• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need wheel stud length help

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:39 PM
Reaction score
I was mocking up the rear wheels on my 70 GTX after brake install and noticed that there was not very much thread length for wheel inst. It appears that there is only 7/16" of threads sticking through the wheels for the nuts. I'm thinking that's not enough even if this is stock 440, auto, with 8 3/4. Here's what it looks like on the car.

20240131_131358.jpg
20240131_131619.jpg
20240131_131642.jpg

I looked up the wheel stud on RA and measured what was on the car and they matched. The factory stud measures 1.594 for under the head length, and I think 2.0 would be better. The problem is I can't find anything close to that length with the correct knurl size.. Somebody has to have long studs for an 8 3/4 especially if they race.

Wheel stud.jpg

I'm running these nuts so they have plenty of threads for longer studs. Even if they were real long I could just cut them off to an acceptable length.

lug nut.jpg

Anybody have any idea where I can get new longer studs?

You could check with Cass aka Dr Diff. He found me some longer studs several years ago. I know there are not a lot of options that have the correct knurled diameter for these old Mopars.

I've looked several places. Summitt and Jegs have the same as installed but no longer lengths. RA must have 50 different ones listed under their universal parts. Good thing about them is they list all the specs about all of them but no joy. I might have to check with axle makers/suppliers to see if they have anything longer used for racing. I'll check with DR. Diff to see.

I've had about zero luck finding a "slightly" longer stud with all the other dimensions the exact same as OEM....
These have worked nicely for myself and others:
Replacement lug studs for 8-3/4

I've had about zero luck finding a "slightly" longer stud with all the other dimensions the exact same as OEM....
These have worked nicely for myself and others:
Replacement lug studs for 8-3/4
I'm going to check them out tomorrow at the Summitt store. They look like they might work just fine. Thanks Beanhead

Well I got my new studs in thanks to Beanhead. Makes me feel safer with at least 1" of threads sticking through the wheel.

DSC01809.JPG
DSC01810.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back