• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a custom dash

Thanks for mentioning the Watsons Street Works, I had never heard of them. I see they have a bunch of cool stuff and I ordered a catalog.
I know those guys at Watson's... very cool stuff and they will definitely take care of you. Ask for Paul and tell him Michael (from Street Muscle Magazine) sent you... he's the man! I'll be doing some installs coming up with their products.

I hear ya, after seeing the price of the different switches, gauge restorations and seats it made the decision easy. I updated everything to more readily available parts and all Autometer gauges in mine.
Screenshot_20171004-141916.png

Custom Dash is your choice,but if you do, there are many ways of making it look great and add your ideas.First ,why do you want the stock dash changed?My reason was cost of new stock dash,and needed upgrading because it was pitting,cracking,and worn plastic,and not pleased with stock instruments on 63 Fury,and a pain replacing anything behind dash.I removed dash and mounted it on stand and replaced all plastic ,with custom made alluminium panels with new autometer gages ,new wiring,fuse boxes,at the same time,painted all stock steel dash and panels,,when finished it looked stock but with all modern instruments and allumium panels, and could remove instrument cluster in 5 minutes to get at anything behind dash.If you have the talent and sure you want to ,,,,do it without cutting any of the stock steel dash and panels,so you can go back to stock,if needed.It's yours and you can play with it as much as you want!

"It's yours and you can play with it as much as you want!"........Still talking about a dash, right?......lol.:rofl::rolleyes:

Geez, I have been collecting NOS dash parts for my 64 Polara convertible, but some of these conversions are beautiful. Definitely have to look at this option; or a combination of stock and custom..Nice work.

Holy well you know...that's the prettiest modified dash set up I've come across! Digital huh? I'll need to get some lessons on how I might do something like this in my '63 after I figure out resto on the bezel. That is just seeeweet!

Dash is finished. Searched everywhere for just the right color for the interior and without spending over a hundred bucks on a custom mixed 2K urethane (paint, reducer, hardener) I decided on something unconventional. The perfect color (for me) turns out to be Chrysler Red engine paint.

Picked up a couple cans of Duplicolor engine enamel and went to town. After giving it the weekend to harden I color sanded with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 and then polished with compound and a buffer. Results sure don't look like rattle can and I'm very pleased. Next job is wiring the instruments and lighting. Also need to pick up a new headlight knob.

IMG_5853a.jpg

IMG_5860a.jpg

IMG_5861a.jpg

IMG_5856a.jpg

IMG_5858a.jpg

IMG_5857a.jpg

Dash is finished. Searched everywhere for just the right color for the interior and without spending over a hundred bucks on a custom mixed 2K urethane (paint, reducer, hardener) I decided on something unconventional. The perfect color (for me) turns out to be Chrysler Red engine paint.

Picked up a couple cans of Duplicolor engine enamel and went to town. After giving it the weekend to harden I color sanded with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 and then polished with compound and a buffer. Results sure don't look like rattle can and I'm very pleased. Next job is wiring the instruments and lighting. Also need to pick up a new headlight knob.

View attachment 522607

View attachment 522608

View attachment 522609

View attachment 522610

View attachment 522611

View attachment 522612
Wow!! Holy smokes man, that is incredible! Very nice job. I like it! Congrats....:thumbsup::D

That's what I'am talking about,,,,when you do it right,,,,,,WHO SAID IT HAS TO BE STOCK,,great job centerline.Also,,,that is the best paint job I've scene,,FROM A CAN.

View attachment 522607

View attachment 522608

View attachment 522609

View attachment 522610

View attachment 522611

View attachment 522612
Nice job on that. You did what I'm thinking about on my 65 for the outlets. Your dash looks pretty outstanding too Mike. Those DD units are neat.

I have my dash in another thread but what the hell, great minds tend to think alike!
Mike
IMG_1394.JPG

Just looking for opinions.

I know most Mopar people are "original" oriented. Nothing wrong with this at all, however sometimes being a little different can be a good thing. Not talking about doing the Chevy black under the hood or anything like that, but something a little creative like a race inspired dash.

Rebuilding a stock dash, instruments, plastic and chrome can be a bit "expensive". After pricing this stuff on my '64 Polara it was going to run me a little over a grand. So I started looking at options. A race inspired dash, basically flat with a good set of aftermarket instruments, a radio and integrated AC vents sounds pretty good and definitely fits into my budget since that's all something I can do myself.

So my question is: What does everyone think of going with something different than a "stock" dash in one of these cars?
Put an aftermarket instrument cluster in my 72 wired it all for LED and GPS speedo. I'm happy and get kudos at the car shows plus it cost me 1/2 as much as a refurbish OEM. -Just don't throw your OEM stuff away

Can you toss out just an overview of what's involved to go LED/GPS? I have a '63 Plymouth wondering if I could think of doing something like this...

FYI... the pros of GPS is that you never have to reprogram your speedometer. The con is bad reception area (lots of trees, tunnels, mountain passes). That's one reason I like Dakota Digital (and they have a GPS module) is that you can program your speedometer through a marked mile through the setup window, or you can make adjustments while you're driving to get an accurate reading. Both require (initially) key off, enter setup mode, but if you change rear tires or gearing, it's easy to correct your speedometer.

Centerline ... Now that I've seen your dash I know what needs to be done with mine. Incredible ... Fantastic work. I really like the AC vents on both ends.

How are you doing your defrosters?

I've used Duplicolor quite a bit, on lots of things. It's probably the best rattle can paint out there. I even overlapped single stage paint on it and there wasn't a reaction! I've never tried to wet sand and buff it though, not having any hardener in it. Now I know it can be done.

Nice job :thumbsup:

I've used Duplicolor quite a bit, on lots of things. It's probably the best rattle can paint out there. I even overlapped single stage paint on it and there wasn't a reaction! I've never tried to wet sand and buff it though, not having any hardener in it. Now I know it can be done.

Nice job :thumbsup:

I would be very careful buffing most Duplicolor rattle can paint. Their engine paint on the other hand has ceramic in it which can stand higher heat so there's less chance of burning the paint when buffing.

Last edited:
Centerline ... Now that I've seen your dash I know what needs to be done with mine. Incredible ... Fantastic work. I really like the AC vents on both ends.

How are you doing your defrosters?

I plan on using the stock defroster vents and they'll be connected (via 2" hose) to the Vintage Air unit. I haven't fitted everything together yet and the stock vents are pretty large, so if they don't fit well or the Vintage Air unit is in the way I have smaller vents that came with the Vintage Air system that I can use.

Auto Transport Service
Back