• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pushrods rubbing on 440 source aluminum heads

I always have to grind, even stock heads (at the casting flash) when using 3/8" pushrods. I had to use 11/32" thick walled Manton pushrods once on a RB with Stage 6 heads, because of spring pressure (scared of 5/16" and the motor was together), which got me out of that bind. Our 471 B dragster required lots of grinding for pushrod clearance with Edelbrock Performer RPM's and I have a buddy with a 499 RB that used Hughes Victor heads, paid extra for their CNC clearancing, and the pushrods still rubbed!

Going to go ahead and take the heads off and do some work to them to keep my current pushrods. Also going to order a set of shims for the rocker arms from 440 source. When I get it all buttoned up I'll try to get a good picture on here, it's my first big block and I'm pretty proud.

Thank you all for the advice and words of wisdom, I would be lost without this site.

- TheQuickster

friend of mine had the same problems and the heads did not last long either.
you are better off paying the extra 700 bucks and getting the Edelbrocks.

1.6 or 1.75 rockers may need more clearance so think about it before you switch from 1.5 (you only need more than 1.5 on the intakes IMHO

friend of mine had the same problems and the heads did not last long either.
you are better off paying the extra 700 bucks and getting the Edelbrocks.
Had my 440 source heads on 4 years no problems, you have problems with all aluminum heads there are good ones and bad.
I have seen bad Edelbrock heads also.

I go through all heads- guides, seat concentricity . stem finins Use an OD hone on the stems, some are finished like files

Auto Transport Service
Back