• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New garage toy... big toy!

Love the really old stuff like that. The new ones we got at work to replace our old ones are junk. I'd take one of those any day Love the Le Blonds
Couldn't agree more. Part of the problem now is our good ol government. Cast iron castings are best left out to age to allow shifting to occur prior to the machining. Decades ago a company would cast a bunch of castings and leave them out for lengthy periods, now since a company gets taxed on inventory........ And the fact that everybody is dialing back on material, a good solid precision machine is a massive heavy machine simple as that.

Got bored last night and decided to try moving the lathe by myself.... No sweat.. o.k. maybe a little. Wooden rolls, spud bar and a floor jack is all that it took, I did try using the Can Am and ripped the bumper clean off:BangHead: . Bad thing is I don't know if I'm digging it where it's at? Not much room for a bench and it really cuts into the bay, I'll pull the Charger over and see but I think it's getting moved again.
20171021_004133.jpg
20171021_011959.jpg

Much better, this is where it will stay. Unfortunately I wasn't happy with it tucked under the cabinet, this meant it was crowded to the wall at the tail and if I ever had to work on the head I'd have to move the lathe or cabinet so might as well do it now. This meant ripping some of the ceiling apart and re-routing speaker wires... Not fun.

20171022_074539.jpg
20171022_074509.jpg

That is a good plan as all things need to be worked on at some time
So planning ahead make sense as most people don't think about repairs

Might be taking up more space here soon. I was talking to the machine dealer, he mentioned he had a 16" Do All vertical bandsaw that he was trading in exchange for a gear he needed for another machine but hasn't had any luck with the guy so I say me, me, me... I'll do it!!

I think I know how to make a gear but I do know somebody who has made a ton of them... My dad. Seams like a great opportunity to learn something from my dad, he was standing there when I mentioned it and looked excited to teach me so we'll see.

Next I'll talk to dad again about one of his many spare mills, think he's willing to part with a Cincinnati toolmaster so?? It's a nice piece and is a better built mill than the Bridgeports just has a goofy collet setup, I'll have to play with it and see how I like it.

Auto Transport Service
Back