• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New "garage" in the works

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
I've often said that it the ideal home would be to have all garage space on the ground level & living space above. Well, my dream may becoming reality as I'm about 99% certain that my wife & I are going to purchase this horsey garage and renovate it into our new home. Stay tuned.......

barn 1.jpg barn 2.jpg barn 3.jpg barn 4.jpg barn 5.jpg

Thats an hour from my lake house..
You want to do all the math, the good thing is in that area something like that done right could be worth around XXXXX, the bad thing is they want XXXX, so figure construction around $95 a sq foot depending on what has to be done to the structure to meet code. So if you build a 2200 sq foot home in there the reno can cost you $200K, that puts you a bit over what it would be worth. I would offer *** and have a bit of room...

BUT I love the idea, they do it in iowa a lot, they build a huge barn and then a house inside it, 14ft doors and they pull equipment right in and then go through another door into their house, pretty cool... Nice spot for passive solar and geo thermal hvac ;) ....

BUT do your homework, my office manager is VERY familiar with the local codes from that area if you need any advice, I would imagine you will need double 5/8" sheet rock in the garage if living space is going to be above it and you are going to store vehicles in there... And there may be other codes that you may not think of.

do the math and plan for the future, its a 2x lot, why not build a new place next to it and keep the horse barn all for garage...

good luck with it, let me know if I can give any advice...

Last edited:
I've often said that it the ideal home would be to have all garage space on the ground level & living space above. Well, my dream may becoming reality as I'm about 99% certain that my wife & I are going to purchase this horsey garage and renovate it into our new home. Stay tuned.......

Sonny approved!.....you lucky bastard!

Sounds like a dream come true home. Hope it all works out for you guys.

Very cool. We almost did that with a small shop in our area. I just couldn't get past the flat roof, though. Good luck.

Some sound advice I got from a very respected relative many years ago,
"when making a major purchase ( house, car, business) make sure it something that would appeal to another purchaser."
Many years ago a four bay double deep building with living quarters above came up for sale locally.
I called a friend who has many years in the real estate business. His comment " you want a man's house and resale is really going to appeal to less than 5% of potential buyers." Don't want rain on your parade, but it is still for sale.

Some sound advice I got from a very respected relative many years ago,
"when making a major purchase ( house, car, business) make sure it something that would appeal to another purchaser."
Many years ago a four bay double deep building with living quarters above came up for sale locally.
I called a friend who has many years in the real estate business. His comment " you want a man's house and resale is really going to appeal to less than 5% of potential buyers." Don't want rain on your parade, but it is still for sale.

What you say is very true, but part of the appeal is the type of building and the setting it is placed in. This barn & the house next door are existing to the neighborhood and in fact, other than these two properties, the neighborhood is a brand new development filled with 3,000 square foot homes.

This place has been for sale for a year and anyone who looks in this neighborhood wants a brand new home, not a renovation and not many people have the vision to see what this place can be once it's completed, plus, not many people want all that garage space. We know that the seller has a bit of a white elephant on his hands and as such, we were able to beat him up on the asking price.

The square living footage, while smaller than the surrounding homes by about 800-900 square feet, will be perfect for us as we will be empty nesters very soon. The added appeal is that everything will be on one level for when we get old and decrepit. When it comes time for resale years down the road I do realize that this property will present itself to limited clientele, but there are people (like all of us here) who would find this type of place appealing. But, when that time comes, hopefully, it won't be our problem.

I'm old enough, that secondary appeal won't be much of an issue. Just old enough, to do whatever the hell I want.

Very cool Dickie!! just gotta install one of them there fancy elevators to go between levels.

Guna have space for rent??? lol

Awesome!

Call the crew from "This Old House", they might help remodel.

Auto Transport Service
Back