• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new to the Hemi and B body scene looking for swap info

dubs chops

Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
Hey all, First of all I would like to say thanks for the great forum. I am getting ready to start ordering parts for a build. I have a shop doing all the labor that I know and trust, But all the details are up to me. Including ordering the drivetrain.

Car is a 68 charger 383 4bbl car but the original engine is long gone. I bought the car with a weak 318 in it. THe car is getting a full restore and upgrading the drivetrain at the same time. The car is currently british racing green and will go back either Black on Black or Gunmetal with a black vinyl top and RT stripe.

couple of questions for the people here who have already completed this swap.

1. I am wanting to put in at least a 6.1 maybe even a 6.4 if the budgete allows. Is there certain years of these HEMI motors that are better for swaps?
2. 727 with a gear vendors or the factory tranny that will come with a pull out motor, I am not even sure what transmission that is, do they have the NAG1 or the 545rfe.
I know there will be plenty of other questions. I promise I will post a build thread here as well to document the process.

Thanks.

BW

Welcome to the boards. The 6.1 and 6.4 are about the same price. 6.1 is hard to find. 6.4's can be bought in a crate. The easiest way to do a trans is a 727 or a 6 speed manual. I have a pretty extensive build thread as do some others like 5.7 Hemi, Darius, and a few others. If you have questions or need help feel free to ask. I an in north Texas and pop into Tulsa a lot for work and to tune gen3 stuff.

The 6.1 had a NAG1 for the auto or a 6 speed depending on the car. The 545rfe trans wont last too long if you put any power thru it, so a 727 with GV's would be my choice as getting the NAG1 tuned is costly, but not impossible. Also as a side note, with the 727, you wont have to cut and fab a the tunnel, tb cross member, and make a new trans mount. Saves a lot of time and money going with the 727.

Welcome to the boards. The 6.1 and 6.4 are about the same price. 6.1 is hard to find. 6.4's can be bought in a crate. The easiest way to do a trans is a 727 or a 6 speed manual. I have a pretty extensive build thread as do some others like 5.7 Hemi, Darius, and a few others. If you have questions or need help feel free to ask. I an in north Texas and pop into Tulsa a lot for work and to tune gen3 stuff.

Thanks to both of you guys for the answers. I have been cruising through build threads here and will be sure to check yours out.

do I need to stay away from any certain year motors? is the MDS tough to get rid of on the newer motors? do all of the 6.1 and 6.4 motors have mds?

Mds can be turned off. Vvt motors csn have the cams locked out. All can be done with a factory ecm and full features.

Nice, I am looking at a 6.4 crate motor on ebay that says it is a non mds motor. I am going to look at your build thread now.

Thanks again.

Yup. If you need a motor I have access to lots and lots of 6.4 crates

can you link me to your build thread?
Edit, NM found it, Sick build for sure man,

Last edited:
I don't have a thread to my project but it is similar to your plans. I am doing a 6.1 / 545RFE in my 68 Charger. It is mostly complete but not entirely yet. Still have a few issues to iron out. If you go with the 727, it will be a fairly easy swap. Any newer style transmissions will require modifying the tunnel. I needed to raise my tunnel 1 1/2" and widen it about the same. I had to cut the TB hoop out completely and weld in a plate as I am using the factory K frame. My engine is a 6.1 from an 06 Charger SRT8. It came with the NAG1 transmission but everyone said it was a nightmare install to I went with the 5 speed auto from a Hemi 2wd truck. I know there have been negative comments about the 545RFE not able to stand up to the 6.1 but I guess I will have to see for myself as I don't believe it. My brother has the same transmission in his Ram and pulls a 5000 lb trailer in the hills of Montana and has had no trouble as of yet. (over 90 K miles) I don't know what your plans are for your car but mine won't see any road course racing or Wheelie attempts with 14" slicks so I can't imagine my stock 6.1 will eat it up in short order. I expect my car to weigh in about 3800 lbs including my fat *** so still a good 1200 lbs less than the Ram. My car has a 3.23 sure grip 8 3/4" rear with 285/60 rear tires so I am after good mileage and drivability more than tire smoking grunt. If you are staying with the 727 transmission and K frame, at a minimum, you will need an oil pan and pick-up, TTI headers, engine mount adapters, engine management system, and an in-tank fuel pump.
You will also need to deal with the oil filter placement as the stock 6.1 / 6.4 oil filter is in the way.The factory dip stick goes in the pan and will need to be relocated to the other side. You will need a fuel pressure regulator and return line to the tank. I bought a kit from Bouchillon Performance for my install. It was spendy but I didn't want to deal with all the trial & error stuff that goes along with not knowing what I was doing. If I were you, I would give Randy at Bouchillon a call and let him know exactly what you plan and he can get you fixed up. They have the engine management system built to your needs, along with the steel fuel tank that bolts right in place of the factory tank. Here are a couple pics of my install.

100_6811.jpg100_6813.jpg100_6823.jpg100_6827.jpg100_6856.jpg100_7522.jpg100_7538.jpg

I'm putting a 6.1 and NAG1 in a Challenger, I just ordered all parts fron Bouchillion, Hotwire and Tanks Inc. I'm in Sweden so the surface shipping takes a few months, I think I'll have all parts in late Feb. hopefully. I was first gonna use my 727, but recently changed my mind and will use the NAG1. The main problems seems to be there is no fitting headers for NAG1 and stock T-bars, so I ordered TTI's for a 727 fit, and are hoping they will fit with modifications on the passenger side. All other things with the NAG1 seems to be faily easy to solve. I will update my thread as I go.
/Ken
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?100321-6-1-Hemi-in-70-Challenger

Hello, and welcome to the sight, any pics of this 68' would be appreciated, we love pics..

I will offer an alternative to the "new" hemi... Why not build a decent FI 440... The costs would be similar and it should be an easier swap with easier to source parts..

figure a set of source aluminum heads and source 500" stroker kit will cost you $3000 then a Fast FI for $1000, then $2500 for freeze plugs, cam bearings, roller cam, roller lifters, push rods, rockers, gaskets, dizzy drive, timing set, oil pump, distributor, aluminum intake, valve springs, valve covers, oil pan, timing cover, mancini rear main kit, balancer, and bolts... All of that is $6500...

Then add $500 for a block, $500 for assembly, and $500 for machine work, you are at $8000 for a fuel injected, aluminum headed 500" stroker motor!!! (and them prices are rounded up, I can get that done for under $7K)...

Another option would be just buying a 426 hemi... $15K for a 426 crate engine and then throw the fi injection system on it.. I know its more money, but it is going to add more than that in value to the car...

Well, just figured I would throw that out there, I notice a lot of guys dont consider it, and I learned a while back when working on chevs and buying smashed camaros and vettes for their drivelines I was throwing money away... It was coting me more than just buying a motor and slapping an fi system on it...

Either way you will have a really nice car when you are done I am sure, good luck with it and I look forward to watching the process...

I have a rearend question. The one in it looked like a Chrysler 8" I could be wrong though I am no rearend expert (On Cars anyways)

I am wanting rear discs, a trutrac in the rear, and rebuilt/painted. Would I be better off to buy a complete aftermarket rearend? If so what would be a good choice?

that is gonna be a badass car, good luck with the build, I'm going way into it, i got the ALTERKTION front and rear, and went with the 6 speed with 24 mph on the hi way. body work gets started in oct. if your interested here is my thread... http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/my-70-barn-find.36844/

View attachment 346303 View attachment 346304 View attachment 346305 View attachment 346306
I keep thinking I am screwing up by not going 6 speed. How is your console going to look once its all in?

I keep thinking I am screwing up by not going 6 speed. How is your console going to look once its all in?

im not putting in a console, I'm going for a race car look, kinda of all my demented ideas, here is a pic how it should turn out, i got the front an rear spoilers all custom made also. interior is not a 100% what we are going to do yet. here is a pic of the hump, he cut the top off an added about 3 inches of metal an welded back in to make look stock.

1970PlymouthGreen.jpg 20160415_103132.jpg 20160415_172819.jpg DSCN1406.JPG

im not putting in a console, I'm going for a race car look, kinda of all my demented ideas, here is a pic how it should turn out, i got the front an rear spoilers all custom made also. interior is not a 100% what we are going to do yet. here is a pic of the hump, he cut the top off an added about 3 inches of metal an welded back in to make look stock.

View attachment 346390 View attachment 346391 View attachment 346392 View attachment 346394
Thats sick! I wouldn't even paint it! I love it for who it is lol. A nasty abused delinquent chevy embarrassing MOPAR

Auto Transport Service
Back