• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moser Rear End Noise 8 3/4“

Super-Bee-69

Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
I got a new complete Moser Rear End with 489 case, 3.55:1 gears and TrueTrac installed by a professional Mopar Shop, best known for knowledge and good work.
My question now is: how much noise coming from the rear end is normal? There is a noticeable (a lot less, as from the old worn out stock gears) howling / whining on accel and decel still after 200-300 miles which sounds not completely right to me!
Would have expected, that there‘d be nearly no noise at all with a complete new piece set up properly?! Should I claim to have it dead quiet or take as is?

Cheers

Guido Hausmann

Last edited:
I never had a GOOD rear whine at all. I would talk with them about it.

I've only ever built my own and have never experienced any noise at all?

Are they 2 cut gears? Did you break them in right? Have you changed the lube and put the additive in?
Call the place you got it from.

I have heard that some new ring and pinions have noise naturally. Maybe a certain brand or the way they are made? And what are " 2 cut gears"? ....Any info?....................MO

I had new gears put in during my restoration and don’t hear anything. Never did with the old ones either. Doesn’t sound normal at all to me.....

Noise on accel AND decel? That's not a good sign. Generally, if the pinion dept is too deep, you'll get some noise on decel and noise on accel if the pinion depth is too shallow. Noise with both is usually bad gears. Good new gears should be quiet from the get go no matter if you use additive or not. Gear oil straight from the bottle is what gears take and the additive is usually for the LSD unit. And with 2-300 miles on them, they have most likely broke in. It doesn't take much to break in a set of gears. And I would also like to know what '2 cut gears' are.....

Most new gears are cut differently( 2 cut versus old 5 cut). Google it because i am not good enough to explain it. Break in is more important i have been told by someone much smarter than me. Drive it light for 10-15 miles. Let it cool then repeat a couple more times with milage increasing. Should run cooler each trip. Change the rear gear oil after 500 miles and only use enough limited slip additive to stop the chatter. Too much is not good.

Improper break in can cause noise for life. Temps too high breaks down the oil. Minor damage can occur.

Most new gears are cut differently( 2 cut versus old 5 cut). Google it because i am not good enough to explain it. Break in is more important i have been told by someone much smarter than me. Drive it light for 10-15 miles. Let it cool then repeat a couple more times with milage increasing. Should run cooler each trip. Change the rear gear oil after 500 miles and only use enough limited slip additive to stop the chatter. Too much is not good.

Improper break in can cause noise for life. Temps too high breaks down the oil. Minor damage can occur.
That break in procedure has been around for a long time. What does the factory do? This very question has been brought up in the past too....

This tool is pretty much just like the one I have.....

Auto Transport Service
Back