• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 470

Definitely loved building my 426! I still can hardly believe it fired up without issue since it is my first.
Hope your enjoying the process as much as I did.

I'm having fun with it, but double, no, triple checking everything! Trying not to second guess myself, and my buddy Mike, is a text away. He's been pretty helpful.

Short block is together! My neighbor came over this morning and we got it done.

Still need to install pick up tube, gaskets, windage tray to button up the bottom end.

Don't mind my mess, lol!!

IMG_1742.JPG IMG_1743.JPG IMG_1745.JPG

Waiting on oil pick up tube and new rocker shafts. Then I'll button it up.

IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1092.JPG IMG_1094.JPG

Bottom end is buttoned up. The Fram filter is just there to keep crap out of the oil pump. Will be using a Wix when it comes in.

IMG_1095.JPG IMG_1096.JPG

Watching your progress, Zack. Haven't chimed in because you haven't screwed up yet...lol.

Well, I'll know if screwed up in a couple of weeks.

Forgot to say......a stock windage tray from Mopar Performance clears the rotating assembly by about a 1/4 inch at the crank throws. The pick up for my 402 pan just barely touches the windage tray and I had to "persuade" the screen part of the pick up to be level across the bottom of the pan.

Head is on and still need to check p2v clearance. Mocked the drivers side header on to make sure the bottom head bolts clear the header flange and also to check the oil dip stick tube. That doesn't fit worth ****, might bend my own out of stainless.....we will see.

IMG_1100.JPG

One way to 'get around it' (pun), is bend the stock oil stick tube, so it comes to the outside of the header.

Ahh...your having way too much fun!

I use a flexible Lokar dipstick. Attached it to inner fender. Works great.

I have a regular tube, it needs a certain bend on it to fit the tight confines of my A body (69' dart gt). There is a specific tube for the big block in an A body, but at the moment I don't feel like spending 50 smackers for it. I also have a Lokar flexible dipstick, it's od is to big to fit with my Borgenson power steering box and TTI headers.

As of now, I'm bending some stainless tube and if that don't work, I'll get the $50 specific tube.

Sorry I'm so late but I didn't hear anything about checking the distributor bushing with the dist. shaft; it's kinda late now if ur eng.guy didn't check it. Happened to me once & had to ream it out slightly.

The machine shop installed a new distributor bushing and checked it with my distributor drive shaft, all was good and I checked it again before engine assembly.

Here you can see the cheap Chinese made pile of crap next to the stainless tube that I bent up. It's 3/8's od and I had to sand the bottom to get it to fit in the block. A bit of rtv and I'm in business.

IMG_1101.JPG

looks nice.

which water pump, thermostat, and billet radiator neck are you using?

thanks,

watermelon

Water pump is from Edelbrock, water pump housing is 440source, thermostat is a Stanton 180 (drilled 3 1/16's holes for getting rid of the air),thermostat neck is billet "o"ringed from eBay. I've had this same combo on the 383 and worked just fine, so I transferred it to the 470.

That's a 6qt. pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back