• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro Stock is DYING!

At our local track it is standing room only when we have the no prep races. I don't follow Pro stock at all anymore after Dodge pulled the rug out from under their best team. I would follow Factory Stock racing if they showed it on TV though.

NHRA has ruined the sport. its became a big money game that us normal guys cannot even relate too. i prefer the heads up stuff myself.

NHRA stepped on its own with the new F.I. rules. Go back to carbs I say. There was a good article in Hot Rod a while back. Pulling hot air off the track results in a 40 HP loss for every 10 degree rise. No sympathy here.

his article is dead on right. boring is the way of the past. if you are going to survive in todays market, you need fun and show. the new generations have lower and lower attention spans. you have to keep them interested or your sport will age out very fast.
i do think that pro mod has a place. it has the fun and the show. just run it part time. let the owners decide how often they can afford to run and mod it from there.
he is also correct about the factory stock class. it has the fun and the show as well as the connection to "my" car.

Drag Racing for me has lost it's charm completely. What is the point of watching a race that lasts four seconds (i.e. top fuel)? Those who can spend an unlimited amount of money won't be satisfied until they cross the finish line before they even leave the start line. It's like a premature ejaculation. I'd prefer to watch showroom stock rather than try not to miss today's races if a blink my eyes once at the wrong time. Boring watching only the "rich" run these races which leaves guys like me forever out of the loop and "glory".

Yep too costly for the returns
unless you're one of the super teams,
even they aren't growing, they're struggling,
expensive drivers $300k is for a competitive name driver alone,
extremely expensive cars, chassis & part
hell the electronic shocks are well over $10k now
a chassis is easily $75k for a no name, $150k for a decent roller
$350k + Bickel or Haas etc. car for a anywhere near complete
& actually competitive car with engine & drivetrain, engine program etc.

A single car team self funded is extremely rare to ever compete/competitively

The damn field size dwindling &/or can hardly field a full field
in many events now, 14 cars in many events, that sucks

They should make an Open/Pro - "Stock Eliminator"
American Made "2 dr" stock body & style of engines etc.
Challengers/Demons, Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, class as a Pro Class,
give some leeway on the mandatory min & max. wheelbase
so more cars can compete as long as they are stock wheel base
{unfortunately that'd take the Chargers out of it unless they made a 2dr version}

IMO the sanctioning bodies {especially NHRA} all should
promote Pro-mod as a premiere headliners Pro-class,
eliminate P/S as we have it today

Or increase the P/S purses & tow money to
reflect the expenditures, costs etc.
So independent teams can compete,
not just super Pro-Camaro teams we have today, YAWN !!
the $2+ million sponsorships needed to campaign a
real P/S competitively today, especially when the
TV exposure sucks ***, compared to the last ESPN 2, FOX-SP1,
they barely even show P/S anymore, ESPN sucked *** too,
but was far better than FS1 is today
If I was a sponsor I'd choose to put my $$$ elsewhere,
to get the best bang for the buck...

I'd much rather see Super Stock or Pro-Mod anyway
I was an ol' die hard door-slammer classes & P/S guy too

Hell I'd like to see Fuel Altered far more than the Pro-Camaro class...

Last edited:
Personally, I record NHRA races and skip through the whole thing just to catch the 1-minute spot that they occasionally run on Stock & Super Stock final rounds. I'd watch a full hour of those guys, but that's just me. I suppose I could pay for NHRA full access and watch online, but I have a wife that expects me to get some things done..... haha.

It seems they're focusing toward top fuel the 'big boys' personally I can't watch races where it seems most of the time only one car makes it down the track anymore..BO-ring! Too bad nostalgia stuff doesn't get the airplay..I used to watch NHRA but I got to the point of just watching it to see the psychobikes...
1143934002_143f43761c_z.jpg

They should have left carbs as an option in Pro Stock. There was a "rumor" of putting the current factory supercharged V8s(c.i. limit and spec blower) in the current Pro Stock chassis, who knows?
I use to love watching Pro Stock.
I would rather watch F/S, SS and Stock over any of the pro classes now.
I'm only a 2 hour drive from Indy and haven't been to the U.S. Nationals in 10 years.

Pro Stock
An auxymoron.
Been a long time since these cars resembled anything stock.
To many changes have been allowed.

Pro Stock
An auxymoron.
Been a long time since these cars resembled anything stock.
To many changes have been allowed.
agree w/ this. They should have to run engines that actually came from the factory too., not corporate special built race blocks and heads. limited to actual stock valve sizes. I haven`t watched since Chrysler pulled out, the same w/ nascar !

Auto Transport Service
Back