• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Problems with oil pan clearance.... I know, I´ve been warned....

Stagepirat

Local time
1:20 PM
Reaction score
Hello.
I´m still changing the engine on my 1973 Dodge Charger.
It came from factory with a 318 and automatic transmission.
I´m trying to put in a 440 engine with a A833 manual transmission.
the problem I have now, is that the oil pan on my 440 is too large to fit in my car.
I attached you some pictures and also some pictures of the engine and the oil pan.
What oil pan would you recommend and what oil pickup tube goes with it?

Thank you all.

Axel

DSCN3755.JPG DSCN3758.JPG DSCN3760.JPG DSCN3761.JPG DSCN3764.JPG IMG_1339.JPG IMG_1342.JPG IMG_1347.JPG

Are you using the Schumacher engine mounts? If so you need a 971. Mine had a 699 oil pan and pick up as the engine was from a C body. The 699 pick up conflicts with the 971 pan, so I deconflicted it by cutting away a part of the top of the pan and changed the angles on the pick up until it fit.

And I painted my engine the same color as yours. :) Screw orange paint... that's what everyone uses. :(

Ok. Orange Paint isn´t a problem... was on my list anyway.
About the oil pan - the 971 look good. Never heard about it before.... What oil pickup tube belongs to it?
Can I still use the same dipstick?
And do you guys have a recommondation where I could purchase a 971 oil pan?
Here is a picture of the engine mounts I´m trying to use. Not sure, if these are the "Schumacher engine mounts"....

Bildschirmfoto 2017-06-20 um 23.26.53.png

Yep... those are the mounts. I bought my 971 pan on ebay. Paid about $90 for it. I sold my 699 pan on there for about the same price, so cost wise I about broke even.

Thanks. But I´m not sure if the 971 will really fit. Just by judging the pictures I found, it still seems to be very tight. And the two pans I found on eBay are too expensive to buy them only to cut and reeled them.
I found some informations about the dimensions of the 971 pan, but what I need to know is the following distance:

971OP.jpg

Thanks. But I´m not sure if the 971 will really fit. Just by judging the pictures I found, it still seems to be very tight. And the two pans I found on eBay are too expensive to buy them only to cut and reeled them.
I found some informations about the dimensions of the 971 pan, but what I need to know is the following distance:

View attachment 438248
Oh, it will be tight. :) That engine takes up a lot of space, but the 971 will work. I was pretty sure a 699 would work, but the folks at Schumacher insisted it wouldn't and I didn't want to get the ending 3/4 of the way in and have to pull it out.

Also, you should be able to install your passenger side header/exhaust manifold before putting the engine in, but don't put the driver's side or any accessories on. You'll just end up having to take them off (as I learned).

Oh, one other thing. The long bolt on the driver's side motor mount needs to be tightened after you get the engine and trans in, and the trans mounted in using the crossmember. Bolting the trans to the crossmember and the crossmember to the car places the engine at the correct angle and allows you tighten that motor mount bolt properly.

Thank you. I will try to find a 971 oil pan. But the only one right now on eBay is way to expensive....
What do you guys think of the company Moroso? Never heard about it before. But by the pictures they seem to have unusual shaped pans.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/20760/10002/-1

@HEMI-ITIS: Thank you, but the 187 pan is exactly the one I have on my engine right now...

yup 73 and up BBody you'll need the 971 pan as the ISO kframe is quite different than the earlier. You could modify your Kframe for additional clearance

Note: oil capacity of the 971 is not the best that's for sure but fine for a daily driver

EDIT: here is a link to the list of oil pans and applications
http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_enginetrans3.php

Thank you. I will try to find a 971 oil pan. But the only one right now on eBay is way to expensive....

You just have to be patient. I think I looked every day for almost three weeks and then one popped up at the right price.

Moroso has been around for decades. Quality manufacturer of street and race parts.

Thank you. That was exactly the size I was missing. It seems it could fit.
@coloradodave:
Thanks for your post. But there was especially one seize I was missing....

Meisure 971.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back