• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a custom dash

Can you toss out just an overview of what's involved to go LED/GPS? I have a '63 Plymouth wondering if I could think of doing something like this...
Hi again Ron,,I am going through all the pictures to find some of my custom dash pics for the 63 Fury,,,my brother-in-law said he has them on DVD and also put them on file in his computer,,,so will be seeing him this weekend because it is Canada Thanks Giving and family get together.Will send the pictures to you,if I get them.Also the offer of a visit to Salome Az still stands,always a beer in the cooler in the shop.CHEERS

Great hearing from ya Jim. Yes would like to see those photos! And would like to take you up on that beer! Might be getting to AZ after new year!

Great hearing from ya Jim. Yes would like to see those photos! And would like to take you up on that beer! Might be getting to AZ after new year!
old dash Fury 010.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
Top pic is my stock 63 fury and the bottom Picture is my custom 63 Fury dash,,made from aluminium and all autometer sport-comp gauges,note,,tried to make it look as stock as possible

Last edited:
If you're looking for the other gauges,,,the're outside because they have WET lines attached
IMG_0042.JPG

Last edited:
Your gauges look fantastic! Nice job. I put a '62 dash in my '63 for the looks but the panel is needing another redo after some 10+ years after re-chrome. Was thinking of a repro panel like you did but not sure where I could have something like this done. here's a pic from a couple years ago and can see the skanky bleeding off chrome on the left side of the panel. I had put in a tach where the clock was. A re-chrome again just doesn't seem like the best do over for this aside from installing new gauges.

DSCN0703.JPG

FYI... the pros of GPS is that you never have to reprogram your speedometer. The con is bad reception area (lots of trees, tunnels, mountain passes). That's one reason I like Dakota Digital (and they have a GPS module) is that you can program your speedometer through a marked mile through the setup window, or you can make adjustments while you're driving to get an accurate reading. Both require (initially) key off, enter setup mode, but if you change rear tires or gearing, it's easy to correct your speedometer.
I'm running a GPS Speedo and wouldn't go back. Where I live I very seldomly loose signal and have made more than a couple gear swaps.:thumbsup:

Dash is finished. Searched everywhere for just the right color for the interior and without spending over a hundred bucks on a custom mixed 2K urethane (paint, reducer, hardener) I decided on something unconventional. The perfect color (for me) turns out to be Chrysler Red engine paint.

Picked up a couple cans of Duplicolor engine enamel and went to town. After giving it the weekend to harden I color sanded with 1000, then 1500, then 2000 and then polished with compound and a buffer. Results sure don't look like rattle can and I'm very pleased. Next job is wiring the instruments and lighting. Also need to pick up a new headlight knob.

View attachment 522607

View attachment 522608

View attachment 522609

View attachment 522610

View attachment 522611

View attachment 522612
Awesome job, love it!

Centerline, awesome job on the dash!! :thumbsup: Glad I ran across this thread. I've pondered the same thing and now I'm definitely going to update my 65 Coronet dash. I like the Dakota Digital and like what 65roadracer did (glad to see Michael hanging around here again) my brother has used DD too and likes them.

Jim - on a side note, what did you use for the door seals? I see the wind lace isn't there. I ended up having to put my old seals back in because the new wind lace material was too thick to work. I also have some gaps especially around the vent windows. Ron

Jim - on a side note, what did you use for the door seals? I see the wind lace isn't there. I ended up having to put my old seals back in because the new wind lace material was too thick to work. I also have some gaps especially around the vent windows. Ron
Good eye,,,when new rubber door seal was replaced couldn't find the lace,,so just didn't put any on,but didn't have any wind noise or problems,,,my stock 63 still has good lace,CHEERS

Good eye,,,when new rubber door seal was replaced couldn't find the lace,,so just didn't put any on,but didn't have any wind noise or problems,,,my stock 63 still has good lace,CHEERS
Brain freeze,,it was 20 years ago,but just remembered,the rubber I used was not stock and too wide and thick for lace,so said ,what the hell ,put it on and worked,until a eagle eye like you noticed it,ha,ha.

I had real hassles with it. The new stuff available is too damn thick and was told outfit making it can't reproduce it to oem specs! I got a 2nd order same deal. I left it on my car for a month to possibly take a "set" while restoring and ended up damaging a latch as it had come loose with all the adjusting I tried to do. Seeing your photo gave me thoughts of using other rubber seals that might do the trick.

I installed a Race Pak in a sheet of aluminum.I was able to delete the 4 gauges on the cowl.Being able to "toggle" between dash displays I could eliminate the gauge panel in the speaker hole too.Maybe one day when I put a stereo in........

3.13.16 079.jpg 3.13.16 081.jpg 3.13.16 082.jpg

my old 68 pro street took a sheet of .042 stainless steel put in a large break to get the angles

20-Picture 374.JPG Picture 380-001.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back