• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power & Torque Comparisonsj

Xtro

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
Hi Newbie from Australia here. My car is in the welcome wagon forum. I have just purchased a 1969 Coronet RT. The engine & drivetrain arnt original and from the engine number it seems to be a 1966 440 RB. It's had some work done to it with a cam and original 6 Pack added. I'm trying to compare power & torque to the original motor single barrel 440 magnum Hp it came out with. This motor I have seems to have heaps of torque. Travelling at 20-30 mph in 1st gear if plant the gas it spins through 1st, 2nd & 3rd easily. Even at 60mph in 4th if I plant it it will spin at that speed. I was wondering how this compares to the original HP motor and carbie set up it came out with . It has the original Dana 60 sure track it came out with. The gearbox is the the new process A833.Did the original combo have this sort of power?

IMG_5392.JPG IMG_5405.JPG IMG_5362.JPG IMG_5364.JPG

You can look up the horsepower/torque ratings online. The '66 440's weren't "technically" high performance engines (not until '67).... but maybe in the range of 350-375 horsepower and 400+ lbs.ft. of torque. Your motor sounds a little stronger than stock based on your description.... ballpark guess 500+/500+

60mph/4th gear and it spins??? Hard to believe unless mega-power, maybe that's the clutch spinning. Anyways, I had some old Eagle GT's on my six pack that were rock hard from age and I could spin at nearly any speed too but now with soft compound new tires that grab I can only muster chirping through the top gears so my point being, may not be all about engine power.

a '66 440 probably made an honest 310-320 horsepower. a '68-'70 4bbl hipo engine did about 325-330 real horsepower. a '69-'71 6pak did somewhere around 340-370 real horsepower. the old engine manuals tell you what the real numbers were. the advertised numbers were never achieved.

60mph/4th gear and it spins??? Hard to believe unless mega-power, maybe that's the clutch spinning. Anyways, I had some old Eagle GT's on my six pack that were rock hard from age and I could spin at nearly any speed too but now with soft compound new tires that grab I can only muster chirping through the top gears so my point being, may not be all about engine power.

I do know a bit about engine power. I have a Chrysler 300 srt supercharged that gives 540hp at the wheels, so I do know when the wheels are spinning and not the clutch. My question was whether this is normal for a Coronet RT with a 440 6 pack to spin like this or has the motor had some work done to it. I know a cam has been put into it. The tyres are only redline 235/15/ 70 on the rear so they wouldn't offer much resistance. Unless you own a 1969 coronet with a six pack it would be hard to give me an accurate answer. Cheers

I've given up trying to compare engine power ratings. The truth is there aren't a lot of engines out there that haven't been rebuilt at least once, and many that have been through the mill two times or more, and there's no telling what's been done to them. Think about it... a lot of engines were rebuilt the first time in the 1980s... that was 30-40 years ago!

Nowadays, unless you're going to have the engine torn down and spec'd, there's just no way to tell what's been done to it over four or five decades, and the idea of a "stock" engine is about dead unless you have a car with an engine that's documented to be original to the car and has never been rebuilt, and those are increasingly rare.

Sound so like some work was done to the engine. Do you know your gear ratio?

Well I wish your car had access to a rear wheel dyno to see what kind of numbers it pulls, like I said must have gobs of power to spin tires at 60mph. If it were mine I'd be smiling from ear to ear.

unless your tires are rock hard junk then spinning them at 60 mph is pretty dam stout.most stock rides wont do that without about 100+ shot of nitrous.

Auto Transport Service
Back