• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pro touring 66 D100

Average Joe

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
Good morning Mopar enthusiasts,I wanted to share my pro touring truck build.
I am building a 1966 Dodge D-100 Sweptline.
So far what I have done is replace the front leaf springs with a front clip from a Crown Victoria,in the process of boxing the frame and adding a four link suspension.
The pictures I have are not that great but as I start getting going again I will have better photos to share.I am in the process of finishing the Engine.
So the drive train is going to be a 6BT 12 valve Cummins Turbo diesel.1993 block,head and rotating assembly,913 P-7100 CPP hot street built injection pump,hamiltons cam,Diesel Power Source 62/75 Compound turbo kit.4L80E Four speed transmission.Dana 60 out of a 88 Dodge 3/4 ton that I cut down and put 8-3/4 housing ends on.I am hoping to do about 550 HP and around 950 lb/ft. of torque.

IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0613.jpg IMG_0614.jpg IMG_1016.jpg IMG_1015.jpg IMG_1014.jpg IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0609.jpg

I like it. How hard was the front suspension swap?
Why didn't you use a later Dodge frame?
Why didn't you use the motor mount pad on the CV cross member?
I'm not criticizing, I want to do something similar in the future.

I would guess that using the ford-car stuff, made it a bunch easier to lower...and after-market parts are probably everywhere for really cool stuff.

I like it. How hard was the front suspension swap?
Why didn't you use a later Dodge frame?
Why didn't you use the motor mount pad on the CV cross member?
I'm not criticizing, I want to do something similar in the future.

The crown vic front suspension offers more aftermarket support than a newer Dodge truck frame. I am doing air ride and also want to get this truck low and to handle.Also using a later dodge frame I would have to start over with mounting the entire cab,fenders and bed. With the crown vic I just boxed it in and make the mounts.
The Cummins motor is wide and the mounts would be below the engine.With the Turbo Diesel the engine has so much torque it needs a mount that spreads horizontal.If you were to do the mounts vertical it would probably snap the mounts on shut down.
Honestly the way I have my mounts It might still do that.I won't know until I get it started.

Also the frame needs a little surgery to get the crown vic front end installed.
Sweptline frames taper in and down.

Saw a baby blue one with hopped up slanty and torque thrust Ds at the swap meet this past week that was really neat...
I like your representation of the 6 much better!!!
:thumbsup:

Love this newest project Joe,

The Chassis shop where my car is has a Sweptline project too. I'll have to email you pics as I seem to have trouble posting pics from my phone here lately

Very cool, I like it!

A couple more pics of the engine.I set the timing on the Injection pump and started building the compound turbo setup.

IMG_1017.jpg IMG_1018.jpg

Cool. Car Craft ran an article with them putting a CV chassis under a 66 F100. The 49 F1 I'm doing at work is using the chassis from an 04 Explorer. Yours is cooler, of course, because its a Dodge, #1, and Cummins powered, #2.

Not that you need help but;
the Fast & loud/GMG guys did a early {64?}
Frankenstein Dodge Fleetside build with a Crown Vic front end
{& a cheby engine}

The front of the frame IIRC had to be highly modified
straightened, stepped, flattened, boxed & narrowed {IIRC}
just to get the Crown Vic piece to fit & a lower stance...

Look like a decent piece, all suspension & steering, cross-member,
encompassed in one unit...
I'm not a big later Ford guy, especially them Crown Vic's,
old Ford cop/4 drs cars just not my deal,
so I don't know much about them...

Joey has a sister site http://www.fortrucksonly.com too
maybe start a build thread there too, it's a slower site,
it needs some good builds & fresh blood too...

I'm a fan of the 60's to early 70's Dodge trucks...
Most all mine have been Power Wagons thou...
I did have a 66 D-100 long bed/fleetside, I used for a work truck for a while,
Poly 318ci 4speed in it, you couldn't kill that truck
I want to do a Dude version short-bed rendition/interpretation
sort of a Resto-mod/Pro-Touring build some day {Maybe?}

Good luck it sounds {looks?} like a cool project...
I'll check it out from time to time too...

Last edited:
Pretty trick build. Interesting how they got the drivetrain to sync with two 12 valves in it.
Seeing a video of that truck run definitely gives inspiration and motivation.
Sadly I have the same problem as the rest of building cool projects.A shortage of time and money.LOL!!
I am hoping to get my truck in the my shop in about two weeks to finish the suspension and drivetrain mock up.
I will post pic with progress.
Thanks!!

Did you use someones link kit or make your own?

Auto Transport Service
Back