• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie To The Mopar!!

67BELVSLEEPER

Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’m picking up my first Mopar next week. 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II 4 door. All original, very very solid 98,000 car. It has the 273 Commando, 3 speed auto. Looking for some info on the rear gear ratio, whether or not it’s posi etc. My plan is to make a nice street/strip sleeper. I have always wanted one of these...

I have a 1992 Mustang GT Foxbody street/strip car that I have built over the years. Stock forged short block with a Trickflow Stage 2 Top End Kit. It put down 302 rwhp/328 rwtq on the dyno. I learned a lot on the forums about the Fox platform.

I look forwaed to learning from you all. Pics to follow when I have her on the trailer.

Thanks, Corey

Welcome to the forum, If you have any pics of the rearend it can be identified or reference the chart below if you know what it looks like. As far as gears no way to tell until you get the car.

Ok thank you. I will post a bunch of pics when I get it home. My brother is a pro painter body man and the car was located near his work so he checked it over. He said the original paint can be compound and polished so it will have a nice original patina. All the chrome is mint. Plans are to detail the undercarriage, front and rear seat upholstery, dashpad, cal tracs, and drag radials on the stock steelies. It has duals exiting in front of the rear tires but I am going to run the traditional tailpipes with slight turndowns at the bumper. I will run the 273 for a while but will most likely build a 318 or 340. If I can get it as quick as my Foxbody I will be happy. It’s a pretty light car so it should be doable.

Like I said I wanted one of these old Mopars for a long time and the 4 door boxy lines just look tough to me.

A couple photos

46443A78-A6DE-4F73-8291-AA60DF335E41.jpeg 13B93A9F-5C5A-4D87-A40D-C29C10868AE0.jpeg

Welcome to the site, man!
The Belvedere will not likely have a Sure Grip differential. The Mopar limited slip axle is called a "Sure Grip" in the same way a Chevrolet calls their a Positraction ( Posi ) . I think the Chevy term sounds better but it isn't what the Mopar crowd usually calls it.
The 4 door cars are gaining popularity. It used to be totally uncool to be seen in a 4 door anywhere but Australia. Those guys embraced them long before anyone else. I think with the rarity of all these classics, everything is cool now.
The 273 probably came with a basic 2.76 axle ratio unless it was equipped with a towing package. The towing package usually had 3.23 or 3.55 gears, a heavy duty radiator, 7 blade fan and 10 inch brakes front and rear.
The axle is an 8 3/4" unit with the gears encased in a removeable 3rd member similar to a Ford 9 inch axle. Adding a Sure Grip diff is not difficult but would be simpler to just buy another 3rd member and swap it yourself.
Good luck with the car...Keep us posted with pictures and updates!
Greg

Welcome to the site, man!
The Belvedere will not likely have a Sure Grip differential. The Mopar limited slip axle is called a "Sure Grip" in the same way a Chevrolet calls their a Positraction ( Posi ) . I think the Chevy term sounds better but it isn't what the Mopar crowd usually calls it.
The 4 door cars are gaining popularity. It used to be totally uncool to be seen in a 4 door anywhere but Australia. Those guys embraced them long before anyone else. I think with the rarity of all these classics, everything is cool now.
The 273 probably came with a basic 2.76 axle ratio unless it was equipped with a towing package. The towing package usually had 3.23 or 3.55 gears, a heavy duty radiator, 7 blade fan and 10 inch brakes front and rear.
The axle is an 8 3/4" unit with the gears encased in a removeable 3rd member similar to a Ford 9 inch axle. Adding a Sure Grip diff is not difficult but would be simpler to just buy another 3rd member and swap it yourself.
Good luck with the car...Keep us posted with pictures and updates!
Greg
Thanks Greg!! A lot of good info there. I know the Foxes like the back of my hand, have done everything on them to include Trac Loc rebuild. I was hoping it would be a drop out center section. If I have to do a posi unit I will do axles as well. I built my other car from the suspension up before I put more power to it.

The four door will work well for me because I have three kids. I love the bench seats and want to get to the point I can suprise a Vette or something in a 4 door sleeper with steel wheels.

These cars can be made to handle quite well too. Hotchkis, Bilstein, Firm Feel, Borgeson...Lots of aftermarket suspension and shocks to choose from. PST is a suspension parts company that sponsors this site...Maybe check them out.

Welcome to FBBO -glad you included some pics of your Mopar. Keeps us from getting restless.... Looks like a sweet ride. Good luck with your work on her.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice find! Those steel wheels are very hard to find and I bet yours are in good shape....A dated set brings a pretty penny btw....

I had a 08 saleen s281 supercharged...Loved the car and I upgraded a lot of things.....Car was wicked fast so fast I got rid of it in fear of losing something, lol.....I couldnt stay off the pedal...

Very nice fox you have there btw

I've found that a 2.94 rear gear is very, very common in V8 66/67 cars equipped with a 8 3/4 axle. Much more so than a 2.76.

However, I've also found that a 66 small block car is MUCH more likely than a 67 to have an 8 3/4.

If you have a removable sheet metal cover, your axle is a 7 1/4.

If you have a removable front "chunk" that contains the pinion, yoke and gear set (like a ford 9") and no rear sheet metal cover, than it's an 8 3/4.

If your car is reasonably unmolested (and it looks like it might be), they may be a sheet metal tag under one of the bolts (for 7 1/4) or nuts (8 3/4) with the gear ratio stamped on it.

Welcome to the forum!

Nice find! Those steel wheels are very hard to find and I bet yours are in good shape....A dated set brings a pretty penny btw....

I had a 08 saleen s281 supercharged...Loved the car and I upgraded a lot of things.....Car was wicked fast so fast I got rid of it in fear of losing something, lol.....I couldnt stay off the pedal...

Very nice fox you have there btw
Thanks, The fox is a lot of fun it’s hard to drive around without people trying to mess with you though. It’s got a decent size cam in it so even minding my own business at the lights people want to see if their Nissan Sentra is faster. I love Saleens. I am looking forward to working on this thing. I have it all drawn out in my head.

Auto Transport Service
Back