• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need ideas to touch up my dash lettering

The Rebel

Local time
12:44 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys. The letting on my dash (lights, flashers...etc...) has worn off & I want to touch it up. I'm assuming the best option is to use a paint pen with a chisel tip but wanted to see if anyone had a better idea.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

There's been a coupe of posts on this lately to some of the members great success. There is a pen from hobby lobby - I think silver chromoly they used to restore the trim on the dash. Is that the color you're referring to? There was another one just yesterday that I believe was for white - can't remember the details on that one.

Thanks! I saw that and HL does carry a white pen. Might just give that a go. As the letters are white & tiny wasn't sure how others might have done it.

There's been a coupe of posts on this lately to some of the members great success. There is a pen from hobby lobby - I think silver chromoly they used to restore the trim on the dash. Is that the color you're referring to? There was another one just yesterday that I believe was for white - can't remember the details on that one.

I think this is the thread your were referring too?

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...rome-refacing-pen-for-dash-and-bezels.135613/

Roger

I have not tried it but based on the results the OP got it is worth a shot....

I have used a new eraser on a pencil like an ink stamp with good results

Last edited:
I used white acrylic latex on a q tip. I twisted the cotton end into a point. And dabbed it in the paint. Probably could have done a better job with younger eyes. Lol. But the acrylic worked well, imo.

20170813_225100.jpg

when I had my '68 Charger, I used Testor's model paint, white, with a small model brush. looked good.

That's a great idea, as it's a hard surface and I'd be just touching the raised type! I'm a printer & didn't even think of that, LOL. Gonna give it a go.
I have used a new eraser on a pencil like an ink stamp with good results

I used an artists paint brush and cut the bristles down to about 1/8" or so. Then just dabbed the tip with white paint and touched the raised lettering. The repair of the worn letters looked so good I did all the rest of them and they look like the day it came off the assembly line.

P1010528.JPG
I've done several of them and used paint pens, fine paint brushes and the eraser bit. They all work and it really depends on your preference (which you'll discover the hard way).

I will say though the "casting" of the letters makes a big difference. Some are squared off and some are rounded (like a dome). Get too much paint on there at once and it'll roll down into the valley between the letters. Take you time and make a few passes allowing the paint to set up in between.
Good luck.

Took care of fixing this today as well. Used a pencil eraser which worked ok, with White Testors paint. I dabbed the eraser into the paint then blotted off the excess on a wooden block. Overall I'm 75% satisfied with it, it's definitely an improvement over what it looked like before. Had to used a fine pointed scraper to remove some of the excess paint that sometimes filled it some of the letters. I did a few of these 2x as I was not satisfied by removing the paint with a soft brass brush.

IMAG1456.jpg
IMAG1458.jpg
IMAG1457.jpg

Looks nice - you did a good job and have provided me encouragement to do my own. Makes a big difference on the dash.

Thanks! What I don't like about it over all is that the type can fill in and doesn't look as crisp as I'd like it to, especially around the edges. Once the 1st coat dries you have to do it again to make it pop a little more.

Looks nice - you did a good job and have provided me encouragement to do my own. Makes a big difference on the dash.

A good craft store will have a very, very fine tip marker in black which you can use to color in the spaces that inadvertently got white paint in them. This cleans it up a bit without having to strip the dash and start all over.

Surprised no one suggested prepainting the letters white, spraying over with black and then wiping with lacquer thinner. Works very well.

Totally agree with you if you I had it out of the car but as I was working on it in the car this was the least invasive method.

Surprised no one suggested prepainting the letters white, spraying over with black and then wiping with lacquer thinner. Works very well.

Auto Transport Service
Back