• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator drain cock issue

440beep

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
I drained my Glen Ray repop radiator a few weeks ago, and now I'm trying to refill it. I hate the drain cock, but how does the drain cock work? There's a threaded nut into the radiator and the drain cock screws into it. How the hell does it close? Do I tighten the nut all the way first, then tighten the drain cock? I tried that and the water just pours right back out. Unscrewed the nut a bit, retightened the drain cock and water is still coming out.

WTF!??! How does this work please?

Does it look like this? Righty tighty, lefty loosey

20170826_232226.jpg

Sure looks like it. I will give it another try tomorrow.

Just to add a little more. Tighten the nut with thread sealer in to the radiator.
Screw the t-handle cock so it looks like it is backing out of the nut, that will close the drain.
KK's picture above is in the open/drain position, with t-handle cock screwed into the nut.

I guess another way to look at it is if you are looking in to the drain hole in the t-handle, turn counter clockwise (the lefty loosey) to open the drain, clockwise (the righty tighty) to close the drain.

A added side note, be careful if you still have left hand wheel studs and lug nuts.

Last edited:
I drained my Glen Ray repop radiator a few weeks ago, and now I'm trying to refill it. I hate the drain cock, but how does the drain cock work? There's a threaded nut into the radiator and the drain cock screws into it. How the hell does it close? Do I tighten the nut all the way first, then tighten the drain cock? I tried that and the water just pours right back out. Unscrewed the nut a bit, retightened the drain cock and water is still coming out.

WTF!??! How does this work please?
WOWE!

Yea I figured it out. Had to pull the whole thing out to figure out which way to turn it, becuase righty tighty only opened the drain cock.

Yea I figured it out. Had to pull the whole thing out to figure out which way to turn it, becuase righty tighty only opened the drain cock.
Well you had a 50/50 chance of getting it right :lol:

The norm is to turn them right to close and left to open. Seems to me I found one like yours many moons ago. The smallest things can give you a fit!

Thanks for the update:thumbsup:

Well you had a 50/50 chance of getting it right :lol:

The norm is to turn them right to close and left to open. Seems to me I found one like yours many moons ago. The smallest things can give you a fit!

Thanks for the update:thumbsup:
The norm being why that when you close the drain cock in the Clock wise/Righty way, that when it seals you won't loosen/back out the nut from the radiator. The stem is cut with left hand threads, the nut to radiator is right hand. So much for Lefty and Righty.
Was that a drain cock from the Southpaw Manufacturing Co.?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back