• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mounting an alternator with electric drive water pump?

mclarkphotos

Local time
10:10 PM
Reaction score
1972 Dodge Charger, set up for drag. Has electric drive factory water pump, front engine plate (Elephant Ears) and I need to mount an alternator !!!! I want to mount it on the passenger side (water pump outlet on the driver side). There has to be someone out there that has done this???:icon_scratch:

Alright I finally get to help someone. Well maybe?

I am running a Mancini electric waterpump with an alternator and elephant ears. This is a little different from yours but hope this helps some.

I got a Moroso underdrive crank pulley but also had to get a spacer for the pulley due to the thinkness of the elephant ears. Mancini has both the Moroso pulley and spacer. Measure the thickness of ears because they have a few different thinknesses to match the ears. I put the pulley/spacer on and aligned the alt. and haven't had an issue yet. I have had it well over 7000rpm.
I went to NAPA and got a belt(part #7395) it was 40 1/8 long and a very tight fit. The alt. was bottomed out as far as adjustments go(stock alt. bracket) and had to use a little elbow grease to make the belt go on the alt pulley. It didn't take much to make the belt tight though.
If you need pics let me know, I am sure I could get some for you.

I'm using a Mr. Gasket electric water pump drive kit and I'm being forced to mount the alternator down low because of the water pump pully. I need to mount the alternator on the low passenger side. I've seen a image of one of the set ups but can't find who makes it...
blackcar7-08Engb.jpg

i run a DMI low mount alternator bracket and east coast alternator 1 wire. great neat efficient setup.
605B1MOTOR3581HEMIENGINE003.jpg

Here is my set up. My elephant ears had a alt. notch machined in it.

104.jpg

106.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back