• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions on Converting original AC system from R12 to R134a?

idrivemopar

Local time
7:22 PM
Reaction score
I have been looking into converting my original AC system from R12 to R134a, and wondering a few things.

Is there another thread on this topic?
Has anyone done this yet and what changes did you make?

I have read the following changes should be made,
1. the Schrader valves need to be changed
2. a new receiver/dryer is recommended
3. replace all 'O' rings with new green ones designed for R134a
4. removing the EPR valve from behind the compressor and install a thermal switch is recommended,
5. replace the compressor oil with Ester oil
6. complete flush of the system before charging with R134a.
7. Some say the condenser should be replaced with a higher capacity one

Comments, feedback?

if your system is working dont change it.r12 is still available so there is no need.r12 is much colder as well.if you change you will need to change all 3 main peices of the sytem.comp,rec/dryer,and expansion valve.a larger condnser is recomended but not required.

It was working 25 years ago when I took it off the car during motor swap, so it certainly needs some tlc. I have to get a new receiver/dryer its rusted out and a new condenser, its smashed, and have the rubber lines replaced, but other than that, this may be the way to go then!

Anyone know the oil capacity for the compressor?

For r12 systems you need about 12 oz. for a completely rebuilt unit and dry system. 8oz for compressor sump only. Put difference into the dryer to lube the valves and system if system is new and dry.

There is an oil level port at the base of the compressor you can use to check the oil level when the system is uncharged that you can also use to add in oil.

All the original parts are available except the hoses so keep your old ones to have new ones fabricated.

Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back