• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Garage

Thx...
Saturday was a good day as I managed to set the back door and get all of the siding and soffit on the rear elevation.

Attachments
0826171651a.jpg

0826171651b.jpg

0826171651.jpg

0827171031.jpg

Sunday was a short day.
We built the scaffold on the east elevation and installed the balance of the exterior sheathing on the truss's.
I cleaned up for a while and moved material around for the garage door installation on Monday.

Attachments
0827171457.jpg

0806172005b.jpg

0828171000.jpg

0828171000a.jpg

They managed to get the 10' garage door installed today. The 16' door is scheduled for tomorrow...
The tracks allowed the door to be 4" below the trusses at the back side.
thumbs_up.gif

The Liftmaster 8500 garage door opener was also installed today.

Attachments
0828171001a.jpg

0828171301b.jpg

0828171301c.jpg

0828171857.jpg

It's a great feeling when holes start getting filled, looks great!

Man that's a sweet garage. Just curious, how's the site set up? I saw some pictures - looks like you're standing on a deck to the front/left of the garage?

Love the thought that went into it - my wife and I when we built our addition / garage under a master suite - the project kept evolving like yours, even after breaking ground.

My site is not "ideal" that's for sure...It's a really nice neighborhood but everything is built on the side of a pretty good hill.
Everything costs more to do...but it beat selling and moving somewhere I maybe wouldn't have liked as much.
We bought here in 2001 and I was renting a 28x48 shop with 16' ceilings and no insulation a 1/2 mile from where I lived before the move. After we moved it was about 12 miles. In the winter time I maybe didn't even go there for a month at a time as it was a coal furnace and took about 4 hrs to warm up nice...lighting was terrible...but I made it "do".
Moved everything into a friends shop in 2004 that he didn't use much and started building my 65 Belvedere and 70 Satellite there...Again it was about 15 miles away and cold.
Really wanted to sell here in 2006 but the wife wouldn't hear it.
In 2010 we built the wall and placed the single 14x26 shed up front...
It houses my 70 Satellite and gave me enough flat land to store my open and box trailers and enough room in case I find a car I want to part out. The driveway was installed with plans to build a garage behind it.
After being here for 12 years or so I have done a ton of upgrades and have way more sweat equity in this than I would want to do again elsewhere so the decision was made to build and have everything on one piece of property.
It has had it painstaking moments and I'm not there quite yet but I should have something very functional when finished.
I built the garage on a small piece of land that was basically unusable for anything else.
In the end I made what I have work with a heated garage big enough to do what I need that is 25 steps from my basement door...no driving and paying rent to anyone else...

0829170907.jpg 0829170907a.jpg 0829170908.jpg 0829170909.jpg

That @#$% :mad: stain on the roof of the house will be gone in the fall as we have decided to put metal roofing on the house as well...A couple pics from standing on the roof of the garage...I still have work to do everywhere...

0806172002a.jpg 0806172002b.jpg 0806172002d.jpg 0806172002e.jpg

Yeah I figured your lot must have been pretty crazy. I did site work for 10 years or so for the big home builders here in NJ, so I'm real familiar with having to do what ya have to do.

Looks great, yeah you really maximized your usage of a pretty unique lot. That garage is a real game changer.

They managed to get the 16' garage door installed today...
Just started raining here so i doubt I get to do anything tonight...
frowwn.gif

Attachments
0829171021.jpg

0829171055.jpg

0829171051.jpg

0829171530.jpg

Now I get the layout with the added pictures... And I thought I had a good hillside to work around, yours looks like West Virginia terrain!!

In essence it is...the tree line far behind in this photo is WVA. At the bottom of it is the Potomac River...Distance is a little better than a mile as the crow flies...

0829170909.jpg

I managed to get most of the aluminum trim bent up for the eaves so if the rain stays away tomorrow I'll work on that.
I have a friend who is also building a new garage and borrowed a LED light fixture from him to try in mine.
It's a high bay light with 20,000 Lumens.
Somewhat pricey but not as bad as some I have seen.
It is so bright that its almost a distraction...I feel like I'm working in something using the old halogen light stands that light everything up fine but if you look at them they're blinding...
Granted these pics aren't the greatest but it really seems to cast a lot of shadows creating dark areas..
See what you think...I may need to come up with a better plan...
work.gif

Attachments
0908171903.jpg

0908171903a.jpg

0908171905.jpg

0908171907.jpg

This is the fixture turned off with a couple 4' led tube lights I had for temporary lights on instead.
One pic from outside with the door open and then closed.
Its definitely bright but being a high bay fixture designed for taller ceilings it feels like a big spotlight.
I think I need to look at less Lumens and more fixtures to eliminate the shadowing...
shruggy.gif

After all those years of working a dark dingy 1/2 lit garage I can't believe I'm the guy bitching about having too much light...:realcrazy:

Attachments
0908172017.jpg

0908172014.jpg

0908172015.jpg

the shadows are just from not having enough quantity lights. sounds like those fixtures are just too damn bright. I can say this, when I built my addition on my home, I converted the main house to full LED lighting. Since then our energy bill went DOWN even after the addition was lit and heated.

Kinda what I was thinking too...more fixtures and less light from each to make it even out.:mad:
Although these are a little pricey they're probably cheaper than numerous other LED lights...Ah what the hell...It's only money...I've came this far no point skimping now...:realcrazy:

Kinda what I was thinking too...more fixtures and less light from each to make it even out.:mad:
Although these are a little pricey they're probably cheaper than numerous other LED lights...Ah what the hell...It's only money...I've came this far no point skimping now...:realcrazy:

Agreed, cheap LEDs just burn out way too fast, develops a hum after a few months plus some have an annoying flicker to them that's barely perceptible. That said, calculate the lumens you need for the space and hit the target. maybe over do it a hair, but way too much as annoying as way too little.

Hopefully once its done, someone doesn't go "ooh, now I have a place to store my 10 houses worth of decorations and knick knacks".

Hopefully once its done, someone doesn't go "ooh, now I have a place to store my 10 houses worth of decorations and knick knacks".

I hear ya. I won't even let my wife come in through the garage with the groceries because every time she did she'd leave sh!t on my workbench, on the floor... now she knows, if it's in my garage and not mine, it's in the garbage. Hate to be that way, but she's a train wreck with that stuff

I'm selling my last of 3 rental properties and for the past 10 years I've dodged bullet after bullet with my inlaws 'needing a place to stay'. Never happened but it was close more times than I care to think about.

I'm pretty lucky in that my wife is not a hoarder like her mom and sisters. She likes things cleared out and efficient, not "ooh, theres an empty spot I can stuff some crap into" like the others.

Auto Transport Service
Back