• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New PB's today

Malex by going rag slick you are more likely to lose rpm as the tyre grows - if your old tyrs are rafial (315r60)
I am at 6600 @126 and change with 28"radial slick and 4.1 . I will go 29.5 (30") radial if needs be

Tex
Tex, thanks for the info. My slicks are on their way already so I hope they don't grow too much! We'll find out. More RPM at the end would have helped me. My line of thought was that a better 60', learning the car, finding the right shift points and ditching some weight would put me up a few hundred RPM.
Something I keep hearing is to slam a good single 4bbl combination on there with a dominator and pick up 25-30 hp. I also heard several times "what's with the Edelbrock carbs!
Those 440-25 intakes sure hold the heat I've found. Heard about that too.

Tex, thanks for the info. My slicks are on their way already so I hope they don't grow too much! We'll find out. More RPM at the end would have helped me. My line of thought was that a better 60', learning the car, finding the right shift points and ditching some weight would put me up a few hundred RPM.
Something I keep hearing is to slam a good single 4bbl combination on there with a dominator and pick up 25-30 hp. I also heard several times "what's with the Edelbrock carbs!
Those 440-25 intakes sure hold the heat I've found. Heard about that too.
I have a friend who has a similar engine build as yours including the Indie two four barrel intake with Carter carburetors. It is in a 1965 Coronet. 512 cubic inches roller cam and big heads. He runs 10.1 - 10.2 ETs. I don't think you need to ditch those carburetors before you explore other avenues to get a better ET.

I have a friend who has a similar engine build as yours including the Indie two four barrel intake with Carter carburetors. It is in a 1965 Coronet. 512 cubic inches roller cam and big heads. He runs 10.1 - 10.2 ETs. I don't think you need to ditch those carburetors before you explore other avenues to get a better ET.
Yes Mike. There's members here that run them and are crazy fast. (Superstock/DVW). They've heard the same thing.

I run a 29.5x10.5W on my 66 Coronet with a 499 and 4.56 gears. 8 inch 5500 converter.
unrestricted this year ive been 9.92 at 133.92mph at 7100 rpm.
restricted to run 10.50 I am generally at 126.90 to a little over 127 at 6700 rpm

And to the other post the edelbrocks will work just fine. I run a pair of them on a modman without any issues.

I run a 29.5x10.5W on my 66 Coronet with a 499 and 4.56 gears. 8 inch 5500 converter.
unrestricted this year ive been 9.92 at 133.92mph at 7100 rpm.
restricted to run 10.50 I am generally at 126.90 to a little over 127 at 6700 rpm

And to the other post the edelbrocks will work just fine. I run a pair of them on a modman without any issues.
Please share your motor specs with us. I love your 9.92 ET.

440 block 4.375 bore
eagle 4.15 crank
eagle rods
Wiseco pistons @ zero deck
12.75 roughly on compression
Indy SR heads - max wedge ports with some work to the runners and cut to up the compression. I don't remember how much I had them cut.
comp flat tappet 623/615 lift 280/284 @.050
Indy modman intake with modifications with a pair of edelbrock 600s sitting on top of 1 inch ez plate spacers.
TTI headers with Flowmaster outlaw race mufflers
PTC 8 inch 5000
4.56 gear dana
in a 66 Dodge coronet that weighed 3670 this weekend. Thats with 170lbs in it to run 10.50 in average air. I use restrictor plates and weight as a combo to back up to an index.

IMG_4525.JPG

440 block 4.375 bore
eagle 4.15 crank
eagle rods
Indy SR heads - max wedge ports with some work to the runners and cut to up the compression. I don't remember how much I had them cut.
Indy modman intake with modifications with a pair of edelbrock 600s sitting on top of 1 inch ez plate spacers.

PTC 8 inch 5000
4.56 gear dana
in a 66 Dodge coronet that weighed 3670 this weekend. Thats with 170lbs in it to run 10.50 in average air. I use restrictor plates and weight as a combo to back up to an index.

View attachment 440290
How many Cubic inches is it with the 4.375 bore and 4.15 stroke ??
I am too lazy to look it up.
PLUS...what was the Adjusted Altitude when you have the 9.92 ETs ?
ALSO...what brand of tires. what are the specs on the tires. Height ? Section Width ? Tread Width ? BIAS PLY I presume ?
I need to get new tires as I think my 28" (88" rollout) M/T ET Street Bias Ply Tires (11.25 Tread and 13.2 Section width) with my 4.30 gear are NOT helping me.
Your build and weight is VERY similar to mine except I have 12.2 CR and an INDY Dominator Single Plane and 1050 Dom NOT a Mod Man a 2 carters.
Please let me know....I want the 9.99 ET time slip this coming fall when the Addjusted Altitude is down in the 1000' range.

Last edited:
Ive seen it as 500 and ive seen it as 499.
2223 DA on that pass
it was 3885 this weekend. I ran two 1/4mile test n tune passes restricted friday and then 1/8 mile bracket raced saturday. They were 10.437 and 10.505. It should have gone 10.085 unrestricted. Not enough to run 10.00

MT 29.5x10.5x15 W

DDC Winners Circle.jpg

Can you post a timeslip from this past weekend? Or at least list the numbers from it. I thought you would have gone high teens or 20s with your combination.
Im not bashing what you ran. I'm just curious if you are leaving any et on the table that someone can help you find.
Do you have a wideband gauge to see the readings? Or did you look at the plugs to see what the dominator wanted?

440 block 4.375 bore
eagle 4.15 crank
eagle rods
PTC 8 inch 5000
4.56 gear dana

View attachment 440290
What modification to your Modman ? I have twin 600 eddies with the choke tower cut off .
I have 1 sitting on my bench , I fitted an insert to reduce plenum volume when running it on a 440ci motor . would like to try it on my 505 . Currently have a Victor and 4150 carb

Tex

440 block 4.375 bore
eagle 4.15 crank
eagle rods
PTC 8 inch 5000
4.56 gear dana

View attachment 440290
The modman intake looks to have lots less plenum volume than the 440-25 intake that I'm running on my 505.
IMG_4190.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

I talked to an engine builder who tested them back to back with the same pair of edelbrock carbs. He said the modman was down 12hp I believe to the 440-25. Thats all I needed to hear. I am not a fan of the 4 and 5 inch scoops on these body style cars. The modman and spacers for my ez plate system fit under my existing scoop. I am index racing so I didn't need max effort power from this combo. It has worked well for me.

I talked to an engine builder who tested them back to back with the same pair of edelbrock carbs. He said the modman was down 12hp I believe to the 440-25. Thats all I needed to hear. I am not a fan of the 4 and 5 inch scoops on these body style cars. The modman and spacers for my ez plate system fit under my existing scoop. I am index racing so I didn't need max effort power from this combo. It has worked well for me.[/QUOTE.

Interesting stats, thanks.

I may be a few hp off on that. It was less than 15hp difference. 12 is in my head.

It's a bunch of plenum for the short runners with no angle to them. That can be modified with a little imagination though. :thumbsup:

I may be a few hp off on that. It was less than 15hp difference. 12 is in my head.

It's a bunch of plenum for the short runners with no angle to them. That can be modified with a little imagination though. :thumbsup:

Your probably right with the 12 HP. From what I know about the 440-25 intakes is that they work better with bigger motors. I'm don't have the experience to know for sure but I do have a Super Victor intake now and a 1050 Dominator that I'm going to try, but not until I get my car figured out and more consistent so I have a good comparison. All I ever hear at the track is - you'll go faster with a dominator.. You'll pick up 25-30 HP with a good 4BBL set up, etc.
Even with the dominator, it's still going to need hood space. My scoop is 4.250" at the front and it catches a huge amount of air. I don't have hood pins and the latch will slip in the adjustment slots every pass. I have now bolted the latch solid in place to the hood structure and now after a pass the hood is not sitting flush like when you close it, it's up along the cowl and right side. I read that a fellow actually gained 3mph by going with (dare I say it) a cowl hood.. But it will be interesting to see the diff between the 440-25 and the Super Victor and Dominator on the 505 I'll be sure to share.

The modman with 2 600 edelbrocks was less than a tenth slower on my car than an Indy single plane and a 950hp. That was out of the box edelbrocks and as delivered from indy on the modman. I had the 950 jetted to my liking.

Running NSS I just dont have a need to swap back to a single plane and a single 4. I believe the gap has closed considerably with carb tuning of the edelbrocks using a wideband and the modification to the modman.

I believe Doug Wright (dvw) did some intake testing or had some numbers from an intake swap from the 440-25 to a single 4. It wasnt much if any different if I remember correctly.

I've backed to backed a pair of Holleys/ Eddys on the same intake. .03-.04, 1 mph difference. Never tried a Dominator/single plane. I have compared a few similar builds against mine with a Dominator. To be honest it dosent show much difference. Several of the F/X class N/SS wedge powered cars I run aginst are tunnel ram / Holley. For what it's worth
none are quicker.
Doug

I've backed to backed a pair of Holleys/ Eddys on the same intake. .03-.04, 1 mph difference. Never tried a Dominator/single plane. I have compared a few similar builds against mine with a Dominator. To be honest it dosent show much difference. Several of the F/X class N/SS wedge powered cars I run aginst are tunnel ram / Holley. For what it's worth
none are quicker.
Doug

I expect there to be very little difference either way, if at all, between the 440-25 with 750 Eddies compared to the Super Victor with a 1050 Dominator. This is on a 505. Probably the biggest difference will be the weight.

Regarding the Super Victor #2893 intake it's strange that the part number says 2891 on it. The box says 2893, it is max wedge ports, for a 4500 series carb and you can see where the ports have been milled.

IMG_4196.JPG
IMG_4195.JPG

IMG_4197.JPG

I needed clearance for my INDY Dominator Single Plane Intake with 2" spacer and 1050 Carb so bought a Pro Stock Style Scoop and bolted it on. It serves its purpose and I believe it catches less air (and therefore less "drag") than the really tall hemi style scoop that you have Malex (although I would still trade you cars in a heartbeat, lol).
FOOD FOR THOUGHT

20161018_145415.jpg 20160502_164252.jpg 20160518_183200.jpg

I expect there to be very little difference either way, if at all, between the 440-25 with 750 Eddies compared to the Super Victor with a 1050 Dominator. This is on a 505. Probably the biggest difference will be the weight.

Regarding the Super Victor #2893 intake it's strange that the part number says 2891 on it. The box says 2893, it is max wedge ports, for a 4500 series carb and you can see where the ports have been milled.

View attachment 441208 View attachment 441207
View attachment 441209
Was that intake purchased NEW from Edelbrock and came like that ?

Auto Transport Service
Back