• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My BUDGET 451 build... finally

413 Have you come up with a plan yet?

Boy, sorry to hear about your cam going south. We put an XE 274 H Comp cams in a 383, and no probs in 3 years. It's only .488/.491 lift. We used the break in oil supplied, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a used 509 thats been in a couple of 440s, and now resides in a 451. Still working well. I always keep the lifters on the same lobe they started on. Hope you get your 451 cleaned up and running soon. Good luck!

413 Have you come up with a plan yet?

Nah nothing yet. The past month I've been working a lot of hours / nights / weekends. Next weekend is the last one so after that I should have some time to tear into it.

- - - Updated - - -

Boy, sorry to hear about your cam going south. We put an XE 274 H Comp cams in a 383, and no probs in 3 years. It's only .488/.491 lift. We used the break in oil supplied, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have a used 509 thats been in a couple of 440s, and now resides in a 451. Still working well. I always keep the lifters on the same lobe they started on. Hope you get your 451 cleaned up and running soon. Good luck!

Yeah I hear ya, I'm shocked I wiped this cam out. My dad grew up pretty poor and used to take lifters out of junk yard motors if he needed to replace one. Never once had a problem.

Once we have it apart we should hopefully be able to nail down the cause.

This problem seems to occur more often than it should. I wonder if there is a way to monitor/check the cam condition during and just after the break in process. After all, there are 16 lifters/chances for this to happen in a V 8. I guess one way is to pull the valve covers after the 20 minute break in period, and see if any of the valve lash adjustments have gotten larger. Easy with a solid grind, not so easy I suppose with a hydraulic.

- - - Updated - - -

Also makes you wonder why one goes bad while the rest are OK.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I prefer a solid lifter cam. Then it's really easy to monitor changes, a problem will show up as valve train noise increases.

i really believe that some of today's profiles are just too aggressive for production tolerance blocks. weren't those voodoo cam lobes designed by "ultra-dyne Harold"? he had some pretty radical stuff if i remember correctly.

I am interested to see if you can determine a cause for the lobe/lifter failure. It makes sense that a piece of metal flashing scraping the bottom of a lifter for awhile could initiate a breakdown of the lifter face. Please let us know what the investigation reveals.

Nothing yet, fellas. Been working on the house and rental property but just finished them up, so the plan is to pull the motor perhaps by next week or so.

plan is to pull the motor perhaps by next week or so.

So do you think you are going to be able to salvage it and just do a clean up and replace the cam or do you think you're going to take it all the way down? I saw where you have your dolley ready to go...either way it still sucks I guess...

So do you think you are going to be able to salvage it and just do a clean up and replace the cam or do you think you're going to take it all the way down? I saw where you have your dolley ready to go...either way it still sucks I guess...

At this point, no idea. I don't have a lot of experience wth this sort of thing, so once I pull the motor hopefully i can have it inspected sooner than later and get it all back together.

been a while, but better late than never. Engine is at the builder's and will be ready in a couple weeks?

In the mean time, gussied up the ol 727 and add a fancy new pan from Trick Flow (made in the US!) and painted it body color. Even had a buddy weld in a bung for my temp sender.

IMG_5224.JPG

I'm using the old TRW 6-pack pistons, just below zero deck with milled (84cc) "902" casting heads (basically 346/452's) and my own home-brew Comp grind. It uses the XE285HL intake lobe, but I ran a bigger (251*/.545") exhaust lobe and spread the LSA to 112* for my huge-by-giant C-body wagon.
5300.jpg

I'm using the old TRW 6-pack pistons, just below zero deck with milled (84cc) "902" casting heads (basically 346/452's) and my own home-brew Comp grind. It uses the XE285HL intake lobe, but I ran a bigger (251*/.545") exhaust lobe and spread the LSA to 112* for my huge-by-giant C-body wagon.View attachment 437026

Sounds pretty good to me:

Auto Transport Service
Back