• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Own FBBO "Power Tour" Mopar Car Tour

Are you interested in doing a NorthEast region Mopar car tour (always obviously based on scheduling)

• Not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:55 PM
Reaction score
Should we do a FxBO mini tour?

So I took a quick informal poll at the FBBO tent at Carlisle to see if members would be interested in doing a little Mopar tour that we managed on our own. Some had fun calling it the HawkRod Power Tour, but I think Hot Rod magazine might have issue with that! Plus, I'm nothing special, I'd just be trying to organize it.

Of course, like a lot of things, there are always issues. Nothing is perfect and no one could ever set up a tour that would satisfy everyone's needs. The biggest issue is of course geographical. Many members are simply just too far away from one another to choose a general location that works for all. Another is when; our schedules can be pretty full. So I'm going to start small and limited and see what happens.

Here are my initial thoughts
a) Make it a long weekend to minimize folks needing to take a lot of time off of work.
b) Goal will be to meet at the start location, probably mid morning of the first day, then do a short drive to our first overnight.
c) For each evening, I'll try to find a place that has something cool to see or do.
d) Probably we would do small/ cheaper hotels, although if the entire group wanted to book campground areas that could be fun to sit by a campfire with a large group.
e) Then we get up and drive in the AM hours second day to a location. Do some event or sightseeing.
f) Repeat for the third day.
g) Break up and head home

Of course, the big question is where. For now, it needs to be in the North East, and in all cases I want to stay out of very congested areas like the big cities.
Maybe Mid Pennsylvania to Finger Lakes region in New York?
Maybe Eastern New York / Connecticut/ Massachusetts?
Maybe Chesapeake Bay area?

My intent is to get in touch with the folks who click that they are interested. This won't be soon - this is longer range planning. Maybe, at earliest, we would do something in the fall. Other possibility is in the spring of 2024.

Please also comment with suggestions, feedback, etc.

Thanks

I still like the sounds of "Hawk Rod Power Tour" myself.

As far as details of an event like this, I'm open to suggestions. I'm leaning on folks with some experience doing this sort of thing to chime in first before I come to any conclusion or decision.

Great idea Hawk, thanks!

Last edited:
it's definitely the "HawkRod Power Tour"......it needs to be an annual event as my car will go together soon, but maybe not soon enough

Hawk Rod et al, don't let this fizzle out - let's do it! I am in Worcester, MA and will drive anywhere in the Northeast to meetup and take time of as well if necessary. Camping sounds great to keep the comradery and the party going - who's in?!?

Hawk Rod et al, don't let this fizzle out - let's do it! I am in Worcester, MA and will drive anywhere in the Northeast to meetup and take time of as well if necessary. Camping sounds great to keep the comradery and the party going - who's in?!?
I haven't forgotten. As I said in my original post:
My intent is to get in touch with the folks who click that they are interested. This won't be soon - this is longer range planning. Maybe, at earliest, we would do something in the fall. Other possibility is in the spring of 2024.

I have a really busy next few weeks and have to travel several of them. One potential target is to do a fall drive and check out the fall foliage in the northeast somewhere. This could be mid to late October for me. The other option is to do a spring ride when all the flowers and plants are sprouting.
Either way, I have to do some planning for the route, things to see, places to stay, etc. The key will be to have some enjoyable roads to travel and cool things to see.

Excellent choice for a fall drive!! Cooler, school is back in session so more lodging/camping availability, less traffic and of course the scenery. Finger lakes, Southern Tier NY, Berkshires, NE Pa all good choices IMO. I vote for a Friday to Monday cruise but I am retired and have the time.
MoPar to Ya!

Excellent choice for a fall drive!! Cooler, school is back in session so more lodging/camping availability, less traffic and of course the scenery. Finger lakes, Southern Tier NY, Berkshires, NE Pa all good choices IMO. I vote for a Friday to Monday cruise but I am retired and have the time.
MoPar to Ya!
Cruises are a lot of fun. Our Mopar club has been talking about sponsoring a cruise in the fall. May be a drive over to the river. (Mississippi) I have been on a few. They are a hoot. Stop somewhere for a picnic lunch and a stop or two at a out of the way pub for a cold refreshment. Optional of course.

A couple of us are organizing an Illinois rt 66 trip on FCBO. This sort of thing can be a lot of fun and what our cars were made for...
"Back then people didn't travel to make great time, they traveled to have a great time..."

A couple of us are organizing an Illinois rt 66 trip on FCBO. This sort of thing can be a lot of fun and what our cars were made for...
"Back then people didn't travel to make great time, they traveled to have a great time..."
Can you send me info on this?

I am still working, but I could probably venture across the border for a long weekend. Obviously the closer to Lake Ontario or Lake Erie for me the better. My wife and I did a trip to the Finger Lakes region probably about 20 years ago, beautiful area, and we combined it with a trip to Legendary to pick up seat covers for my former Barracuda. We passed by Watkins Glen, but never stopped in. That could be an interesting side trip.

Cruises are a lot of fun. Our Mopar club has been talking about sponsoring a cruise in the fall. May be a drive over to the river. (Mississippi) I have been on a few. They are a hoot. Stop somewhere for a picnic lunch and a stop or two at a out of the way pub for a cold refreshment. Optional of course.

Mike, if you guys get something going pm me if non club members can join in.

Just like the PowerTour

I'm sure it'd be fun & to meet a bunch of members
& alike-minded people

I'd be interested if it was somewhere out west
I have no need or desire to drive to the eastern coast
midwest or east of the Mississippi, hell east of the Rockies for that matter...
Been there and done that, way too many times for races or vacations
IMO for us out here, it's just not worth it, not at fuel prices today...
Better things to spend the retirement or my car $$$'s on...
Plenty of great places to see within 24 hrs or even 1,200 miles of my house...

***or deal with the weather/rain tornados thunderstorms hail issues
always back east

I like to cruise, like most here probably or a race within reasonable distance
or do a car event, like autocross or something, not just sit by & talk
at a show & shine deal...
Or not just driving thousands of miles just to get there to begin with...
Not really into that drive, or travel across the country,
I love my car & the hobby
But;
the nostalgia of driving an old car, without A/C, a hotrodder beast
or without any other modern creature comforts, living out of a suitcase
sleeping on the side of the road or camping/roughing it...
Or dealing with car or fuel issues minor or major, isn't all that appealing anymore...

Also I'd be probably doing it alone, none of that stuff, it doesn't really appeal to me...

Now 20 years ago I'd be the 1st one there...
goating on everyone else

my 87 y/o dad's health is a part of it too & I ain't dragging him along
albeit he'd dig it...
I'd need to rough it & camp because;
I'm not leaving Elvis (my dog) behind either...

If I hadn't already worn my *** out already,
sitting & driving across the country probably
some 15+ times already, (drag racing & in a comfy rig)
I may think about it a lil' differently...

I did a long trip in my 68 Charger R/T in 1975-ish (I was 16) to Sands Michigan
from Garden Valley Ca., may have been from Concord Ca.
anyway, to see my sister & her newborn son, while she was in the USAF...
I remember sleeping uncomfortably, driving uncomfortably, getting bad food
getting some really great food & some really shitty fuel...
It was an epic trip, I swore then I'd not do it again...
Did many a trip or shorter lengths too, in old cars over the past 48+ years...

Also the expense !!!
I can handle that much better today, but why
(don't get me wrong I'd like to meet a bunch of FBBO people in person too)
But;
I can use that same $$ to build/buy start another project,
or improve my current cars/truck now, build another better engine etc. :blah:
or maybe a start a 68-71 D100 or better yet 68-71 W100 PowerWagon...

Every time one of these things comes up it's 2,000+ - nearly 3,000 miles away
both ways, seems to be always back east, or maybe at best midwest...

No thanks
not right now, sorry not trying to be a downer...

All of the locations 'Adds another 4k-6k in miles' to my trip,
adds 400-600+ gallons of fuel $1,600+- $2,400+ to the trip,
each way + the extra wear & tear on my car
on-top of whatever the "TOUR" is or places we would go...

If the shoe was on the other foot would all of you come out here ?
I'm sure maybe a couple may, majority won't...

I'd cost me $10,000 easily 2-3 weeks probably, far more $$$
if I didn't want to rough it...
Maybe another $3500+ to add a Gearvenders OD, to make it bearable...
I love youz' guyz' & all
but not $10,000-$13,500 love... :lol:

Last edited:
@HawkRod We’d like to do this with you!
IMG_3884.jpeg
IMG_4184.jpeg
IMG_3817.gif
20210522_145636_Original.jpeg
20210522_151033_Original.jpeg
20210522_151356_Original.jpeg
20210522_152404_Original.jpeg
20210522_144655_Original.jpeg
20210522_152915_Original.jpeg
20210522_161037_Original.jpeg

Hawk Rod et al:

Are we still thinkinking about this as a Northeast Power Tour? I'm in let's do it even if it's just a small group that can - camping or hotels are fine with me... I'm in Holden, MA adjacent to Worcester and can travel down to a central location.

road robert

Award  Palmer '23.jpg

Award  Palmer Animals '23.jpg

Award Deven '23.jpg

Folks, I haven't forgotten about the this thread or the tour. However, it will have to wait until spring as there is just too much going on this fall for me to plan a decent tour.

Look for an update early in the year where I will do some planning and get the ball rolling. Thanks for your patience!

Auto Transport Service
Back