• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nice Patina or Faded Rust Bucket?

So I've got an original paint and 3 kids& better half in the game talking about a repainted. 2 grandkids below 11 and a daughter-in-law all talking about re-paint with no 'real' skin in the game.12-15000 for a good paint and buddies saying "it's a survivor" let it alone. What do you do now? The re-paint will never recoup the cost, BUT the better half won't be seen in it w/o a paint job,lol.I'm torn either way!!

So I've got an original paint and 3 kids& better half in the game talking about a repainted. 2 grandkids below 11 and a daughter-in-law all talking about re-paint with no 'real' skin in the game.12-15000 for a good paint and buddies saying "it's a survivor" let it alone. What do you do now? The re-paint will never recoup the cost, BUT the better half won't be seen in it w/o a paint job,lol.I'm torn either way!!
Nice to see that You Get the Reality of what it takes to do a tight, close job of body & paint. No matter how much the money,, it is Time that cannot be compromised.

Mine was one if those heading to the scrap yard before I got it. I bought it as a no title, parts cars. I only wanted the 4 speed out if it. When I got it home, I thought it'd be cool to try and save it and bring some life back to it. For that reason I like it the way it is, just brought back from the verge of extinction. I'll admit if you don't have one, you won't get it. And that's ok too.

I think there is a difference between a "survivor" and the word "patina". Maybe that is just because I am of the younger generation and didn't grow up with the cars. I grew up with my dad and uncle's restoring them and going to classic car shows.

I appreciate a "survivor" and also think it's great some cars are kept running, like Frankenstein, when they should be dead. I also appreciate those who can't afford to completely restore a car, but work to preserve and keep them from further degrading. My budget is tight, tighter if it were up to the wife, and I can't afford a brand new paint job either, so I can understand. But if I were ever to sell my 67 R/T I would tell it like it is and not try to feel like I was suckering some one by saying, "it has a wonderful patina"...it has a 20 year old one time paint job that's holding up really nicely, it's not perfect, but waxes up nicely and the car can be driven and enjoyed.

I see the word "patina" in an ad and think, "that asking price just got jacked up by 10-30%". I think "survivor" can be used sometimes like that, but seems to be less frequently, and it doesn't seem to be trying to make the car something it's not. Although some people just throw it out there to try to get big bucks.

I find that most people using "patina" are trying to make the car out to be like it is as nice to have a "patina" on your car as it is to have a new paint job, and I would say that most everyone here, if given the choice, would rather have the restored car as opposed to the "patina" car for the same, or close to the same price...and most ads I have seen with "patina" in them sure have the price close to a restored car. Too much Barrett Jackson/Mecum I think. I think "patina" is a marketing term people are trying to use to add value to a car since they don't have much else good to say about it. Like trying to put lipstick on a pig.

I think a survivor car can have a patina to it, but you still don't hear people going around bragging about the sweet patina on their car, and at least I hope not. They just drive the crap out of them and enjoy them.

By the way 64Bel, I love your Hemi Satellite! My dad had a 66 Satelitte and they're one of my favorite Mopars, but I would never look at your car and think wow nice patina, at a glance I would first look at it and think, "when's he going to fix that?", and "I hope he doesn't let that thing rust away". Then I would learn about your car and think what a neat story and true survivor, and I can appreciate that. That being said, it would still look 10 x's better if the exterior were restored!

PS. I also hate the marketing term "rare". Don't get me started on that over used garbage term. "Rare...originally came equipped with a steering wheel!". Well no $h!t Sherlock! Once again, too much Barrett Jackson/Mecum.

I don't care for "patina" it's just another way of saying "i don't want to spend the money to make my car look nice." Or "i can't afford to do the car nice", or as has been said, it's a marketing ploy. I feel the same about "barn find". Just means it was left to rot in a barn, instead of just leaving it outside to rot."It's only original once". What the hell does that mean? It stopped being original the moment it left the assembly line. It was driven, engine run, trans shifted. It gets farther away from original whenever someone touches up the paint, rebuilds the engine, etc. I get it if it's a car that's been well cared for, and you can get in and drive. Looks good, runs good. To me, that's a survivor. None of my cars are perfect, but I do my best with the time and money i have. If i have a car that's rough, i accept it. I don't make up catchy names for a ugly car. When I fell in love with these cars, it was their style, beauty, and performance.

That's the "I got the body-work done, but I can't afford paint" look.
Body roughed out, can't afford the surface fine tuning, paint, cut & polish. I never related to the division between body work & prep work.....in my bible it is All straightening to the moment it's ready to be masked & shot. Even color sanding is final surface tuning if aproached with a blocking mentality & effort. Orange peel can hide slight lows & highs.
The term prep work I find offensive & only applies in the world of insurance work...imo.
I don't like the matte black hood & wheels look either.

Blade- c'mon.... Some of us aren't body guys; well not car body guys. Lol

By the way 64Bel, I love your Hemi Satellite! My dad had a 66 Satelitte and they're one of my favorite Mopars, but I would never look at your car and think wow nice patina, at a glance I would first look at it and think, "when's he going to fix that?", and "I hope he doesn't let that thing rust away". Then I would learn about your car and think what a neat story and true survivor, and I can appreciate that. That being said, it would still look 10 x's better if the exterior were restored!

When I first saw it, I thought it was just too much rust. But the more I looked at it and realized what it was, the more I realized how rare it is. You just don't see many all original 50 year old cars - and a Hemi 4-speed car, to boot. Not only that, but a complete, running original car. And it's such an odd car. There are rust holes in the doors, yet they close like it's a brand new car. Not one mark or crack in the dash, the instrument panel looks brand new. It must have been sheltered from the sun and/or stored inside a lot. Several very knowledgeable Mopar and other car guy friends of mine have checked it out, and they're all blown away by the originality of it.

Let's be honest, the majority of us Mopar guys have the dream of owning a Hemi car - at least I did. I realized that this was probably going to be my best chance to ever realize that dream. If the body were as nice as we all would like, there's no way I could have afforded it. Hey, I'm not crazy about the color white, either. But when I drive it, I don't even see the color or think about the rust. I'm just having too much fun driving it to even think about that stuff. I'm not ruling out a restoration some day, but for the foreseeable future I'm leaving it as is and just enjoying it.

The emblems on the fenders are solidly attached, by the way. I would never let them rust off.

Auto Transport Service
Back