• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Numbers on front off valve covers

Most likely it's the last few numbers of the engine part number so the line workers would know if it was for an auto or manual transmission.

Inspector marks for what ever reason?

No, like Photon440 said, they are the last three digits of the factory part number for that particular engine assembly. Although I thought they were only on ONE valve cover, not both. Frank Badalson wrote an article about this a while back in MCG, don't remember what issue it was.

After looking again, it looks like they were BOTH marked '916 but the "9" isn't visible any more on the right side cover.

OK, sorry for the continued edits. I found the article and it looks like the "916" on the passenger side cover is the engine assembly number. The number on the driver side cover MAY be a number relating to whether it is for an "Auto" or "Man" transmission. So, two different numbers may be correct, and once again Photon440 nailed it with his response.

DSCF3189.jpgThanks for the input the motor is a 440 hp n and automatic n its numbers match the carDSCF3192.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSCF3190.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

DSCF3192.jpgONCE I GET THE GEORGIA RED CLAY WASHED OFF THE TRANS N CHECK FOR NUMBERS

- - - Updated - - -

DSCF3191.jpgDSCF3192.jpg

DSCF3153.jpgi have a thread started on members restros n here is a pic off some hill billy grafhics n no its not a dukes car n never will be

Auto Transport Service
Back