• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros and Cons of Car Covers - Storing Vehicles Outside

4-Door

Local time
8:18 AM
Reaction score
I have heard different opinions on this.

I own three Mopar projects and no garage. I'll be in this rental house with only a tool shed for the next two years.

One of the cars is driven on Weekends, the other two are not street legal yet.

Is putting a five layer car cover on each of the cars a good idea, or will it trap moisture inside the car cover causing more rust than if the car was left uncovered?

Also would leaving the cars covered 5 days a week, then letting them air out on the weekends be a good best of both worlds scenario?

I used a car cover once and it was the type that only let the moisture go one way and it was fine
and it is not like a tarp that holds moisture in so check the instructions

Those you are looking at are very inexpensive. Too good to be true maybe. I use the Kimberly Clark Blok-It covers from California Car Cover. Not cheap. I use the one model 200, but store in a high and dry carport with a roof. It lasts about 4 years until the areas that are in the sun start to shred. It is not easy to decide what is best. A custom is the best choice, nice and tight and the wind won't blow it off. They can be a pia to put on in windy conditions.

Those you are looking at are very inexpensive. Too good to be true maybe. I use the Kimberly Clark Blok-It covers from California Car Cover. Not cheap. I use the one model 200, but store in a high and dry carport with a roof. It lasts about 4 years until the areas that are in the sun start to shred. It is not easy to decide what is best. A custom is the best choice, nice and tight and the wind won't blow it off. They can be a pia to put on in windy conditions.

In your opinion, if it's a quality car cover it won't have major issues with trapping in moisture?

Honestly, I would get a car cover then cover it in a cheap tarp. The cover protects the paint, the cheap tarp takes the brunt of the UV light and doubles the water protection.

The only problem I can see with that is that condensation that forms under the cover/tarp will have a tough time evaporating.

In your opinion, if it's a quality car cover it won't have major issues with trapping in moisture?

A quality cover should breathe. Check the advertising for "breatheable. Mine does let some dust in, a small price to pay to know it will dry if saturated. Sun, airborn junk and birds are killer on the finish.

Just my opinion
A Good Hi-quality breathing car cover is a must have for the Garage!
They have no place being used OUTSIDE! ALL will trap dust and dirt and rub it into your paint period.

If car is to be stored out doors park it under a CARPORT or put it in a shed or leave it out in the sun.
If a Car cover is used for long periods of time not only will the Paint be damaged from wind dirt etc. but their is also trapping moisture just me but I would rather deal with a dirty car and a little more sun fade/rot.

Just my opinion,but I don't think any car cover is a good solution for long term outdoor car storage. Short term (no more than a few months) is usually ok but not long term. I have a friend that has a nice GTX that needs painting now because the previous owner covered the car outside all the time and the wind blowing the cover around rubbed holes in the paint along the fender ridges etc. Even a cheapo temporary carport is better than a cover as long as it doesn't blow away.

Auto Transport Service
Back