• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1965 Road Racing Belvedere II

Did Moser powder coat the diff for you? When I talked to a Moser rep at an NHRA event, they said they don't do powder coating anymore. I ended up going with a Strange S60.

Cool car.
Thanks. I'm surprised someone told you that, they offer the powder coating in several colors. Red is a bit of a standout, but I kinda like the contrast and it's their signature color so I figured 'why not' on this one.
powdercoat.jpg

As promised, I just published the rearend/rear suspension article and wanted to show you what we've done to get a coilover rear suspension. There was a little cutting, a LOT of welding, and definitely a bit of fabrication.

Moser Engineering was great working with on this project, they sent us a bare M9 housing sans bracing and flanges so that we could tack weld all the suspension brackets in place. From there, it went back to Moser for the finish welding, adding braces and flanges, and to get powdercoated. I simply told them: It needs to be two inches narrower than a stock 1965 B body rearend, but I wanted the Big Ford (Set 20) Torino bearings/Flanges. They nailed it, of course, and it all fit exactly as expected.
2017-02-24_19-29-34.jpg

Here's the article, let me know what you think: Custom Four-Link Control Freak Suspensions setup with Moser Engineering
Thanks!
I read that this morning, Newsletter it's a really nice set up...

should work out great too

keep us posted

MIchael,

Saw your car at the LX SpringFest yesterday, but didn't see you! I know, out taking pictures and covering the event. How is the ride so far? What rear gears did you go with??

Jeff
MOPAR Club San Diego

Thanks. I'm surprised someone told you that, they offer the powder coating in several colors. Red is a bit of a standout, but I kinda like the contrast and it's their signature color so I figured 'why not' on this one.
View attachment 403291
Howzit looking for Spring Fling, 65 RR?
Im 90 % sure we'll make it. I cant wait to see Your Bel ll Man!

MIchael,

Saw your car at the LX SpringFest yesterday, but didn't see you! I know, out taking pictures and covering the event. How is the ride so far? What rear gears did you go with??

Jeff
MOPAR Club San Diego
Hi Jeff-
I went with 3.25:1 gearing on the 9-inch rearend. Since I drive the car a lot I would rather have freeway gears for better mileage. I think I'm at about 16-17 mpg with the overdrive now.

Howzit looking for Spring Fling, 65 RR?
Im 90 % sure we'll make it. I cant wait to see Your Bel ll Man!
I'm planning on going, I'm not sure which day - maybe Sunday. I wanted to do the Willow Springs Run on Thursday, but I can't get the day off and I am still waiting on new front wheels to arrive. I'm loving the new suspension setup, it's working well! Be sure to stop by if you see me and say hello

So how does the steering rack stack up verses the borgson unit?

So how does the steering rack stack up verses the borgson unit?
I was completely satisfied with the Borgeson steering box, it never gave me any problems and if this kit didn't require the change, I would have stayed with the Borgeson just because I was happy with it. That said, it doesn't mean this R&P isn't up to par, it works well and I'm happy with it also. I took a very winding road pretty quick and the handling was great, so no disappointments with the Flaming River rack and column.

This is really one of those situations where both systems are equally functional, and you choose based on your requirement (front vs rear steer) rather than on your preference.

I was completely satisfied with the Borgeson steering box, it never gave me any problems and if this kit didn't require the change, I would have stayed with the Borgeson just because I was happy with it. That said, it doesn't mean this R&P isn't up to par, it works well and I'm happy with it also. I took a very winding road pretty quick and the handling was great, so no disappointments with the Flaming River rack and column.

This is really one of those situations where both systems are equally functional, and you choose based on your requirement (front vs rear steer) rather than on your preference.

Perfect thanks, its exactly what I wanted to hear. I want to retain my torsion set up so I am looking to do the Borgeson over our winter but just wanted to know how it stacked up verses a R&P which everyone seems to rave about.

Are you still using the QA1 upper control arm and strut rods? How do you like them?
I definitely need to replace the strut rods on my 65 Coronet and I think the UCA's threads for the ball joint are getting pretty worn out. I am looking at the P-S-T's but they are a bit more expensive.

Are you still using the QA1 upper control arm and strut rods? How do you like them?
I definitely need to replace the strut rods on my 65 Coronet and I think the UCA's threads for the ball joint are getting pretty worn out. I am looking at the P-S-T's but they are a bit more expensive.
No, when I went to coilovers and a whole new front setup, it eliminates the OE-style setup altogether. There's one person interested in the CAs and strut rods, I'm waiting to hear back from him if he is still interested. Otherwise, I'm trying to sell the upper and lower arms, adjustable shocks, and strut rods as a complete set.

No, when I went to coilovers and a whole new front setup, it eliminates the OE-style setup altogether. There's one person interested in the CAs and strut rods, I'm waiting to hear back from him if he is still interested. Otherwise, I'm trying to sell the upper and lower arms, adjustable shocks, and strut rods as a complete set.

Well dang. I forgot that you had upgraded to coilovers and the control freak front setup. I had gone back through the thread before asking the question too. :BangHead: I just went to Street Muscle Magazine and looked up the article again, sounds like a great setup. Thanks.

Well dang. I forgot that you had upgraded to coilovers and the control freak front setup. I had gone back through the thread before asking the question too. :BangHead: I just went to Street Muscle Magazine and looked up the article again, sounds like a great setup. Thanks.
I have yet to take it to the track to see, but I can say this: the car handles phenominally well now. I took a turn with a 20 mph suggested speed at about 45 and it felt solid and tight. I didn't get the car completed in time for our last outing to Willow, but I'll find a track day soon and bring it up there.

Now that the suspension is in the car and I've been able to put some miles on it and make some adjustments, that leaves one more modification that I need to make: I need more power, this ~325hp Poly isn't cutting it. I'm collecting parts and have my block at the machine shop, and have a borrowed block for mock up.

I'm going with a FAST XFI port fuel injection on a stroker Mopar small block, with Magnum heads and a Super Victor LA intake (we're drilling the heads for the LA) and will run a COMP cam and Scat rotating assy with custom JE Pistons. And there are some other goodies that I can't talk about right now. ;)

test01.jpg test02.jpg

Now that the suspension is in the car and I've been able to put some miles on it and make some adjustments, that leaves one more modification that I need to make: I need more power, this ~325hp Poly isn't cutting it. I'm collecting parts and have my block at the machine shop, and have a borrowed block for mock up.

I'm going with a FAST XFI port fuel injection on a stroker Mopar small block, with Magnum heads and a Super Victor LA intake (we're drilling the heads for the LA) and will run a COMP cam and Scat rotating assy with custom JE Pistons. And there are some other goodies that I can't talk about right now. ;)

View attachment 421437 View attachment 421438
Kool Beans!

Just read the install article on the SLTV site. Nice. I like that they are using a double shear mount on the lower arms unlike what most of the other companies use and it kind of looks like the frame to frame mount is along the lines of the DSE setup for the Stangs in relation to hooking the upper arms/coilover structure to the lower frame. Will be watching for more posts as you put the wood to it to see how it lasts.

So we just published the front suspension article, and I've been driving the car as some of you know. I'm still making little tweaks here and there, but the bottom lin is the can hangs like it's on rails, and it's a nice ride. The coilovers are awesome, and I've driven the car now about 1500 miles since the suspension was installed. I still have a few things left to do, and it looks like Willow Springs will have to wait until October when our next track day is. I hoped for the last one but we missed it by a month, and I'm still not sure if the car is ready to hit turns at 100 mph.

So I'll get the alignment rechecked now that the springs have settled a bit and I'll put another couple hundred miles on again and recheck all the bolts. Sadly, I found a few that were loose - they were never tightened during the install, and that was not a good thing to find out. Fortunately I found them before taking a long trip.
I gotta say... I love the stance.

belvedererearshot.jpg

So we just published the front suspension article, and I've been driving the car as some of you know. I'm still making little tweaks here and there, but the bottom lin is the can hangs like it's on rails, and it's a nice ride. The coilovers are awesome, and I've driven the car now about 1500 miles since the suspension was installed. I still have a few things left to do, and it looks like Willow Springs will have to wait until October when our next track day is. I hoped for the last one but we missed it by a month, and I'm still not sure if the car is ready to hit turns at 100 mph.

So I'll get the alignment rechecked now that the springs have settled a bit and I'll put another couple hundred miles on again and recheck all the bolts. Sadly, I found a few that were loose - they were never tightened during the install, and that was not a good thing to find out. Fortunately I found them before taking a long trip.
I gotta say... I love the stance.

View attachment 428279
I assume that was written before you decided to do the job change...

It was a good write up too, thanks...

Good luck sounds like fun...

--------------------------------------------------------------

just curious;
Are they the Street Muscle publishers helping pay for any of that stuff ?
or is the Control Freak co. sponsoring any of it for advert. ?
or promotional considerations etc. ?

hopefully a discount @ min. ?

If so, will your new gig do the same thing ?

Auto Transport Service
Back