• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New motor is finally here!

So I just got off the phone with the builder and apparently he used the 4.5" eagle crank and not the 4.25" like I thought so I have a 535" here not a 505"

Sweet
No that's a sweet surprise, :thumbsup:
usually it goes the other way
less, not more

No that's a sweet surprise, :thumbsup:
usually it goes the other way
less, not more
You’re not kidding bud, and an admin slip up saved me money on the crank. They bought my crank and a 4.0 stroke Chevy crank on the same order and she put down the Chevy crank on my invoice! Paid 600, instead of 900

You’re not kidding bud, and an admin slip up saved me money on the crank. They bought my crank and a 4.0 stroke Chevy crank on the same order and she put down the Chevy crank on my invoice! Paid 600, instead of 900
That's a win, win :thumbsup:

We Machine EVERYTHING ourselves in house, and we then ASSEMBLE everything we machine in house, and then we DYNO everything we assemble.... NO exceptions !
From bushing Lifter Bores to Boring/Honing W/T Plate, Block Squaring/Milling, Line Boring(main caps) to Line Honing, Heads/Porting/Flowing/Balancing/Rods... we do it all in house, because we HAVE TO ... very simply.... to get what WE want ?

We Dyno for 2 reasons:
* we want to PROVE our work before it leaves, in the customers presence, to their satisfaction and make sure of NO issues.
* Get the Engine to optimum... and best SAFE efficiency for the Customer.

I am of the opinion that the "averages" on a power curve can be directly proportional to enhanced E.T. gains ?
I mean it is an Elapsed Time within which those Dyno sought after greater "averages" are then applied,
notwithstanding,
whether or not other factors related to IF the Car/Combo can then accept/apply those enhanced averages, garnered on the Dyno to lower times ? another story...
We've seen Comp Eliminator/quick 16 stuff where NO.... the Car simply could NOT transfer the enhanced averages to E.T., it went slower, but it was the Car/suspension being overpowered to lose 60ft = slower ET on the still higher mph.

You are right about the high cost, but it's more like $1,200/day base average for us(lucky to be there).

But similarly in this industry, if a guy can still call it that LOL ?
WHY is .050" or less still being held as the "optimum" quench distance by Engine builders, and Engine "assemblers" alike ?
I mean it is pretty much "accepted" as LAW these days ? is it not ? Has been for awhile ?

Amazing to me,(and admittedly here I must be getting too old),
is that in this day and age many people/builders/assemblers still "accept" that ONE dimension(.050" Quench), across ALL Bore Sizes from 4.00" to 4.600", across ALL Dome & Chamber characteristics, across ALL Ferd/Chub/Mopar Brands, across ALL Cam events from IR to staggered ramps, across ALL Intake/Exhaust scavenging...... as being the most conducive to best overall engine efficiency across ALL applications ?

In my opinion only,
the INDY/Zeeker 440-1 Head does not react the same as the 600-13, nor the Victor, nor the Predators..... to the same Dome setup, "quench" distance, nor in Total Timing. I will leave any discussions therein around context of "properly" built Engines requirements for each application for Dyno testing.

You like to dyno everything because you own a dyno. You also know how to operate your dyno. Some guys have dyno’s that probably shouldn’t, they also have machines that they probably shouldn’t either. I know the difference, I’ve worked in high end race shops. Now that I switched careers, I struggle just to get decent machine work. it’s usually subpar to what I held for my standards. While it would be nice to dyno some of the engines I build, I don’t find it nessessary. If I had a dyno in my backyard, then yea I’d also strap everything to it.

One reason I’m not worried about dynoing this set up is when I dropped off my block and list of parts I wanted, he called me back and said hey why don’t we go this route, I’ve built it before and I know it works. It was within the power range I was looking for so I told him go for it, he’s the professional, not me, he’s done it numerous times and knows what he’s talking about. Therefore I don’t feel it is an absolute need to put it on the dyno, if I had access to one like you do of course I would dyno every Motor, but I don’t. at this syage in my build, frankly dyno Time isn’t in my budget. That being said if anyone would like donate me some cash to throw it on a dyno, I will happily send you my PayPal info.

Thanks

Bo

I meant NO disrespect to anyone(not knowing what they are doing), nor their obvious experience having done it(the combo) many times before, obviously, I have NO reason to suspect otherwise ?

My only intent for clarity, was to make sure.... as others in this thread have also pointed out.... and given the FI contemplated ?
1.) the potential benefits to Dyno'ing this type of build when utilizing a "stock" Block at this power level, where they can indeed hurt themselves very quickly if things aren't just "ducky"
and,
2.) nobody that I know of anyways, will ? or should warranty anybody else's work ?
You bought it... you primed it.... you installed it ... you fired it.... it's YOUR motor ?
As long as no-one or anybody is going to go pointing fingers later, if heaven forbid "something" does go south.... GOOD TO GO !

I meant NO disrespect to anyone(not knowing what they are doing), nor their obvious experience having done it(the combo) many times before, obviously, I have NO reason to suspect otherwise ?

My only intent for clarity, was to make sure.... as others in this thread have also pointed out.... and given the FI contemplated ?
1.) the potential benefits to Dyno'ing this type of build when utilizing a "stock" Block at this power level, where they can indeed hurt themselves very quickly if things aren't just "ducky"
and,
2.) nobody that I know of anyways, will ? or should warranty anybody else's work ?
You bought it... you primed it.... you installed it ... you fired it.... it's YOUR motor ?
As long as no-one or anybody is going to go pointing fingers later, if heaven forbid "something" does go south.... GOOD TO GO !
No worries, just saying not everyone has the ease and access to a dyno that you do. I’m just an average joe trying to build a hot rod on his own, with a budget that’s running out FAST!

Auto Transport Service
Back