• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern tools that didn't actually exist before

I've had Dewalt drills for several years. Started with 18v, but the battery was so big it made the drill extremely heavy. Batteries didn't seem to last very long either so one day a few years ago I was on fleabay and saw an adapter to put a 20v battery in a 18v Dewalt tool, so I bought one to try, and it worked great. The 20v battery is smaller but the extra voltage makes my drill really good. It says to not use the adapter on drills but I did any way because a new drill is cheaper then batteries. Ben running it for close to 10 years now with no issues. I wanted a smaller drill a few years back and bought a 12v Rigid from HD. It is light and fits your hand great and the battery lasts quit a while. Plus it has a lifetime warranty.

View attachment 1555015
This type is really nice as a power screw driver. Really light so it is easy to "aim" and has enough power plus the adjustable slip clutch.
I have a 90's Ryobi with a 3/8" chuck, with a cord from before they made compact stuff like this with enough power to do the job. I used it for all kinds of stuff like that, but nowdays the cordless tools have duplicated the design without a cord so it sits on the shelf.
If you ever want longer run time on the battery, they make the slightly larger flat bottom design with more capacity that will snap right in there without adding ay real weight.
I bought a snap-on version of these at the flea market last summer for $20 with two batteries, but the one battery only lasts half as long as the other. Love it for what it does.

had a few Milwaukee power tools but they were corded but the one I still have is a Super Sawzall
Yep, have an electric one that's pretty cherry using it only a few times and now the battery one I haven't used yet. Wanted to compare them before I figure out what to do with the old one..

Sawzall.jpg

Been around OLD machinery and rebuilt some working at a machine shop; but that drill press must be from the 19 - teens or 20’s…not long after PTO stuff…maybe used a leather belt..

that thing was in the scrappers truck , i recued it from being crashed , same with my singer sewing machine , sorry no pics . same thing on this floor jack . a pic of the motor plate . oh ya this wagon was used for milk jugs delivery .

DSC00979.JPG

DSC00980.JPG

DSC00981.JPG

DSC03340.JPG

DSC06670.JPG

I have found that with some brands, they definitely have different grades for different markets.
I’ve seen some DeWalt and Milwaukee tools that wore out damn fast while others felt heavier and more durable and lasted awhile. Even these 1/2” drive impacts seem to have more than one model available.

Auto Transport Service
Back