• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:55 PM
Reaction score
20161206_200631.png

https://pearlharbor75thanniversary.com/

It's the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is recognized on the 7th of December every year.

Does anyone have any relatives or friends that had relatives, that were there? I've met people in the past that had served in different parts of the world, and in different wars but I've never met anyone with connections to Pearl Harbor.

Thank you for your service to all that were there.

Had a neighbor who served at Pearl Harbor. He wasn't bitter, but he didn't talk about it much. I think time had softened the hatred.

Can't be too many still alive. Newspaper other day had article about an Akron Marine hitch hiking out of D.C. in 1954 and getting picked up by Eisenhower's entourage enroute to Camp David. They got let out at Hagerstown,Md.

Anybody left would have been young then and now would be in their mid nineties.

I read a year or so ago that there are less than 10 USS Arizona survivors.

Pearl Harbor was a surprise attack on a legitimate military target. Unlike the innocent civilians that get targeted by terrorists today.

We should always be thankful that our carriers were out on maneuver. They were the primary targets. If we had lost our carriers we wouldn't have stood much of a chance in winning that theatre of the war.

I remember once in the early 90s about to get cranky about someone slow driving, then I saw the license plate on his truck said "Pearl Harbor Survivor", and I thought, " Be my guest"....You can drive almost any way you want to, OK by me....

Some time after Pearl Harbor, it is said that a Japanese naval commander said something like "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant". That commander was speaking of the US and it's military. That would be a good lesson for the terrorists of today to consider keeping in mind that a new Commander in Chief and Secretary of Defense are on the way!

Some time after Pearl Harbor, it is said that a Japanese naval commander said something like "I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant". That commander was speaking of the US and it's military. That would be a good lesson for the terrorists of today to consider keeping in mind that a new Commander in Chief and Secretary of Defense are on the way!
Yamamoto feared the sleeping giant.

My Father in law Survived it . I never asked about it, and he never talked about it. He's gone now. God Bless all of them!!

This day is a very solemn one for my Ohana (family). I/we lost two great uncles on this day and although I never met them, my tutu's (grandmother's) tearful memories of them is wedged in my/our hearts & souls. As usual, my Ohana will be getting together tonight for dinner to remember them and repeat their stories handed down from our kapuna (elders) re: their lives.

On this day seventy-five years ago, my father was 13 and my mother was 10. Both have vivid memories of that day. My father was at a playground and was immediately hustled into one of the many bomb shelters in the area by one of the civilian block captains. He was issued a gas mask and told to move towards the back of the shelter. He said he was so scared because he knew it wasn't a drill this time and all he wanted to do was run home to be with his mother.

My mother was with my grandparents at an outdoor farmer's market. She witnessed the Japanese planes flying low overhead as they headed towards Pearl. They could see they were Japanese planes. My grandfather opened the doors to his old pickup truck to turn the radio on. She heard the announcer yelling, "We are at war! We are at war! This is not an exercise. Japanese planes are attacking Pearl Harbor." My mother's Ohana (like many other at the market) ran up the hill and watched as their beloved Pearl was getting hammered. She remembered all the little puffs of smoke in the sky (anti-aircraft fire) and said she was so confused because a beautiful peaceful morning had turned into one of people screaming and crying.

As for my two great uncles, our Ohana lost two brothers/two sons that day who never had a chance to have families of their own and live full lives. For their sacrifice, our Ohana will ALWAYS remember them and we send our most heartfelt aloha to them.

The Japanese at that time were very aware of their lack of natural resources.
Iron and steel, mostly as needed to make war.
A very large percentage of the autos the USA scrapped in the 20s and 30s went to Japan to build their military.
I have been to the Mitsubishi factory in Nagoya, it is huge, and I wonder why we didn't destroy it.

The Japanese at that time were very aware of their lack of natural resources.
Iron and steel, mostly as needed to make war.
A very large percentage of the autos the USA scrapped in the 20s and 30s went to Japan to build their military.
I have been to the Mitsubishi factory in Nagoya, it is huge, and I wonder why we didn't destroy it.
Don't worry, we destroyed every other thing on Japan. Also killed millions of soldiers and civilians. I would say we came out ahead

I salute all fallen and wounded servicemen and women! Not to mention all other who have served as well!

I had an Great Uncle "Tink" a Marine {Gunny} that was stationed over there,
Hickam Field IIRC, not far from Pearl Harbor
BUT he was on leave, here in Calif. for the holidays @ the time of the attacks...
A stroke of luck, he always said he regretted not being there,
I think he felt guilt of some sort, like he should have been there...
He didn't really talk about what he came back to much either...
My Aunt Anne has some cool old photos of some of the damage,
I really want those someday...

My grandfather was Coast Guard, but stationed here in Alameda
said we were all on high alert, even back here in the SF/Oakland /Alameda area...
So the story is told...

Anyway;
I watched most of the ceremony with my ol' Pops,
brings a tear to my eyes, I'm a ol' softie at times for that type stuff, very
moving & patriotic, even when they played the anthem & had the missing man fly over...
I love the tributes to the ship & sailors, all fallen service men/women...

A day that will live in infamy...

kryslerkid Thanks for sharing...

View attachment 377381

https://pearlharbor75thanniversary.com/

It's the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor. It is recognized on the 7th of December every year.

Does anyone have any relatives or friends that had relatives, that were there? I've met people in the past that had served in different parts of the world, and in different wars but I've never met anyone with connections to Pearl Harbor.

Thank you for your service to all that were there.

Last edited:
Don't worry, we destroyed every other thing on Japan. Also killed millions of soldiers and civilians. I would say we came out ahead

The Pearl Harbor day we are remembering is the beginning of a fight with Japan.
The war against Japan came and ended after. --Everyone that came out -with a head- is a winner.
The page in history about -Pearl Harbor- is what this day is all about. It was an ugly sad mess for thousands of men and women not engaged in war. They were just hoping like -all- that a fight would not be needed but were ready to die when a call came.

When the war ended is the day that we all "came out ahead".

Last edited:
One of my best experiences was shaking Sen.Innouye's hand in 2004 at Honolulu airport. YES, we went to Pearl Harbor while there, USS Arizona & Missouri.

Funny, I sensed a little Nip in the air today.

Reminds me of a story.
I was stationed at Pearl for the 50th anniversary. Me and 3 other Marines were bar hopping in Honolulu on a Saturday afternoon. A group of about 15 Japanese tourists approached us and the lead guy who spoke a little English said "Excuse me, where is USS Arizona?"

We were about 5 or 6 beers in and I couldn't resist. I looked at him and said "Right where you left it 50 years ago."

Fortunately he didn't speak English that well and it went a mile over his head. We then gave them directions on how to find the memorial.

We had a good chuckle about it though.

As I told my youngest son today, they attacked us and we nuked them. I would say we're even.

Never forget.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back