• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PIRATE JACK ROTORS...SERIOUS PROBLEM HERE!

DrewTX

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
IF YOU HAVE PIRATE JACK ROTORS...READ THIS! DANGEROUS! Today, I planned on installing new drilled slotted front rotors for my 1971 Charger that I purchased from Pirate Jack. They are part number 5314RX and 5314LX and fit 1962-1972 Mopar B&E Body. I did not want to use the preinstalled bearing races (also called cups) that come with the rotors, as overseas manufactures will use the cheapest available. I removed the inner race to install an SKF bearing race (part number BR6) and realized the diameter is different. The correct race OD is 59.1mm and Pirate Jack's are 59.95mm. I added the second photo below which details the correct diameter taken from RockAuto. Ok, this seems like nothing but the correct race is completely loose and will not stay secure in the rotor. Also the correct ID of the race should be 48.2mm, but Pirate Jack's is 49.2mm which means the bearing is riding incorrectly in the race. This could EASILY lead to dangerous failure! As I have two new inner bearings (left and right) I took the photo below showing the bearing seated in Pirate Jack's race (left) and the correct race (right). You would not likely notice this unless you removed the preinstalled race. I will be contacting Pirate Jack.

Thoughts or feedback on this?
pirateJack5314 inner race.jpg

CE_41091006_Fro.jpg

Is it true that you are talking about using a cup from one bearing set (cone and cup) and a cone from another that gives the issue you are showing in the picture??
I read this through a couple of times and that is what I get from your explanation.

Clearly the race/bearing set that you want to use needs to fit the bore you have. Since it does not it is not going to work.

The reason for the different size bores for the race you talk about is a good question by it's self.

I agree with you and do not trust the bearing quality of chinese bearings and I would only be happy to find a domestic bearing --set--- (cone and cup) that properly fit both the OD and ID of what I was working with.

BTW I am not familiar with the bearing brand "Centricparts" Is that domestic made??
The ID of a cup race is a tough item to measure and generally not used to identify a bearing.

Last edited:
Thanks for your quick response. I used the Centricparts image only to reference the diameter is correct with my measurements and the OEM original. So, SKF bearing part number BR6 is the correct inner wheel bearing. Pirate Jack's supplier is installing the incorrect race in the new rotors. It may be possible to find the correct race with a larger diameter OD and correct seat for the BR6 bearing....but think of all the guys out there that are driving their cars regularly with potential catastrophic failure. The bearing surface is riding on the inner cone edge. This is almost guaranteed to fail and I would be very surprised if it has not occurred. There is the possibility, mine or only a few are defective using the wrong race. It should be easy to see irregular wear on the bearing if someone has these. This is such a bad situation, that needs to be fixed.

In my 20's and 30's, I was ASE certified in suspension and brake systems so feel pretty confident in this assessment. This is a real bummer.

I think I get your point. If one was to buy a bearing that fit an OD bore that was 0.85mm loose that is just plane wrong.
Another just plane wrong thing is using a bearing cone that does not fit the cup --as you showed in your picture. I see two issues going on here with your questions.

When one buys a tapered roller bearing like this it comes as a unit.--cup and cone--
That unit is -the- bearing
The cup you show in your picture --on the left-- is as wrong for the cone it is on as it is wrong for the bore you want to put it into.----Two issues.

Question--Will the ID of the cone of the SKF bearing set you bought properly fit the shaft of your hub?

Last edited:
I think I've figured this out. The Pirate Jack's race has the following printed on it: "China L68111" which crosses to an SKF BR17 bearing/race set used in 1973 and up Chrysler products. It looks like they've used the wrong race. It is approximately 1mm larger and the mating bearing is not interchangeable. As I mentioned before, I would not have likely noticed this if I had not removed the original Pirate Jack's rotor race to replace it with a quality SKF.

Incorrect:
BR17 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.3612
Pirate Jack's rotor. 1973 and later Chrysler/Dodge.

Correct:
BR6 bearing-race dimensions:
Outer Diameter (in) 2.328
1972 and earlier Chrysler/Dodge.

Auto Transport Service
Back