• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Type for 426 Hemi

Gilach

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
i did a search, but did not really find anything definitive on this subject. I have a stock 426 Hemi with less than 2000 miles on a rebuild and wondering what flavor oil i should use. Thanks in advance.

Also, i forgot to ask, any suggestions where i might purchase an air filter for the chrome dome at a reasonable price :) i've seen them for about $100, but i'm wondering it there's another filter that might fit, ie filter for another car. hope that makes sense.

Joe Gibbs Driven HR1 15W50 oil.

Valvoline VR1 40w racing oil is what I run in my 1968 426 Hemi.
It contains the zinc needed to save the cam. I buy it at my local performance
shop

Valvoline VR1 40w racing oil is what I run in my 1968 426 Hemi.
It contains the zinc needed to save the cam. I buy it at my local performance
shop
Vr1 is good oil as well...Thats my second choice....

Also, i forgot to ask, any suggestions where i might purchase an air filter for the chrome dome at a reasonable price :) i've seen them for about $100, but i'm wondering it there's another filter that might fit, ie filter for another car. hope that makes sense.
Bite the bullet and buy a K&N. You'll have it for life.
As for oil I use Royal Purple.

I'm running Valvoline ZR1 20w50

Race oil is non-detergent, at least it was for the 20W-40 Penzoil I used back in the '70s. Less foaming = better lubrication, but for a street machine might want to use a detergent oil.

Auto Transport Service
Back