• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new paint problem, what do you think?

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:13 PM
Reaction score
so the paint on my 64 is probably 25 or so years old. i wanted to add a hemi hood scoop so i cut the hole and had the scoop and the hood painted satin black. i figured it would be way too hard to match the old paint not to mention it has swirl marks and everything. anyways i took off the hood chrome, had the holes filled, then brought it to the painter. apparently this guy is the best in my city and has contract with harley and everything. i get the hood back and there is this blotchy spot about 1.5' x 1" . it feels smooth but doesnt look great. i took it back to the shop and he says the paint had a reaction with the previous paint on the hood and there was nothing he could do. if he sanded and repainted it may turn out the same way and he would charge me to do the job again ($600 btw!). is this a legitimate thing that happens when covering old paint or is he full of ****? i doubt he would put his reputation on the line to avoid a simple respray but i also dont know anything about painting and body work. let me know your thoughts!

so the paint on my 64 is probably 25 or so years old. i wanted to add a hemi hood scoop so i cut the hole and had the scoop and the hood painted satin black. i figured it would be way too hard to match the old paint not to mention it has swirl marks and everything. anyways i took off the hood chrome, had the holes filled, then brought it to the painter. apparently this guy is the best in my city and has contract with harley and everything. i get the hood back and there is this blotchy spot about 1.5' x 1" . it feels smooth but doesnt look great. i took it back to the shop and he says the paint had a reaction with the previous paint on the hood and there was nothing he could do. if he sanded and repainted it may turn out the same way and he would charge me to do the job again ($600 btw!). is this a legitimate thing that happens when covering old paint or is he full of ****? i doubt he would put his reputation on the line to avoid a simple respray but i also dont know anything about painting and body work. let me know your thoughts!
He's full of it. Had it been done right the first time, he'd have used a sealer appropriate for the job. He's probably wishing that he'd sanded it better or striped the whole damn hood or that you'll go away, never to be heard from again. Make him take ownership for his screw up no matter how many times it takes him or get your money back.

Yep, Yatzee's right. Good paint jobs are 90% prep.
He's full of it. Had it been done right the first time, he'd have used a sealer appropriate for the job. He's probably wishing that he'd sanded it better or striped the whole damn hood or that you'll go away, never to be heard from again. Make him take ownership for his screw up no matter how many times it takes him or get your money back.

The use of "fast" or non-penetrating thinner/basemaker is suppose to minimize reactivity. A quality (PPG or Xalta) sealer would eliminate "eating" as well. $600 probably bought you Nason products, driver quality but not as forgiving over other paint surfaces........typically on newer waterbased vehicles.

I probably wont fight him on it because he will just argue with me forever. in reality i hang out with the largest car group in my city, all who go to him, so his work will speak for itself.

Make him redo it or he loses his reputation.

that's basically the situation right now. I just sent him a message saying he should have used a sealer. i'll see what he says

If he causes you greff give me a shout I know a guy that knows a guy that has a uncle that keeps a few cinder blocks in his truck with some rope !

Make him fix it he quoted it and you payed you want it done right if he doesn't want to fix it tell him that's fine refund the full amount .or else! He will get a hourse head in the bed with him !

If he causes you greff give me a shout I know a guy that knows a guy that has a uncle that keeps a few cinder blocks in his truck with some rope !

Make him fix it he quoted it and you payed you want it done right if he doesn't want to fix it tell him that's fine refund the full amount .or else! He will get a hourse head in the bed with him !

lol ill let you know

I'm sure there's a few old wise guys on here that would love to get there hands dirty again

Do you know if it was painted in lacquer previously?

he said it may have been enamel based and that may have caused it. he also said that a sealer wouldn't have worked any better because his paint was urethane based and so was the sealer. only way apparently was to strip the entire hood and I guess ill save that for when I get the car totally repainted. F*cking sucks but I will warn others and he wont get my business for the whole car. thank god its just one small spot.

If it's enamel there shouldn't be any reaction with urethane. If he did in fact seal it, chances are he didn't let the sealer flash long enough before he top coated it.

Post his name on every site you can. Start with Ontario Rodders. This is bullshit and the question I have to ask is why a "reputable shop" would even give it back to you that way. Surely he looked at it from every angle before it went out the door.

Post his name on every site you can. Start with Ontario Rodders. This is bullshit and the question I have to ask is why a "reputable shop" would even give it back to you that way. Surely he looked at it from every angle before it went out the door.

Ya that's what I don't get. I don't think Harley Davidson dealers would put up with that and those are his main clients. And I've seen other work that was super nice but in this day and age you only have to be an a**hole once.

I bet if it would have been a gloss finish, bccc, he wouldn't have let it go out the door.

You payed for a good job, not one with a imperfection.

You paid a professional to paint for you.He saw it,quoted it and now must deliver as promised or loose in small claims court. Then make it public that he phucked up your sheeeet!

Give him some free advertising. Place a (removable) label on each side of the hood scoop that says...Hood painted by (his company name).

Agree with all the others. I would post everywhere I could, make you a car show type sign and have his name on it at the local car show. Take a pic and send it to him...the only way you can get to crooks ,shysters, cons is by hitting them where it counts, in the wallet!
Hell I would go to some of the Harley dealerships and browse around and strike up some general conversation.... You can cost him a lot more than $600!!! You can't buy good publicity, but bad publicity isn't affordable...
if he is truly a professional he should have known what it took to prevent that from happening.and would do anything to correct it

Auto Transport Service
Back