• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your 12 second combos

Not too bad of a 60' for running 12.20's must work well...
Not too shabby at all 1965wagon, congrats !!

Ran the car for the first time in the 1/4 and ran a best of 12.88 @ 107. I feel like the car should be low 12's. 60ft is like 2.01 which is terrible, also the track was at 4,600 DA that day.

Car is full weight, 68' Coronet in full trim expect for battery in the trunk and no spare/carpet in trunk.

I was foot braking it and the pedal was sinking a little so I couldn't get the car to hold at the line above 2,000 rpm or so. It ended up being a leaky wheel cylinder in the rear. That and the car was throwing v belts at half track which cut off my water pump. It was kind of a stressful day, lol.

Specs.
446ci 10:1
727 Cope RMVB Trans, 3,500 Stall PTC 9.5" Converter.
Lunati 60304 Cam
3.91 Gears, 8.75 axle
28" Drag Radial(Nitto 555r, 275/60)
OOTB Stealth Heads
Hooker 1 7/8 Headers
2.5" Exhaust through Dynomax mufflers out the tail
318 T bars, Stock Pinion Snubber
Fitech EFI 600hp Kit, A/F ratio was spot on all the way down the track.

I just dont get why it wasn't faster. Maybe I just need more practice(4th time to the track ever), Got a line lock now too which should help getting the tires warmed up.

That's a similar time and MPH I was running before I went to Trick Flow heads. (12.87@106, 1.78-1.83 60') It's definitely the 60' time that is hurting you. Were you overpowering the track and spinning off the line? Maybe it's the tires. I'm not too familiar with Nitto tires.

Your MPH does seem low for having Stealths and that cam. What are you shifting at and what's your timing?

My 69 RR with a 451 and 915 heads, similar build, 3.91 gears, auto, 28" slicks, 509 Hyd cam, runs low 12s at 5600 feet in Colo. Street Dominator intake with a Holley 850 carb. The main difference? I run 13 to1 C Ratio. That seems to help alot, especially at altitude. Did you open up the headers? That helps too.

I see you're using EFI. What is the intake manifold like? Is it an individual runner type such as a Torker, or a Victor?

I was running through the mufflers. Shifting at 6k, timing is set to 18 base and 36 all in around 2,400 or so. Not much tire spin off the line.

Running a Holley Street Dominator single plane. I'm thinking I just need more seat time, the brakes were kinda leaking that day which ment I couldn't really do a burn out or hold the car back(foot braking) at the line.

Last edited:
Same intake I use. The main difference here is C/Ratio. I don't think a home ported 915 head is going to flow much more than a Stealth. They say C/Ratio doesn't make much difference, but experience has shown to me that it makes a BIG difference. As much as 1 second and 10 MPH, for say 10 to 1, vs 13 to 1. I think part of the improvement comes from better scavenging of the spent ex gas. I've built alot of 440s, and the high compression ones make WAY better power.

I took the R/T out to the track last night to try out the new tires. My tach decided to take take a s#&T so I had to shift by feel. 1st run was a 13.01 with a 1.89 60ft.the second run was 12.84 with a 1.94 60ft. And the last run was 12.64 with a 1.87 60ft. All runs were made as driven to the track. Overall I was happy with the runs and the 60ft times were better than my previous best. It was still slower than my best previous time of 12.51 but without the tach I was short shifting it so there shold be more in her. All in all it was a fun evening.

1. I would definitely open up the exhaust at the track. Some would also argue that a 2.5" exhaust on that setup is holding the car back, so uncorking it would negate that.
  2. You need to experiment with the shift points. You might have a little more rpm (or less) in the car
  3. You definitely need to heat up the Nitto's and fix the brakes. You should be pushing 2500-2800rpm on the line at least.
  4. And speaking of staging techniques, I like to stage shallow and when that last yellow hits, floor it. That gives you momentum off the line before the clock is triggered. With hot drag radials, it should hook for sure. If guys are running in the 7's with them, no reason you can't run 12's.
  5. Fix your V-belt setup

1. I would definitely open up the exhaust at the track. Some would also argue that a 2.5" exhaust on that setup is holding the car back, so uncorking it would negate that.
  2. You need to experiment with the shift points. You might have a little more rpm (or less) in the car
  3. You definitely need to heat up the Nitto's and fix the brakes. You should be pushing 2500-2800rpm on the line at least.
  4. And speaking of staging techniques, I like to stage shallow and when that last yellow hits, floor it. That gives you momentum off the line before the clock is triggered. With hot drag radials, it should hook for sure. If guys are running in the 7's with them, no reason you can't run 12's.
  5. Fix your V-belt setup

Thanks for the tips!

I've since fixed the V belts and fixed the brakes AND added a line lock. So now I just need seat time! Going to be a fun summer I'm thinking!

I drove out to the track Saturday night to do some testing even though I haven't found a tach yet. I mean a column mounted tach that I don't have to take my eyes off the the track to see. My Cyberdyne speedometer has a tach and shift light but it is mounted down on the lower dash causing me to take my eyes off The track if only for a split second my second pass was a 12.74 @106.5 mph shifting at 5 500 rpms .My third run was cut short because I saw a trail of smoke behind me on top of second gear actually don't know when I started smoking but that's when I looked in the mirror. My dips tick tube had come out of the block and sprayed oil all over the left side header the car ran a 1.84 60 ft and a 12.31@ 89 mph
I sprayed from the middle of 1st gear to the middle of second gear but then I saw a cloud of smoke billowing from the car so I let off. The car sounded fine and drove to the timing booth just fine so I drove back to my spot and I did a more comprehensive inspection where I noticed the dips tick tube was off to one side. I corrected the problem but then it started to rain. Not very heavy but enough that racing was going to be a while. So I headed home. So a 12.30 coasting thru the quarter mile should have been in the 11s under ful power easy I think. But that's not the weirdest part. That Friday before I was going to drive the R/T to work and then go to the track from there but Friday morning the car won't start. Cranks fine but won't start. The weird part that I found there wasn't any switched power to the MSD box or the timing controller to be the issue. Only it's been running 10 plus years wired like it was. Unexplainable in my mindset

Last edited:
I was running through the mufflers. Shifting at 6k, timing is set to 18 base and 36 all in around 2,400 or so. Not much tire spin off the line.

Running a Holley Street Dominator single plane. I'm thinking I just need more seat time, the brakes were kinda leaking that day which ment I couldn't really do a burn out or hold the car back(foot braking) at the line.
Thanks for the tips!

I've since fixed the V belts and fixed the brakes AND added a line lock. So now I just need seat time! Going to be a fun summer I'm thinking!

Let me know if and when you are going to head up to Fontana, maybe we can convoy up the 15.

I went to the track again this Saturday to do some testing and tuning. I worked on the tree and 60ft times. I did however make a full pass just for comparison notes. 1/4 time was 12.78@105mph w/1.86 60ft. But the run before I had a 1.83 60ft best to date. My 1/8th mile times were pretty consistent at 8.10, 8.14, 8.20.
I'm also seeing some interesting paterns in my notes. Going to focus more on the details of my set up to gain consistency.

well last time out was 11.82 flat at 6200rpm , in street trim throw mufflers , just like i drive it around town . 440 +.01 9.8 c/r stage 3 heads headers , solid cam (john delong grind) mw crossram w/ a pair of 660 holleys , chrysler dizzy w/ a msd 6 , 727 tf ratching sprag converter , 4.56 8 3/4 r/e , car has run a 10.73 with a wicked 8k 383 w 850 carb and a better converter . held a record back in 73 in ihra class . new engine in process , new times with it as well .

05180027.jpg 05190025.jpg 05190026.jpg 05190027.jpg

Attachments

• scan0007.pdf
    420.5 KB · Views: 223
Finally in the 12s...
This with a bad tune, need smaller high speed air bleeds and bigger pvcr jets.
The afr was all over the place.
12.67@106. 8
60' 1.857sec
This with 100hp nitrous in 2nd and half 3rd gear (nitrous button broke off)

Went [email protected] 60' 1.88s without nitrous
Combo:
64 belvedere all steel with bench seat
75' smog 440
Cast internals 8:1 comp
Comp cams xe284h hydraulic
452 template ported by me and 3 angle valve job, stock valves
Speedmaster China junk ss roller rockers
Edelbrock rpm intake
NOS sniper plate kit
Quick fuel hr 850 dp carb
70s dizzy and msd 6a
Ngk 7s pluggs
Headman headers and 3" exhaust
2 chamber walker mufflers that neck down to 2 1/4" internal

727 with tf2 shift kit
Hughes 3000 stall converter

8 3/4 rear with 3.73 gears and limited slip

26/15x10 slicks

2 day event with 2 different tracks.
The cars had to be driven between the tracks via checkpoints just like hot rod drag week (only alot smaller) . About 300km
Had a old Swedish one wheel trailer behind my car

IMG-20170720-WA0010.jpg IMG-20170719-WA0000.jpg

finally 12.80s first time out this year 105 mph got that 13.00 monkey of my back lol
001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back