• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

O2 sensor placement?

1967coronet440

Local time
7:17 AM
Reaction score
Where is everyone installing their o2 sensors? On the collector, after the collector? Anyone have pictures, thanks.

I put mine in the reducer just a head of the trans cross member and behind the header collecter. This is the passenger side. Putting it behind the cross member was further back then desirable by FiTech.

20170929_105710.jpg

I put mine in the reducer just a head of the trans cross member and behind the header collecter. This is the passenger side. Putting it behind the cross member was further back then desirable by FiTech.

View attachment 520402
That’s what I’m Using, fitech 1200. Where do they recommend installing. My fitech is sitting at my builders shop still I have to go pick it up

what are your opinions on EFI?
And what was the total cost of your EFI system?

I had the Fitech system because the Holley was not available yet. After a year of very frustrating phone calls and try this and try that, I gave up and went to the Holley Sniper. IMO its a whole lot better. I've had zero issues with this system so far.

The Fitech worked fine for fuel only, but I paid for timing control and it flat out did not work. I'm not some dummy back yard mechanic and I was schooling Fitech on how the system should be working... scary.

Total cost was around 2,200 for a complete fuel system(tank, in tank pump,lines, fittings), the EFI itself, and all the misc parts/fittings. I later added the Dual Sync dist which people on this board hate on, but it's the only dist I could get timing control to 100% work with. Love it! Car fires up every time and has never left me stranded.

are there good options for electronic fuel pumps so that I don't have to buy a whole new gas tank?

Yes, I'm using the Aeromotive A1000 with mi FiTech 1200 and it works perfect.

I had the Fitech system because the Holley was not available yet. After a year of very frustrating phone calls and try this and try that, I gave up and went to the Holley Sniper. IMO its a whole lot better. I've had zero issues with this system so far.

The Fitech worked fine for fuel only, but I paid for timing control and it flat out did not work. I'm not some dummy back yard mechanic and I was schooling Fitech on how the system should be working... scary.

Total cost was around 2,200 for a complete fuel system(tank, in tank pump,lines, fittings), the EFI itself, and all the misc parts/fittings. I later added the Dual Sync dist which people on this board hate on, but it's the only dist I could get timing control to 100% work with. Love it! Car fires up every time and has never left me stranded.
Wouldn`t a locked out msd dist. work w/ it ? It will w/ my fast 2.0, wish I`d done it instead of the fast dist., I had a hell of a time getting head clearance w/ the short "chevy" type dist.

You have to run a separate regulator, the FiTech unit can't handle the pressure from the A1000.

The FiTech is unit worked near perfect right out of the box. I ran near identical times with the FiTech unit vs my Quickfuel 1050, with no tuning. In the last few days I switched over and now have the FiTech controlling timing which needs to be dialed in and needs some work. Let me know if you have any questions about the install. FiTech recommended the A1000 its quiet and works well.

Fitech recommends O2 sensor to be mounted at least 10* up from horizontal, just to stop condensation from settling in the unit and causing premature failure. They said it will work fine... just die prematurely. Plenty of room on drivers or passenger side exhaust so long as it's pointing away from the trans.

I decided to put my o2 in the header collector, maybe an inch from the collector flange, mostly because 1) I plan to replace my exhaust soon and 2) if I ever run open headers... they said it will work fine in the collector.

I'll let ya know, I'll be installing my fitech unit in a couple hours.

Fitech recommends O2 sensor to be mounted at least 10* up from horizontal, just to stop condensation from settling in the unit and causing premature failure. They said it will work fine... just die prematurely. Plenty of room on drivers or passenger side exhaust so long as it's pointing away from the trans.

I decided to put my o2 in the header collector, maybe an inch from the collector flange, mostly because 1) I plan to replace my exhaust soon and 2) if I ever run open headers... they said it will work fine in the collector.

I'll let ya know, I'll be installing my fitech unit in a couple hours.
Was thinking about installing in the collector also, let me know what you do

I have mine back from the collector probably about 8-10" just before the x pipe. I take it in and out and only use it when I'm tuning a carb. Very useful tool if you know how or, are learning to manipulate the carb.

IMG_1038.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back