• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Placement of Vacuum Pump & Canister on 65 Belvedere

Paul Cotton

Local time
4:10 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II with a 440 ci motor. The car has a Bullet hi performance cam in it which leaves less than desirable engine vacuum to operate the power brakes. I have purchased a vacuum canister and vacuum pump to resolve the problem. However, I am finding very little room in the engine compartment for these additions. Can anyone tell me if they are aware of how other people have addressed the location issue on a 65 Belvedere. Can the pump and canister be located in the trunk with metal tubing run under the car back up to the engine compartment?

I have a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere II with a 440 ci motor. The car has a Bullet hi performance cam in it which leaves less than desirable engine vacuum to operate the power brakes. I have purchased a vacuum canister and vacuum pump to resolve the problem. However, I am finding very little room in the engine compartment for these additions. Can anyone tell me if they are aware of how other people have addressed the location issue on a 65 Belvedere. Can the pump and canister be located in the trunk with metal tubing run under the car back up to the engine compartment?
Put a hydrobooster setup on it.

The only one I've got a good look at was in a 66 Charger and he had it mounted right on top of the inner fender on the driver's side. You do lose some "oomph" the farther away from the brake booster you get.... there's a physics thing about that I can't remember.... basically, it's hard to drink a coca-cola out of a 15 foot straw for the same reason. Could you "maybe" put it in the wheel well & protect it somehow? Or is there room under your dash? I've heard they're loud like an electric fuel pump though.

I vote for trunk installation. They are noisy and may need some sound insulation. PEX tubing will work for routing back to engine compartment and is cheap.
Mike

The only one I've got a good look at was in a 66 Charger and he had it mounted right on top of the inner fender on the driver's side. You do lose some "oomph" the farther away from the brake booster you get.... there's a physics thing about that I can't remember.... basically, it's hard to drink a coca-cola out of a 15 foot straw for the same reason. Could you "maybe" put it in the wheel well & protect it somehow? Or is there room under your dash? I've heard they're loud like an electric fuel pump though.

I will take a look at the wheel well, that may be an option. There is just no room under the hood. Thanks for the reply.

I vote for trunk installation. They are noisy and may need some sound insulation. PEX tubing will work for routing back to engine compartment and is cheap.
Mike
I contacted SSBC tech support and they said it would work in the trunk. Noise was the drawback that I was most worried about. If I go with the trunk, I may have to figure out some kind of insulation around it. Thanks for the reply.

Like you, I was concerned about the distance with a trunk mount. That's along draw through the straw for vacuum. I contact SSBC tech support and they said it would work. If I can't make the inside the fender well mount work, I may have to go with the trunk mount. Thanks for the reply.

Auto Transport Service
Back