• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 1967 Belvedere Convertible Plans and Restoration (aka - Mad Scientist Build)

You've got to be kidding me . . . is this for real . . .

So I decided that I need to get the bearing off the axles so I can get the measurements that I need to order my new axles . . . needing a "much longer" puller, I ran to the steel mill and picked up some steel for some extensions for my puller . . .

Here's the set up . . . ready . . . ( at least I thought I was ready ) to get these things pulled off . . .

am_removebearing01.jpg

Got them hooked on the bearings like I nee them . . .

am_removebearing02.jpg

And I even thought I was getting some movement . . . ( yeah . . . I was seriously dreaming . . . )

am_removebearing03.jpg

So 747Mopar ( Devin ) tell me you have to split the collar . . . ok, so I split it . . . and the BAS**RD is still not even budging . . .

am_removebearing04.jpg

So tomorrow I'm going to take the cut off wheel to the bearing and get it out of me way . . .
good think I don't need these axles anymore . . .

LOL, who knows what they'll look like tomorrow . . .

Look out . . . they're coming off one way or another . . .

These bearings are being a "bear" . . . I know, I told you so . . .

So my engineer friend told me a little trick, load up the puller as best as you can, then "smack" the end of the axle to help jar the bearing loose . . . so I tried it
( it laughed at me and said "seriously", you really think that's going to work ? ? )

So I relented to my final answer . . . the 4 1/2" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel . . . and . . .

am_removebearing05.jpg

Got the first one off . . . got my adjuster off too, in one piece so I can reuse it ( if I don't find a new replacement part for it ) . . . and the numbers on the bearing to try and find replacements. Talked to the technical guys at Moser, they "only" sell green bearings now, they do not sell the tapered bearings - well great . . . now what do I do . . .

I just went to the local Napa and gave them the make model and year, no problem.

Time to fight with the other axle and bearings . . . the passenger side . . . since I knew that I needed to cut them off, it went much faster this time . . .

am_removebearing06.jpg

Story of my life . . . I "randomly" had the axle in some position on the ground when I started to cut through the bearings . . .
And to my luck . . . look at the picture below . . .
Both bearings were cut in the exact same location - right through the bearing number and the exact same numbers location
- what's the odds of that ? ! ? ! ? ! ?
. . . well . . . for me . . . looks like 100% . . . Unbelievable . . . .

am_removebearing07.jpg

Got all my measurements for the new axles . . . now to check with Summit and see if Strange can provide the tapered bearings since I know that Moser only does Green Bearings now . . . or figure out a plan to get it done - have Moser not charge me for the bearings so I can order them from Nappa . . .

LMAO always works out that way but like I said, give the local parts store the make, model and year and they should be able to look it up.

Got the door just about completely stripped . . . never thought the words "stripped" and "body parts" would be something that I don't want to see nor hear for a while . . .

But here's the progress on my door . . . soon ready to get some epoxy primer covering the bare metal . . .

sm_passdoorwork36.jpg

Just a couple spots in the deep valleys that need to get cleaned up . . .

sm_passdoorwork37.jpg

And then they'll get protected with epoxy primer ( which I'm sure I'll run as it gets applied . . . )

A while back I got a set of dimple dies so that I can "try" dimpling the metal for a custom look . . . and I've never taken them out of the box - yet . . . so last night I pulled them out and decided to give it a shot and see how it worked . . . ( or didn't work . . . time will tell ) . . .

So the first test, was a plain piece of steel to see what the process entailed . . . I tried a 2" hole . . . and here's the results . . .

sm_dimpledie01.jpg

Really happy with the results, and I really like to look too . . .

sm_dimpledie02.jpg

So then the next "test" was to find a place on the car that could be used as a Guinea pig . . . so I found this small area in the trunk - for the trunk torsion bars

sm_dimpledie03.jpg

Tight area, and "barely was able to fit them in the openings . . . but the results turned out very nice . . .

sm_dimpledie04.jpg

Now I'm ready to add some more "customization" to the car . . . where needed

( Goon - Fer racin' ! )

Looks very clean. Do you have any pics of the tool in progress? I've never seen it done before.

Looks very clean. Do you have any pics of the tool in progress? I've never seen it done before.

Most certainly . . . there are many ways that this can be done, but this is how I came up with "my plan" to get them done . . .

First of all, you have the dimple dies . . . the one on the right goes into the hole and the one on the left sits on top of the protrusion - when the 2 parts are compressed together

sm_howitworks01.jpg

As seen here - this is how the parts go together - to form the bend that you see . . .

Compression can be:
- using a C-clamp
- using a shop press
- you can run a bolt through the hole and tighten up a nut
- plenty of ways to make the compression . . . but I came up with a neat little "trick"

sm_howitworks02.jpg

First we need to make a hole in the metal . . . this could be the "fun" part . . . but bear with me . . .

Cutting the hole . . .
- you can use a hole saw, but the hole edges will not be very "clean" when you're done . . .
- but to accomplish my "trick", I need a hole in the metal to proceed . . .

So I drill a hole in the metal with a hole saw . . .

sm_howitworks03.jpg

Now for the most important part of this process . . . this is a Greenlee tool, that I borrowed from my friend, it's used to cut holes in panel boxes for electrical installations.
- the tool is hydraulic ( see the handle with the green cover on it )
- now to start with the setup . . .

sm_howitworks04.jpg

I've inserted one of the stems from the box ( top row, third from the left ) into the end of the tool
- then the cutting die is threaded on the end of the stem . . . ( showing a closeup of the cutting area )

sm_howitworks05.jpg

Now to get it set up properly, the metal is placed between the 2 dies as follows
- when you pump the handle the cutter on the right is pulled into the cup on the left . . .

sm_howitworks06.jpg

after the "cut" is completed . . . you'll have the following . . .
- a very "clean" cut hole in the metal
- (2) half moon shaped cut out that were pulled into the cup
- you release the pressure, unscrew the cutting head and you have the following . . .

sm_howitworks07.jpg

Now all that you need to do - is get the dimple die parts set up as follows
- and apply pressure to squeeze them together
- and the result is as you've seen above ( but how to accomplish it ? ? ? )

sm_howitworks08.jpg

The cutting tool works with hydraulics . . . so I wondered . . .
- would it work ? ? ?
- So I set up the dimple die in place of the cutting dies ( had to figure out a way they would all be supported properly )
- and cam up with the following stack-up . . . ( notice the cutter is on backwards on the end to pull against the inside die )

sm_howitworks09.jpg

Now, just pump the handle and pull the stem in, causing the dimple dies to compress the metal until they meet ( and can't go any further )

sm_howitworks10.jpg

The use of this tool was what allowed me to do the process on the car with relative "ease" . . .

Got out to the shop and spent a couple hours getting some things moved around ( while the weather is nice ) and then busted out the spray gun to get some epoxy primer on some of the bear metal that I've got on some of the parts I've bee working on lately . . . and things went pretty well . . .

First of all was the top of the trunk lid - I had stripped it a couple weeks ago and this was my first chance to get it in primer . . .
The amazing thing . . . no runs ! ! !

sm_trunklid01.jpg

Then I moved onto the passenger door . . . and started with some of the edges first . . .

sm_passdoorwork38.jpg

And the bottom too . . . trying to get it all well protected for the future . . .

sm_passdoorwork39.jpg

More of the edges . . . and still no runs . . . must have gotten lucky . . .

sm_passdoorwork40.jpg

Then I moved to the inside of the door . . . and that was a "whole lotta fun" in those tight, confined, spaces . . .
( those are the back sides of the welds for the trim molding holes that got welded up - the other hole was the door handle and will be cut out )

sm_passdoorwork41.jpg

More pictures of inside the doors . . . in epoxy primer . . . not looking too bad . . .

sm_passdoorwork42.jpg

Some of these areas are looking really good . . . I just want them covered and protected . . .

sm_passdoorwork43.jpg

On the top right is a bit of rust that I'll need to get back inside and get it covered with epoxy primer ( but it looks really good )

sm_passdoorwork44.jpg

I'll be going back inside the door tomorrow and get a second coat, and try and find the non covered areas and get them covered . . .

Agreed looking great and I love the dimple dye look. I've saved quite a few pics lately where cars have had some dimple dye in the hood compartment

Auto Transport Service
Back