• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One good reason

I knew a bank teller that took things into their own hands and got fired. They caught the robber because of their actions but the bank had their policies not to get involved.

Every business like these should have an armed guard with permission, shoot to kill.

I admire him for tackling the dirtbag, and I feel bad that he lost his job.

But the fact remains that he worked for a corporation. He should have learned by now that corporations do not care about employees - not one bit.

I personally wish I would have learned this lesson when I first saw the movie 'Alien' when I was much younger.

Word gets out, and he'll get another job for his actions.

The reason for corporate request for inaction is two fold:liability of death and insurance write off.

Yep, it's an insurance thing. The companies involved don't really have much of a choice or they don't
have insurance pretty much.
I remember a somewhat famous Home Depot deal in recent past that went somewhat along those same
lines - employee stopped a thief and got fired for their efforts.

I smell a lawsuit coming from the robber - unnecessary roughness causing bodily harm and emotional distress and probably ten other things including a hangnail. THAT is why they don't want their employees involved. But a "warning" to the employee would have been sufficient. Firing is too extreme and he likely has the grounds for a suit - which would likely be settled out of court fairly quickly.

My friend (and Marine combat vet) was shot after confronting a shoplifter at the auto parts store he was working at. Now I don't think people should feel like they can just walk in and steal whatever they want, but as an employee it damn sure isn't worth your life or your health to try to confront someone over some petty theft. My bud knows that I stand behind what he did, because that's just the kind of guy he is and I think many of us would react the same way he did...but in retrospect it's better to get whatever identifying information you can and let the cops deal with it. And, to keep with the intent of this thread, he was not fired and made a full recovery :) In fact, they caught the guy that did it..and my friend was cuffed and removed from the courtroom when he went to testify because he threatened(multiple times)the defendant right there in the court haahaha

and my friend was cuffed and removed from the courtroom when he went to testify because he threatened(multiple times)the defendant right there in the court

But you know they "had" to do that, right ?!?

Isnt everyone sick of this crap now . I mean these lowlifes come to steal without any regard to others safety , concern or the fact it's not their property.
I understand the point of not jeopardizing yourselves and our co workers unfortunately the law doesn't hold people to extent of what crimes they commit always and our police departments are crippled with bureaucracy .
Someone tried to steal my Tahoe one night as I heard the alarm go off and ran out of the house with a bat - he took off .My wife asked what are you really going to do I said beat him her reply was you'd be the one going to jail most likely .

While I commend the employees actions based on a sense of duty, I would'nt jeopardize myself for ANY corporation which as correctly stated, don't give a rat's *** about you.

Auto Transport Service
Back