• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Part question.?.?.?

66DodgeCharger

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im 18 and fixing a 1966 charger so I can drive it before I go off to boot camp and then to service, I want to get it going hopefully this spring break, and I have a list compiled a long list of materials/parts that I know ill need and material/parts that I might need tot make it run & drive and what not. What i'm wondering are there any places that have "cheap" parts it put cheap in quotations because no part is ever cheap but i'm sure you know that, I was just looking online at one parts store and so far my bill is almost $1,500 I was going to "shop around" at different car parts places but that's with every damn thing I could possibly think of that could hinder it from running... i'm not looking for top of the line parts cheaper the better for right now because after service i'm going to rebuild everything. I was just online looking at some other sites and CARID had calipers for $80 vs the other parts stores at like $130 I know that it just one part but that 50 bucks cheaper... are there any other cheap places I should check out and is CARID a good site to buy parts off of?

I also live in Mosinee Wisconsin 54455

The more info the better always open to suggestions.

sorry for it being so long got carried away kinda...

Thanks for taking the time to read this and possibly respond.

Jesse

Glad to have a young person help in keeping this hobby alive! Also thank you for your enlistment to serve our country!
My scenario was a little different but price had everything to do with what I purchased when building my wifes car.
I did a lot of horse trading- Swap meets/CL, tried to be patient when looking for a part as to get the best deals. Learn all of the different resources...this is a great place to find things as is FABO/FEBO ect...found another site called Mopar Swap shop on FB that has been productive....
Good luck and post some pics of your ride!

On ebay I don't even look at Carid parts, have you looked at there shipping costs. On ebay price of part maybe cheap but shipping can kill the deal. Maybe not all parts and maybe if you don't buy on ebay. Just watch shipping charges they can get you from anybody.

Thanks for the help guys, i'll look into all the information you have provided me.

Thanks,

Jesse

my 66 Charger has a caliper set up in front and drum bake setup in the rear, whats the common drum break size i should put on it and what's the difference between a 10" vs 11" than the size?

my 66 Charger has a caliper set up in front and drum bake setup in the rear, whats the common drum break size i should put on it and what's the difference between a 10" vs 11" than the size?
All 66 chargers had drum brakes. Calipers on the front would indicate a disc brake conversion, so you would need to determine which parts were used. If they came off an A-Body which used to be the most common(dart, duster etc..) or some aftermarket swap. That could be tricky. Almost all cars had 10" X 2-1/2"drums (8-3/4" rear end gear). So the rear brakes should be an easy replacement. Take some pictures of the front and post them. Someone here can identify them I'm sure. Brakes are top priority.
Change all the fluids, hoses (particularly the power steering hose) and belts. Get a clear fuel filter and watch it carefully. But make sure to get some test drive time in before any longer distance driving.
Good luck! It can be done.

Thank you, were in the middle oh moving so once i have it at our new place i put it up and take pictures... trust me I have a list compiled, first i'm making sure the engine runs befor I go and do break and shocks...

So far on my list of things i'm going to need for sure and parts that might cause the problem...
I'm thinking of new stuff every day hahahah, little by little it gets longer...

1966 Dodge Charger
361 V8 4 bbl Carb

F=Front R=Rear
D=Driver P=Passenger

Engine Parts (Build Part 1)
Valve cover gaskets
Intake gaskets
Valley tray
Exhaust gaskets
Spark plugs
Ignition wires
Oil pan gaskets
Tranny tray gasket set
Oil filter
Oil
Tranny fluid
Coolant
Carburetor rebuild kit
Fuel filter
Battery Wires
belts

Brake Parts (Build Part 2)
Shocks F/R D/P
Brake caliper F D/P
Brake pads F D/P
Brake rotor F D/P
Brake dust shield F D/P
Brake drum R D/P
Brake drum hardware kit R D/P
Brake drum pads R D/P
Brake Hoses F/R D/P

Maybe needed Parts
Fuel pump
Starter
Alternator
Fuel lines
Brake lines
Oil pump
Distributor
Ignition coil
Leaf springs
Control arms
Timing chain
Water pump

Odds and Ends
Wipers
Mirror
Taillights

Weren't disc's an option, if they're 4 piston calipers with a single master cylinder it could be factory. Pictures would be nice. If that master cylinder is a disc brake single master it is unobtainum. Don't throw it out if it's bad, if you convert to a dual master. You might be able to sell it for a good price if even if it's bad.

If you have factory disc's they are crazy $$$ to work on
66 disc.PNG
66 master.PNG
master.PNG
. Here are pictures. Note the master is taller than non-disc cars. 2nd picture is a disc master, 3rd picture is a drum brake master. Disc brake master looks like a reservoir on top of a reservoir?

Oh i'm not going throwing anything out, i'm keeping every piece that I pull off the car...

The master cylinder does have a reserve on it, if that's what a duel is.

If it is tall like the second picture it's a factory disc master. You can switch to a 67 disc drum master but you need a junction block to separate front and back brakes and a proportion valve to rear brakes, this is a common change. Not to be Mr. Downer those 4 piston calipers cost a lot to rebuild. If you rebuild them I'd spend the money to have them sleeved. Glad your not tossing parts, you never know. Rear drums maybe 10"x2" but not sure. Had a 69 with disc in front had 10"x2" rears.

This what my master cylinder looks like.. just old and rusty...

I do have a 2001 dodge ram that i'm parting out and i'll be taking the brake cylinder and booster off for the hell of it would that possibly woke in anyway or no?

No clue. Was there suppose to be a picture? Which does it look like, my picture 2 or 3?

Many parts can be had cheaply if your willing, and able, to go to the salvage yards and pull the parts off yourself. Most things can be blasted and cleaned up. As far as any rubber items go, buy new and check around for the best price. Also don't hesitate to see the Classified sections here on FBBO, many of us sell things there and you have only to do a search or just skim through the newest entries on back to see what's available. Good luck and keep after it. Congrats on entering the service from a 30 year retired combat vet. Ghost.

yes there was supposed to be a picture, no it doesn't look look like your picture 2 or 3...

Lets see if this one works out better... technology is not cooperating today...

Many parts can be had cheaply if your willing, and able, to go to the salvage yards and pull the parts off yourself. Most things can be blasted and cleaned up. As far as any rubber items go, buy new and check around for the best price. Also don't hesitate to see the Classified sections here on FBBO, many of us sell things there and you have only to do a search or just skim through the newest entries on back to see what's available. Good luck and keep after it. Congrats on entering the service from a 30 year retired combat vet. Ghost.

Thanks Ghostrider, i'm enlisted in the Marines and leave for boot camp sometime between end of september/ beginning of August i'm planning on staying in for a while, My MOS is MT and that's as much as I know for now... and I will Ill search around and see if i can find anything useful , i'm just looking to get it up and going for the few months ill be able to drive it before I ship out...

Auto Transport Service
Back