• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My BUDGET 451 build... finally

Wow I just caught this thread, good read...nice looking 727! Best of luck on the build HT that lobe looked like it went through a trash compactor! Hope you get to cruising it soon..

Wow I just caught this thread, good read...nice looking 727! Best of luck on the build HT that lobe looked like it went through a trash compactor! Hope you get to cruising it soon..

Thanks, my boy is real proud of that tranny. Yeah that lifter was toast. Amazing but the motor ran surprisingly well on 7 cyl! Slight ticking but otherwise...

Little update - motor is being rehoned, crank was inspected ok and is being re polished. Should be together soon!

This time around I decided to toss out the budget a little and upgrade the rods. Went with some Eagle H beams. You might recall when I first put the motor together I decided to stick with the LY's rather than upgrade the rods...
Rebalance should be done in a few days and assembly begins!

In the mean time I'll be dropping off the 727 next week for an inspection. Saw some garbage in the pan when I pulled it last, so it may be time for refresh. Either way, sure don't wanna yank the trans a week later. Thanks @bobtile for the trans guy.

Lots of progress. Trans is at the shop and will be gone through on Monday. Carb and being rebuilt and got the crank back from the balancer and will be laid in the block early next week.

In case anyone is interested, in going from LY's to Eagle H beams, the crank was off by 15 grams front and in back. The eagles were about 13 grams heavier than the LY's.

Engine's ready and waiting and the trans will be done tomorrow. Glad I had it gone through - pump was shot as was the direct drum. She flaired on the 2-3 shift, but other than that ran ok, considering.

Once it's all in place, I'll be measuring for a new driveshaft and maybe even some aftermarket axles..

Engine's ready and waiting and the trans will be done tomorrow. Glad I had it gone through - pump was shot as was the direct drum. She flaired on the 2-3 shift, but other than that ran ok, considering.

Once it's all in place, I'll be measuring for a new driveshaft and maybe even some aftermarket axles..
You'll be running before me!

My opinion?
Torque!

Flat out "Brutal and honest MOPAR tire shreding torque"
HP is for racing, higher RPM range is your horsepower range.

Driving around town with the kids and family for ice-cream and jumping on the "gas" throwing everyone back into the seats...and passing that 69 Camaro whose engine is built for horse Power...
That is torque!
Why not have both torque and h.p.? There sure is a bunch of "opinions" on here ! A lot of which are b.s.. There is no block that will benefit more from a girdle than a big block Chrysler, just by it`s design. The blocks are weak between the main and cam bearings, anything u can do to dampen the lower end pounding is desirable, Yes, just my opinion ! There are dyno`d 900 h.p. engines out there running a girdle and stock main caps. Mine is only around 700. Read all of everyones opinions and make up ur own mind .

Okey dokey. Well, trans and motor are friends again, so that's nice. Wife's due back in a little while so let's see if she can help guide this puppy home.

IMG_5661.JPG
IMG_5662.JPG

And a special thanks to @Moparparts ! Decided to try rubber mounts this time around (used to run solid driver side / rubber passenger side)

Thanks, Don, for the motor mount. Over the years, I'd say your parts are probably holding the whole car together.

IMG_5661.JPG

Im not that far away.
I could have helped you.

Just calculated my fuel efficiency... 5.9 mpg. Gonna get used to this scene.

IMG_5770.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back