• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moving with a rusted front frame

What does the other side look like?

Is there an engine in the car?

I had a 66 Coronet 4 door parts car with frame rust in the same area.
Inside and bottom were gone.
Top and outside were still there.
I drove that car.
...and it drove good. No steering issues or odd noises.
The other side has a metal plate my brother welded in to support it years ago. So it was patched, but no telling how well.

The engine is still in and we've considered removing.i was hoping to wait until I'm here to remove it so nothing gets lost and I can tag & bag everything.

Seven hundred miles of the car bouncing on a trailer? I would worry about flexing the inner fenders, possibly the firewall? You could possibly be in a position where once the car is done, the front end guy might have a problem getting the car aligned. You might have issues lining up fenders and the hood during assembly? Granted. you might have those issues anyway if the frame rail repair isn't right. I would take EVERY precaution. Better safe than sorry. Remove the motor. come up with some way to splint/brace/support/secure the rusted frame rail. It is more work up front; but how are you going to feel if take the, "that's good enough" approach and end up doing more damage.

Last edited:
Seven hundred miles of the car bouncing on a trailer? I would worry about flexing the inner fenders, possibly the firewall? You could possibly be in a position where once the car is done, the front end guy might have a problem getting the car aligned. You might have issues lining up fenders and the hood during assembly? Granted. you might have those issues anyway if the frame rail repair isn't right. I would take EVERY precaution. Better safe than sorry. Remove the motor. come up with some way to splint/brace/support/secure the rusted frame rail. It is more work up front; but how are you going to feel if take the, "that's good enough" approach and end up doing more damage.
RT6PK, thanks for the advice. Does it change at all if I tell you I'm planning to take the shell (whatever remains) to a reputable chassis/body shop so the "foundation" ends up correct (I'd still hate to make it worse than it is)? We're still considering all options including removing the engine. I was hoping that if we could brace it at the front support locations (pic below) on the trailer with a 2x8 across bracing it from bouncing too much we might be ok. And maybe a 2nd brace under the KFrame. Again that would be rolling the bones a bit. I have 3-4 weeks to come up with a reasonable plan.

And now the pic I was referring too :)

SupportLocations-FrameContactHoist.PNG

the frame rails were that bad or worse on my road runner i put it on a trailer to get it home and it was fine now it has new frame rails installed

Put a block that's slightly taller than the distance from the frame to the trailer under the front jacking point in the diagram above and strap it down so the block won't move.

for what it's worth, I've moved (dragged) rusty cars around my yard and into the shop with a chain........ never got lucky enough to have the rot fall off

Put a block that's slightly taller than the distance from the frame to the trailer under the front jacking point in the diagram above and strap it down so the block won't move.
Thanks - that's how we're leaning atm.

I would wonder about the torsion bar sockets ripping out lol.
Again, wouldn't matter since they're already toast.

or you could pull the motor and sawzall off the bad stuff.......... you be shocked at how light it becomes

I took a 4x4 block,cut a grove in it with a circular saw,and put the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker panel in the grove, Then I used other blocks under it until it reached the deck of the trailer and strapped the car down.

I took a 4x4 block,cut a grove in it with a circular saw,and put the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker panel in the grove, Then I used other blocks under it until it reached the deck of the trailer and strapped the car down.
Thanks - that's what we were thinking. Glad to know someone had success with that method.

Auto Transport Service
Back