.

2018 formula may be different since they've added new colors for the 18 models. Other than that 15-17 is probaly all the same. I really like the new color Destroyer Grey

I feel your pain 413. My painter recommended test panels. I was shocked at the different variations. I kept seeing green in the major brands colors. I was looking for what Plymouth called dark blue metallic. I learned that what I remembered and liked was either wrong,different, or hard to reproduce. I also learned that I am happier with MY vision and memory more than fact. I settled on a custom mix of a late model Chrysler dark metallic with more of the late model fleck than stock and a touch of blue pearl. Having had a lot of iron painted over the years this is the first one that I am happier with every time I look at it. The combination of the test panels,you can look at these in all kind of light,(Sun,Cloud,Mercury vapor,whatever and compare),and the best quality artist you can find and afford and put up with really paid off. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. It's a labor of love. Dave

I still have a gallon (big imperial 4.54 liter gallon) of B5 lacquer with lead that I bought long ago. I wonder if I should put it on the paint shaker and see what comes out...

This is jeep hydro blue metallic. Code PBJ. I believe 2014 to present.
20170715_145525.jpg

When B5 came back I painted a 69 Dart in it, ~2011. At the time it wasn't in the PPG system yet but kept showing up as Surf Blue. Turned out it was already a color the Chrysler had in the hopper.

IMG_0237.JPG

I'm a blue fan and love B5, even from back then. I think if you did a prime spray out from all B5 late model Challengers, years, they would be pretty darn close. Go to the local paint shop supplier that mixes paint. They can tell you if the formulas changed for whatever line they carry.

I'll bet that car is the same color as the Dart. Photos make it pretty hard to look at color unless the two cars are in the same picture.

I've been contemplating that color as well, I like the satin type look...

Exactly, it's satin-ish, yet tons of pearl. The original single stage never had a deep clearcoat look, so this modern interpretation sort of hits on that

And to make matters worse, can't seem to get @bherman 's goldrush 66 satty outa my head.

I guess I'm more undecided than I thought. :rolleyes:

IMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5894.JPG

This is Egyptian Gold and Light Gold Metallic from The Coatings Store...also a couple of my picks...I think they would look awesome with a black vinyl top...

MGC-G33 Egyptian Gold [600px] (1).jpg Light Gold.jpg

How the heck did we get here from a B5 blue discussion?.........LOL, Brian.
I get it. Picking color is one of those deals that can bite you in the butt. Test panels really worked for me. Dave

On base colors, the color / shade of the sealer underneath the base will change things a lot. wish to drag that b5 into the dark end seal it with a black sealer, want to really lighten it up go with a white sealer several shades or grey in there to play with also. Do your spray out cards, waste some color until your happy.
The gun and tip size will change up the metallic lay out from one shop / job to the next and make the same paint code look to be a different color.

On a whim I decided to hit the 2 Dodge dealers on my way home from work the other day. Just looking to see the B5 in person. Typical NJ highway dealer - lots of stock, no B5 and the sales staff came out to harass me yet never heard of the color.

What a waste of time.

:wtf:

Auto Transport Service
Back