• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice Patina or Faded Rust Bucket?

Just another borrowed word to describe a car that is showing its age and normal wear and tear. Now its used by some to romantize that very car and make someone feel good about buying it. Just typical BS

Patina....you look close it has a certain patina to it why paint it?

IMG_1487.PNG

Have had both(still do), I try to repair everything rusty and drive them, I can do the paint and the cost is only materials but I like to have something that can stay outside, not to worry about paint. I tend to drive the non over the top restored vehicle over the full resto cars. Of the last 5 full resto cars, I have sold 3 from just sitting.

Met a fella at a swap meet last weekend. He has and regularly drives a true 66 Hemi Coronet. Mechanically done. Refuses to paint it. It has a 70's or 80's paint job and one mismatched fender. It's not a rust bucket, just not so nice you gotta worry about it. Swears the day he paints it he'll be afraid to drive it and that is not what it's for. He says his kids can do whatever they want with it when he's gone. I agree with him.

Met a fella at a swap meet last weekend. He has and regularly drives a true 66 Hemi Coronet. Mechanically done. Refuses to paint it. It has a 70's or 80's paint job and one mismatched fender. It's not a rust bucket, just not so nice you gotta worry about it. Swears the day he paints it he'll be afraid to drive it and that is not what it's for. He says his kids can do whatever they want with it when he's gone. I agree with him.

That's my favorite way to see them

There are some really good points on here. My 67 R/T is a one time paint from the 90s but still has the original trunk and engine compartment paint. I think it gives the car character and wouldn't paint it again as I like trying to preserve it.

I get the enjoyment from driving and I think there is a good point to driving a car that you don't have to worry about. My uncle said that's why he sold his Super Bird and bought other Mopars, so he didn't have to worry about any little ding or scratch when driving them.

I think the main difference is we just call them beaters, cause you can drive the $h!+ out of them, beat up on them, and not have to worry it. I guess I just feel like when I see the word "patina" it's mostly in adds for someone trying to sell the car and are trying to justify a rediculously high price on a car that really just needs to be restored. I don't see many other people saying, "check out the nice patina on my car".

I picture some British guy at an auction saying, "and next up an exquisite example of an early American muscle car. What a lovely patina, and could you pass the Grey Pupon? "

Now, a hammered & polished copper body might be a hook for suede.

My view is this: The next time your wife wants to go clothes shopping, tell her "Honey, you look fine in your dumpy old clothes. It's called patina." Or the next time she wants her hair done or get some beauty treatment, say "No honey. Remember... it took you 30 years to look this awful, and you're only original once." After your punishment, think about what your car would say if you told it "Sure, you look like ****, but it's patina."

Most of us love our cars as much as our wives, so why would you let your car go out looking old and haggard if you wouldn't make your wife go out that way? :)

Of having both sides, I must say I get more enjoyment driving the "patina'd" car more. There's just something fun about it. You're not worried as much. You just drive it. I get 3 times the people flag me down, cone up to me, or offer to buy than my other one. Now my interior is new and all underneath (rubber stuff&hard lines) is new, mainly for safety and reliability. I never got the fad until I bought one.
Hey, I'm one of those guys who will flag down someone with a dingy car, but it's not because I think it's cool. I think it's because you aren't taking care of it and will likely part with it for a low price. When I see a faded paint job and rust, I see "I like the car, but don't have the bucks to make it look good and would love to sell it." That's not always the case, but more often than not it is.

I found and bought this car late last year. I'm the 4th owner. All original except for the front bumper. 57,000 miles. Interior is mint - it's incredible. While it has considerable sheet metal rust, the underside is clean as a whistle and solid. Not much touch-up to do without going all the way. I consider it an unmolested survivor which makes it way cool in my book. I never thought I'd own a car like this. I'm leaving it as it is at this point. Oh yeah, and it runs like a raped ape!
You can read more about it here: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/rare-find-rust-hid-original-1966-plymouth-satellite-hemi/

20160821_151056.jpg

20160821_151613.jpg

20161107_101817.jpg
20161107_111430.jpg
20160821_151513.jpg

I found and bought this car late last year. I'm the 4th owner. All original except for the front bumper. 57,000 miles. Interior is mint - it's incredible. While it has considerable sheet metal rust, the underside is clean as a whistle and solid. Not much touch-up to do without going all the way. I consider it an unmolested survivor which makes it way cool in my book. I never thought I'd own a car like this. I'm leaving it as it is at this point. Oh yeah, and it runs like a raped ape!
You can read more about it here: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/rare-find-rust-hid-original-1966-plymouth-satellite-hemi/

View attachment 397971

View attachment 397962

View attachment 397959 View attachment 397960 View attachment 397961
Nice!! Tough shapes to body work & block on.

Patinas are only good on old trucks and tractors.

Cars should look more kept

Hey, I'm one of those guys who will flag down someone with a dingy car, but it's not because I think it's cool. I think it's because you aren't taking care of it and will likely part with it for a low price. When I see a faded paint job and rust, I see "I like the car, but don't have the bucks to make it look good and would love to sell it." That's not always the case, but more often than not it is.

Interesting perspective and respected but I was told by several vendors of 4 different brands that the trend to get cars running has increased swap meet attendance and sales for lower grade parts that are not perfect. It also has had cars that would normally be parted or junked brought back as most would rather not do a full resto and are happy with a sound car even if the appearance is not status qou. When people would ask about paint, it is much more than the paint job itself, all brightwork looks terrible if not restored next to new paint so (if you have had chrome work done in the past three years you may learn to live with faded trim). Economics do not always play out when doing these cars but I enjoy the conversations around all cars not just one marque and some times the most unique stories are the ones where they sat in a field for 20 years. I said before I restored and built other marques and the original paint ones sold immediately for asking, the full resto's went over seas at full asking so the market is there for both.My restored cars are buried in the garage currently so I need to be a better steward to them (and keep the blower going apparently).

IMG_3173.JPG

Cool, but I'd have to fix it..... before that 426 emblem falls off.

View attachment 397971

View attachment 397962

View attachment 397959 View attachment 397960 View attachment 397961

Auto Transport Service
Back