• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Name that cam!

Do we win anything? Oh that's right, engine was already together. Drat, lost again!!!!

My memory is no good anymore but I do remember going thru a Chet Herbert re-grind,a Crane(awful) and then to a pretty big CompCam back when I raced with a 440 w/4000 stall converter in the late 70's.

Can't remember but sure sounds like one step up from factory cam. Sounds,looks fabulous!!!!!! Great, thanks to better-half also! Jeff
Thank you and amen, Jeff. She's been through hell with me. A lesser woman would have given up on my worn old carcass, that's for sure.

Looks and sounds great Ed :thumbsup:
Shows what a positive attitude can do.
Be Proud, Be Loud !
Thanks again KK. I've never been a quitter, but this ride through the last half dozen years sure has been a test for sure.
I figure if He hasn't given up on me, who am I to?
Even if I can't figure out why He kept me around, I guess I have to stick it out to see the end of the story. :)

Very nice car looks great and sounds great. Does sound like the 284/284 cam.

Thanky kindly. Stay tuned, I'm actually getting an answer from the builder....maybe. :)

God bless you in every way.
Oh wow, thank you. I'm not worthy, but I do return that sentiment. :)

Ed, good to hear from you, it's been a while. Glad to see your car running so well. I was also close to death in January after open heart surgery. While in recovery the craft came apart and I was rushed back in to be opened up again for the repair. Guess it wasn't my time yet!
Oh man! Very sorry to hear of all that, but very glad you're on the upside of it all!
Nope, not your time yet for sure. He's keeping us around for something, I reckon.
I figure in my case it's because I haven't figured out how to act right yet - but I'm working on it. :)
God bless.

I started this thread as sort of a fun thing to figure out if it was possible to just listen to a car running and guess the cam - and to do a happy dance sort of thing at the progress. :)
So...I took a wild shot at contacting the previous owner of the engine and asking if the builder could be contacted - and apparently, he could. :)
He didn't recall a whole lot about the build (it was a routine build, as he recalls - no fancy machine work or such) but the best he could recall, the answer is indeed the 284/484 cam. He said something about doing a little fancy "degreeing" on it, too, probably advanced it a couple degrees or something.
So we do in fact have some winners here!
All those who guessed 284/484 come forth to claim your prize - which is pretty much an air sandwich, sorry. :)

Hey Ed. Very happy for you. Now it's time to up that shift point and roast the tires! Seriously, I hope you and your bride enjoy that car for many more years. You did the work, now comes the fun...

Hey Ed. Very happy for you. Now it's time to up that shift point and roast the tires! Seriously, I hope you and your bride enjoy that car for many more years. You did the work, now comes the fun...
Hey Dave, great to hear from you!
Thanks much my friend - and I owe thanks to many folks on this forum for all their help over the course of working on this critter, not to mention folks who have actually had a physical hand in its' progress as well. :)

I feel very blessed to have been allowed to remain above dirt long enough to see it, I really do. It came close, real close, more than once.... but anyways, I digress.
To have folks who didn't even know me take time out of their lives to help is truly humbling to me and for some, even flabbergasting - I don't know that I've done anything to deserve it, really, but I sure am grateful. :)

Now, I gotta get a radio in it....and an antenna....and find why the left fender mount turn signal quit working.....and.....and....heck, they're never really done, are they? :lol:

By the way, I'll answer another question never asked about the video:
The radiator cap is a Mr Gasket one with built in thermometer.
The black smudge you see on it is one I put on there with a Sharpie at the 180F mark.
You'll notice the needle is slightly below that - after the car had been driven for quite a while and had climbed the hill back up to the garage. :)
I may have drilled one too many holes in the 180 thermostat....:lol:

Nah temp looks just right, you and the better-half enjoy. Let me know about fender t/s, have a little knowledge or do a search of forums.

By the way, I'll answer another question never asked about the video:
The radiator cap is a Mr Gasket one with built in thermometer.
The black smudge you see on it is one I put on there with a Sharpie at the 180F mark.
You'll notice the needle is slightly below that - after the car had been driven for quite a while and had climbed the hill back up to the garage. :)
I may have drilled one too many holes in the 180 thermostat....:lol:

It's that fan that you and I bought! Mine is the same way. It takes forever to get it to 180. It really moves some air.

I'm useing e-free, 91 octane. What are you useing?

I guess I'm the winner in the cam contest! That sand which sure is filling!!!!
Hahahaha!! Great fun just the same

That is a very pleasant exhaust note. The underhood part of the video playback on my monitor was a dark and I could not tell if the motor had factory exhaust manifolds or headers. I can usually tell by the sound, but I did not notice the tinny, ringing characteristic of headers. So how is it equipped, headers or no headers? Thanks.

Nah temp looks just right, you and the better-half enjoy. Let me know about fender t/s, have a little knowledge or do a search of forums.
Got it fixed this evening. :)
The tiny little bulb went bad. Hope that isn't a trend. Those suckers are hard to find.

It's that fan that you and I bought! Mine is the same way. It takes forever to get it to 180. It really moves some air.

I'm useing e-free, 91 octane. What are you useing?
Right now, Exxon 93 with grainage added (they do 10% here). There is a local gas station that claims ethanol-free, but let's just say the quality is "suspect". :)

I guess I'm the winner in the cam contest! That sand which sure is filling!!!!
Hahahaha!! Great fun just the same
Yessir, you were the first to guess correctly!
Want some imaginary mayo on that? :)
Thanks for joining in on the fun!

That is a very pleasant exhaust note. The underhood part of the video playback on my monitor was a dark and I could not tell if the motor had factory exhaust manifolds or headers. I can usually tell by the sound, but I did not notice the tinny, ringing characteristic of headers. So how is it equipped, headers or no headers? Thanks.
Thanks and I agree - she sounds pretty sweet, least to me. It's no whiplash cam, but I'm past all that these days. This cam is very liveable and easy to tune on.
Reckon I got lucky there.
Those are Hedman headers on there. They fit like crap and have had some "modifications" inflicted upon them to give proper clearance to things like the smaller starter and such, but the wall thickness is impressive and they seal right up, so there's that.
Of course, they better when you're using the high dollar gaskets. :)

All giddy still, I went out this evening and repaired the fender mount turn signal jobber and then went after the headlight adjustments - those were pointing pretty much down, making the car damn near impossible to drive at night.
Successful at both endeavors, I called it an evening. :)

Glad to hear it is now going. I am sorry for not following the form to completion but yes a great accomplishment the car and of yourself.
May God bless you with some time to enjoy it.

Auto Transport Service
Back