• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proud new owner of Uncle's '69 GTX!!

ksbeanfarmer

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Don't know where to start so here goes. In May of 1969 my only uncle and his dad went to the local Plymouth dealer, there the salesman pulled out a green GTX and a red Cuda with a hemi. My uncle said I like green I'll take the GTX. For just over $3300 he bought the car. The car, like my uncle spent their whole lives on a farm, tearing up gravel roads, always at church on Sundays but Never on a date. My siblings and I made alot of memories with Uncle Lennis and his car growing up. Long story short my wife and I were fortunate enough to purchase his car at his estate auction this month. Words can't express how proud we are to own this car! It is all original except for the Dana rear axle that was swapped out when it was about a month old to make it go faster. Biuld sheet, copy of window sticker, original 10 day temporary tag, shop reciepts from '69, clear factory floor mats, original red stripe spare tire, green top that is flawless, even the tag that explained how to start it, etc... We plan on keeping it just like it is. It has 77k miles on it. What do we need to do to preserve it? How do we treat the top? I read something about adding zinc to 440's to save the cam? What about the original paint = buff, wax? Sorry for the sermon but this car is as original as they get and we don't want to damage it. Any and all information appreciated. Thanks Dave P.S. 440, auto, air grabber hood,

Is it in Kansas? My friend and I was going to go and check out the auction. He was very interested in it, then kinda backed out after I pointed out the dana was long gone.

Awesome car to have, and you should be proud to be able to have a great family heirloom! Please post some pics and let us know more details. Join HPAC, kcmo's mopar club. We had a show the same day as the auction in Olathe.

On your paint, if its the original acrylic enamel, it can take a good buffing well. Your car is such a nice survivor, it would be worth it to take it to a professional. i just sold an original paint 69 340 swinger in R4 Red. I used 3m's micro-finishing compound on a wool pad, then followed with a polish on a foam pad, then some nu-finish wax. Its time consuming, but once done, you'll love your results. Old paint will tend to fade back if its kept in the sun allot, So keep it garaged.

Wenol polish is great for chrome and trim, as well as gauze-type aluminum polish called never-dull.

On your engine compartment, you'll be surprised how Wesleys tire cleaner will clean off grease and grime without disturbing markings and other details. I use it allot on engine cleaning when I take a car to the power washer.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes it was in North Central Kansas. When we pulled on the farm the day of the auction there were atleast 8 trucks pulling car trailers, 5 with out of state tags! Being a family heirloom was the ONLY reason we paid that much for a 48 year old car !!!

We come. Sounds sweet. A GTX survivor Show us some pictures.

Sorry for no pics yet, new to this forum thing, The website "Barn Finds" did a nice story about this car with pictures. Search GTX on their site to find it. Will try and post pics.. Thanks

Is it in Kansas? My friend and I was going to go and check out the auction. He was very interested in it, then kinda backed out after I pointed out the dana was long gone.

Awesome car to have, and you should be proud to be able to have a great family heirloom! Please post some pics and let us know more details. Join HPAC, kcmo's mopar club. We had a show the same day as the auction in Olathe.

On your paint, if its the original acrylic enamel, it can take a good buffing well. Your car is such a nice survivor, it would be worth it to take it to a professional. i just sold an original paint 69 340 swinger in R4 Red. I used 3m's micro-finishing compound on a wool pad, then followed with a polish on a foam pad, then some nu-finish wax. Its time consuming, but once done, you'll love your results. Old paint will tend to fade back if its kept in the sun allot, So keep it garaged.

Wenol polish is great for chrome and trim, as well as gauze-type aluminum polish called never-dull.

On your engine compartment, you'll be surprised how Wesleys tire cleaner will clean off grease and grime without disturbing markings and other details. I use it allot on engine cleaning when I take a car to the power washer.
Thank you, we're just down the road in Ottawa. The car was stored in a dark garage when not driven, it has it's share of scuffs and dings but life on a farm will do that. I think the paint will clean up great in the right hands. Dave

I love the story even w/o pictures !!!(original owner of a '68 Bee)

:welcome: aboard!

This one?

69-Plymouth-GTX-1-630x354.jpg
69-Plymouth-GTX-2-630x354.jpg
69-Plymouth-GTX-3-630x421.jpg
69-Plymouth-GTX-4-630x421.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words. That car was his pride and joy. Lennis lived in a small circle, lived and passed away on the only place he ever knew, doing what he loved, feeding his cattle. Him, our mom and their sister walked a mile across the same section to attend school, the church was next to the school, our mom, Lennis and their parents now rest in the cemetary next to the church. That generation too is almost all gone, the farm is about to change hands and everything else was sold at the auction. Caught myself just sitting behind the wheel the other night going back to the "farm", it was alot of work but awhole lot more memories. He was 22 when he bought the car. Now I gotta go find a Kleenex..........

Howdy from Oregon. Great story and Nice X. I can relate as I know where my Dads 70 Charger is. Some day I will get it back, some day!

That is truely a very nice story. Pls treat treat this special car as if you bought new yourself in 1969. The GTX is a great b body - and yes I'm very bias as a 68 second owner. At some point when you get a chance it would be nice to see more pics of that sweet machine. Welcome to FBBO.

Nice to see an unmolested GTX! Also, it is nice this car stayed in the family!

Congrats and welcome to the forum...

Congratulations! Welcome! Good story, cool car. You are home here!

Auto Transport Service
Back