• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New here, '67 Coronet 440

Todd Smith

Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums but have read quite a few as I've searched topics related to my (wife's) 1967 Dodge Coronet 440. This 440 (model) has 318, auto (727), factory A/C and factory tow package.

Background: My wife's grandfather bought the car off the lot in December 1966. I know this because of the Certicard I found with his name still stamped on the tape. After he died it went to his wife, then son, and when he died my wife ended up with it. They lived in Florida and kept in a garage most of the time so it's in great shape rust/frame wise.

I thought we had us a true survivor since it has the original paint and no major work done. There was a lot of maintenance documentation. As I flipped through it I saw a note on the back of an invoice that stated a 318 had been installed. So I crawled under and to my dismay the engine cast date says 12*9*68 effectively killing my numbers matching designation.

I spent last summer redoing the brakes and rebuilding the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.) to make her road worthy.

Anyhow, now I mull decisions like refreshing the paint and even upgrading the power plant. I'll be checking these forums for tips and advice.

Cheers,
Todd

You must immediately disperse yourself of this money pit!!
It may be too late for you, but I'm willing to take this bad luck charm away from you.
Pm me and I'll hook up the trailer.......

rotfl4.gif

Welcome, and lets see some pics.
The natives will become restless
kinky.gif

Welcome from Texas and another 67 Net owner! Working on my pans now!

20171229_153451.jpg

I'm a sucker for a white Mopar with a blue interior.

Have you decoded the fender tag yet?

Having a trailer package, does it have a hitch and a limited slip axle?

Are you still in FL?

...and finally, some really good news about that "matching numbers" thing.

It doesn't really apply to anything older than mid-year 1968.

If you want to make it "all original", you can find an engine block that was date coded a few months prior to the cars build date, and for all intents and purposes, that's the correct block and no one can really argue.

I have a 67 Belvedere that has a factory warranty block.
Does yours have a shield like tag riveted to the drivers side front of the block?

I'm a sucker for a white Mopar with a blue interior.

Have you decoded the fender tag yet?

Having a trailer package, does it have a hitch and a limited slip axle?

Are you still in FL?

...and finally, some really good news about that "matching numbers" thing.

It doesn't really apply to anything older than mid-year 1968.

If you want to make it "all original", you can find an engine block that was date coded a few months prior to the cars build date, and for all intents and purposes, that's the correct block and no one can really argue.

I have a 67 Belvedere that has a factory warranty block.
Does yours have a shield like tag riveted to the drivers side front of the block?

Picture of tag below.

Not sure on axle.

Car now in Maryland tagged with "50 Year Historic" tag.

I know that I can technically get around the numbers matching thing, but by the time I hunt down an LA 318 stamped before December 1966, I might just grab a 440 out of some hopeless wreck and build a beast.

IMG_20171104_163409247.jpg

Guess what Grandpa hid under a vanity plate on the front - I believe it's the tag that was issued to the car new. I can't be sure but it is the right year and right county code

IMG_20170721_153902305.jpg

Decoder says...

Car line DODGE Coronet
Price class High
Body type 2 door hardtop
Production date November 04, 1966
Shipping order 12345
Engine 318 2bbl 8cyl 230hp [374/381]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
Tires 7.75x14 white 2-4 steel (x5) [434/443]
Axle Axle-2.94:1 (8.75) -OR- 2.93:1 (7.25) [402]
Trim Grade High [32H]
Seat type Bench vinyl split [334]
Trim color Blue [34B]
Paint 1 White [27W]
Paint 2 White [28W]
Paint scheme Mono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint Dark blue
26in radiator yoke (INSTALLED)
Radio Radio-AM Music Master/economy 2 W [421]
Heater Air conditioning w/ heater [411]
Glass Glass-tinted all windows [521]

Maybe tow package installed at dealer. Also I believe it had a black vinyl top possibly also dealer option

Welcome! I like the 67s also. Screw the numbers thing....it dont amount to much on those anyway. Mine is a 383 car but now has a 70 383 in it....no biggie.
Shop around for a deal on a motor if you want. If your switching to a big block gonna need mounts, tranny and different driveshaft. Not the worst. Nothing wrong with a nice running 318 either for cruising. You can pass a couple gas stations...

Auto Transport Service
Back