• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Normal cam wear or wipeout?

I just check for lifter rotation when i am mocking up the motor. Install the cam and lube the lifters with wd 40 and see if they slide in their respective bores easily. They should drop with a thunk. I put a permanent marker mark on the top of the lifter and then rotate the cam. You will see the lifters rotate. If they dont, swap lifters around until they rotate. Make sure there are no burs on the lifters or lifter bores. Once you get them all to rotate, take them out, wipe them down, put some break in grease on the face of the lifter and just oil on the sides. Assemble the motor and break the cam in. No mess no fuss

X2 ^^. The time to check is during assembly. Pushrods don't cause the lifters to turn. The lobe and lifter faces are ground to force the lifter to rotate at the top of the lobe. It's this rotation that keeps the lobe and lifter from grinding each other away. The pattern should be wide at max lift, narrowing as you move down each flank. It looks ok to me but the best thing to do is check for rotation. This can be done in the car if there is a question but by then if one doesn't it's probably too late. Pull a valve cover and flash a light down into the valley area while the engine is turned. They rotate quickly once everything's broken in and the starter itself will set them whirling pretty good.

Am I correct that the only rocker arm shaft/rocker arm lubrication comes from the number 4 cam journal? Oil flows from the rear of the shaft to the front of the shaft to oil the rocker arms?

It does and goes to the pass. side rockers.

Yes, sir.
One oil port at #4, each side, with oil ports inside the #4 cam bearing journal, that feeds them. (Tappets have their own oiling port, each side.)
If the rocker shafts are mounted right, even hand pre-oiling, will give oil feed through the rocker shafts, to the rocker arms, that will put oil into the open (top) area of stamped rocker arms.

Cam lobes...two ways (the way I see it)...1) Off the main journals, pressured oil out the 'sides' of the cam main journals. Open design bearings. 2) Oil from the rocker system, runs down to the lifter valley, and overflows onto the cam, then into the oil pan.

Hope that helps!

Yes, sir.
One oil port at #4, each side, with oil ports inside the #4 cam bearing journal, that feeds them. (Tappets have their own oiling port, each side.)
If the rocker shafts are mounted right, even hand pre-oiling, will give oil feed through the rocker shafts, to the rocker arms, that will put oil into the open (top) area of stamped rocker arms.

Cam lobes...two ways (the way I see it)...1) Off the main journals, pressured oil out the 'sides' of the cam main journals. Open design bearings. 2) Oil from the rocker system, runs down to the lifter valley, and overflows onto the cam, then into the oil pan.

Hope that helps!

It does and thank you and 5.7 Hemi for responding.

Auto Transport Service
Back