• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Bullitt build

More outstanding work Pat, hard to believe how you keep things looking so tidy but looking at all the masking tape it just shows patience is the key. Love seeing it get coated in Epoxy, only means things are getting close:thumbsup:.

Rear brake vents look super cool too, great idea.

Thank you sir, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be shooting this car by September ???
Pat

Let me know if you ever make it to the Nats or anywhere within a few hour drive of me so I can check it out, love to see it in person.

Let me know if you ever make it to the Nats or anywhere within a few hour drive of me so I can check it out, love to see it in person.
Thank you sir, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be shooting this car by September ???
Pat
hey Pat, keep showing the pics of the really clean primed chassis! me, just spent all day laying on my side and back sanding the inside of the trunk, underside of Dutchman panel and speaker tray. wanting to get epoxy on next week.
Question for Pat or others, how did you decide all metalwork was complete and ready for first paint? thinking about setting on a rolling chair and writing everything that need completed or purchased as I roll around looking in great detail. I know some items are months or even a year way, but need to cover every base that is possible before paint.
Just wondering, let me know]
other Pat in tennessee

I go to Carlisl every year but I've never been to the Nats but maybe next year I'll plan on it! Which of the two shows is better?
Thanks
Pat

hey Pat, keep showing the pics of the really clean primed chassis! me, just spent all day laying on my side and back sanding the inside of the trunk, underside of Dutchman panel and speaker tray. wanting to get epoxy on next week.
Question for Pat or others, how did you decide all metalwork was complete and ready for first paint? thinking about setting on a rolling chair and writing everything that need completed or purchased as I roll around looking in great detail. I know some items are months or even a year way, but need to cover every base that is possible before paint.
Just wondering, let me know]
other Pat in tennessee

Pat,
I think you should be somewhere between good enough and excessive, when it comes to knowing when you're ready for paint. I like to favor the excessive side ;-)
Thanks
Pat

The Nats has racing. Apart from that, Carlisle is the place to be !! I did the Nats for close to 20 years straight but for the past 10 I've been hooked on Carlisle. And if you want racing, there's the 1/8th mile not far out of town at Carlisle.

A lot of guys complain parts prices are higher at the Nats. I don't know how you make that statement unless you see the same guys selling the same part at both places and the price is jacked at the Nats !!

I go to Carlisl every year but I've never been to the Nats but maybe next year I'll plan on it! Which of the two shows is better?
Thanks
Pat
It all depends on who you ask, for me it's the Nats hands down but I'm a bit ADD and need the amusement haha. In all seriousness Carlisle is better organized with the cars organized in classes but the Nats has drag racing and a dyno going all day. The Nats is still a very big show with a lot of vendors, don't know which is bigger?????

It all depends on who you ask, for me it's the Nats hands down but I'm a bit ADD and need the amusement haha. In all seriousness Carlisle is better organized with the cars organized in classes but the Nats has drag racing and a dyno going all day. The Nats is still a very big show with a lot of vendors, don't know which is bigger?????
Pat, thanks for your reply. not trying to take the thread elsewhere. I like the Nats as it is only 300 miles for me. the Carlisle show is almost 650 miles for me. the Nats is all you want for one day. the Carlisle show is two big for one day. I also try to look at the weather. Twice I have been to Carlisle and it was so hot we were worn out at lunch. If you have kids, Hershey park is just a few miles away.
just my 2 cents.
pat in Tennessee

Pat, thanks for your reply. not trying to take the thread elsewhere. I like the Nats as it is only 300 miles for me. the Carlisle show is almost 650 miles for me. the Nats is all you want for one day. the Carlisle show is two big for one day. I also try to look at the weather. Twice I have been to Carlisle and it was so hot we were worn out at lunch. If you have kids, Hershey park is just a few miles away.
just my 2 cents.
pat in Tennessee

Pat, Its only a 2 hour drive for me to Carlisle so I go to 3 or 4 of the Carlisle events each year just to get a hot Italian sausage and look at the cars for sale! As I never been to the Nat's if I finish this Charger buy next summer I will plan on going! I hope the food is as good ;-)
Thanks
Pat

I made the aluminum rear brake vents using my cardboard template. After welding them together and grinding most of the welds down I used a air tool with a medium Scotch-Brite pad to finish off and smooth out the welds. The Scotch-Brite pad is very user friendly and fast when working with aluminum.
Thanks
Pat

image_zpswnz1dcdj.jpg

image_zpsy1hmaofk.jpg

image_zpswp9ewj8v.jpg

image_zpsup6iuen7.jpg

image_zps0iyjewyu.jpg

image_zpsblwc8zoz.jpg

The only downside I see to this is that you'll be pulling hot air off the pavement. There's a reason race cars run the ducts off the top of the body. The air isn't much cooler but it IS cooler.

very nice work though

The only downside I see to this is that you'll be pulling hot air off the pavement. There's a reason race cars run the ducts off the top of the body. The air isn't much cooler but it IS cooler.

very nice work though

There is always a fine line between form & function but for me not at the expense of the original 1968 body lines. As for road temp my rear brake cooling ducts are not much lower then most front brake cooling ducts?
Thanks
Pat

Not a productive weekend on the charger as I went to Carlisle, but I did spray some hi build primer on the hood and trunk lid today.
Thanks
Pat

image_zpsgunpjuqb.jpg

Looks great Pat you are on the home stretch now. I just started my build thread for my 68. I can look yours over and over ad dream mine could be like that but I wont ever be able to take it to that level. But you have sure done an amazing job on yours.

Looks great Pat you are on the home stretch now. I just started my build thread for my 68. I can look yours over and over ad dream mine could be like that but I wont ever be able to take it to that level. But you have sure done an amazing job on yours.

I will feel like I'm getting closed to the end after I get this car painted and buffed out.
Good to hear that you're going to be starting your project I'll look forward to watching your updates! Let me know if I can help in anyway!
Thank you!
Pat

Well Pat, thank you and it would be an understatement to say I was the only one here watching your build with envy. You are a master craftsman and should be proud. Yours is the kind of car we see in SEMA battle of builders or should be. And I am sure I will be taking you up on your offer. Again thank you.

Finally I have removed all of the original paint and primer except for A small section at the center rear valance. She's all prepped and ready for epoxy primer just need the shop to cool off a little.

image_zpsxjjccapu.jpg

image_zps017ibypv.jpg

image_zpscbyppx4q.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back